Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another release by Hornby is the revamped Evening Star/9F series, now I have said I will try one at £252.99 so another one in the £250 zone - this is getting a bit tough on the wallet, 5 pole motor and a 21 pin dcc socket dragging Hornby into a bit nearer the modern age (sort of anti steam age really)

Not seen a release date but one to watch out for, I will not buy 92220 but will take a black one best with lots of grime and dirt as I remember them, no sign of this one but they'll bve out to cash in on the Evening Star version as a matter of priority.

·
In depth idiot
8,464 Posts
In addition to 'oh so pretty' unique 92220, Hornby waved two of the 250 regular black versions in their original release announcement, and one of these was a BR1F equipped job for ER - one of the two most common tenders coupled to 9F's - the other as I recall had a BR1K - a rarity, one of the three mechanical stoker equipped 9F's - so that's two rarities in the original release list.

But this selection neatly covers the major allocations, as the BR1K equipped 9Fs were on LMR, and look much like the typical BR1C used on LMR 9F's, unless examined closely. (I distantly recall that one of the Essery brothers as an LMR fireman at Saltley had little good to say of the mechanical stoker version, in his write up of his BR career.)

Having seen that Hornby now have the coupled wheels at equidistant spacing, I am hopeful that this will turn out a 'killer' 9F, and if so, other than real coal and modest filthing representing a loco a couple of weeks after main works overhaul, that will do nicely. (The Bachmann models on the layout are all in 'moving ash heap' condition.) The challenge, finding a Hornby BR1F equipped 9F model that is available, whenever they go on sale...

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Yes I think the mechanical stoker versions worked Birmingham to Carlisle via Settle and god help the fireman if he had to do it the old fashioned way.
Yes, 92165, 6 and 7 with mechanical stokers were sent to Saltley in 1958 for the Birmingham-Carlisle work. It was Terry Essery who recounts the sorry tale in his book "Saltley Firing Days - Footplate Memories 1950-59" (Silver Link Publishing 1994). Main problem was the lack of correct fuel being delivered to Saltley so that the stoker frequently jammed due to oversize coal lumps.....

·
Premium Member
6,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I must have read that as well I recall he ran out of coal once and limped back to the shed at Saltley with a pristine tender and footplate, I suppose as long as you got steam you could make it home.

·
Premium Member
6,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Meanwhile an all black 9F appears to be 92219 however I also found this note? so I assume this is correct;

Three newly-tooled ‘9Fs’ are due to appear later this year finished as 92167 in BR black with early crests and BR1K tender (R3986), 92194 in BR black with late crests and BR1F tender (R3987) and 92220 Evening Star in BR lined green with late crests and BR1G tender (R3988).
Each will feature a die-cast metal body with locomotive drive, five-pole skew-wound motor, 21-pin Digital Command Control (DCC) decoder socket, firebox glow, detailed cab interior, wire handrails, brake rodding, sprung metal buffers and separately fitted detailing.
Production is expected to begin shortly, subject to any necessary minor amendments to the decoration.
Priced at £252.99 each, delivery is now expected later this autumn.
Visit Hornby for more information.

·
In depth idiot
8,464 Posts
Operation: initial reports favourable. Loco weighs just under 400g, drive runs smoothly, traction very adequate, some videos on utoob. There's overemphasised detail on the smokebox, the superheater header cover plate edges are 'somewhat pronounced. (Unfavourable comparison to their 2006 Britannia tooling where this was subtly represented, just the bolt heads around the outline, which better matches what's visible on the prototype.)

Amended weight, different estimates appearing...

·
In depth idiot
8,464 Posts
There's enough information out now, I'll take a Hornby BR1F version 'some day' when one drifts into view, for the specific reason that this model will make scale speed for the 90+mph that one of the class managed on the ECML. (The Bachmann is geared for freight - quite properly - and this limits it to around scale for 70mph on 12V, and more significantly for starting a heavy freightmay well have a lower crawl speed.) Perhaps Hornby will have amended the body tooling to eliminate the spurious smokebox superheater header cover outline by the time I get around to it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts