Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the above article and accompanying pictures I wonder if Aryan Snowsill is aware that the Southdown Bus on the layout was formerly operated by Brighton Hove & District and joined the Southdown fleet in January 1969.

It is likely that initialy the vehicle remained in the red & cream BH & D livery, if he contacts the Southdown Enthusiasts Club they may have details of when the vehicles were repainted into Southdown livery.

However, the use of this vehicle, no doubt chosen because it is rear entrance with an open platform restricts the layout date to 1969, and depending on when it was repainted could be a matter of months.

A more suitable vehicle would be one of the "Queen Mary" double deckers delivered to Southdown from 1958 onwards - of which 100 were in service by the end of 1961.

This is not intended as a criticism but to show the potential pitfalls of the "ERA DATING METHOD" which is often far to vague.

Regards

Ian 47

·
Registered
135 Posts
QUOTE (Ian 47 @ 19 Aug 2008, 14:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>After reading the above article and accompanying pictures I wonder if Aryan Snowsill is aware that the Southdown Bus on the layout was formerly operated by Brighton Hove & District and joined the Southdown fleet in January 1969.

It is likely that initialy the vehicle remained in the red & cream BH & D livery, if he contacts the Southdown Enthusiasts Club they may have details of when the vehicles were repainted into Southdown livery.

However, the use of this vehicle, no doubt chosen because it is rear entrance with an open platform restricts the layout date to 1969, and depending on when it was repainted could be a matter of months.

A more suitable vehicle would be one of the "Queen Mary" double deckers delivered to Southdown from 1958 onwards - of which 100 were in service by the end of 1961.

This is not intended as a criticism but to show the potential pitfalls of the "ERA DATING METHOD" which is often far to vague.

Regards

Ian 47

And I thought the Ford Capri in the same shot as the M7 would have been picked up first

Modeller's licence I guess - I'm a big fan of that:)

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (nevardmedia @ 1 Oct 2008, 07:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And I thought the Ford Capri in the same shot as the M7 would have been picked up first

Grrr! I missed that - I must be slipping, especially as I have a reputation for noticing that type of thing!

Regards

1 - 3 of 3 Posts