Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Hornby (00) BR 2-6-0 IVATT LOCO for £4, I have seen it running on a layout and it is boxed, is that good value ?

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
What else can you get for £4?

An hour's parking at a meter in Westminster... 3/4 gallon of petrol..... large portion of fish and chips.....

Sounds good to me.

David

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE It was a toss up between the loco and the fish and chips mate HA HA.

I'm pleased to see you have your priorities sorted

David

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (f2paul @ 6 May 2008, 08:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not even a gallon of unleaded , but lets not go there.
Anyone else remember when you could get 4 gallons of 4*, change & a fistfull of Greenshield Stamps for a £1 (& a proper note it was too) ?

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
I did not think that Hornby had a BR 2-6-0 IVATT LOCO - I know Bachmann have one but for £4, if it works, a real bargain but then again at £4, not bad for spare parts either.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hornby did do the Ivatt 2-6-0 in both green and black livery variations. I bought one in 1978 (green) wich I finally disposed of about 15 years ago. It wasn't a very good model as I recall. I think it was finally dropped about 1990. You still see them around for sale at shows etc.

Regards

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 6 May 2008, 23:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Anyone else remember when you could get 4 gallons of 4*, change & a fistfull of Greenshield Stamps for a £1 (& a proper note it was too) ?

Showing your age eh? - did you ever save up the stamps to get your Ford Cortina?

Regards

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
I stand corrected re the 2-6-0 Ivatt.
I can see one in the 1979 catalogue. In those days, catalogues did not give the type of motor, etc & I would assume that they would not be an ideal running mechanism if one wanted io run & shunt with it slowly.

·
Registered
352 Posts
£4 thats one stop on the underground? i would say yes, its value for money, even if it just stood in a siding looking pretty, talking of value for money, i bought a 1958 triumph thunderbird (hence thunder) in 1968 for £20 and filled the tank for under a quid, i still got the bike, cant afford the petrol
spend to much on trains,

·
Registered
894 Posts
One stop! nonsense! you could spend all day on the circle line for that. Not that I would though.

You might also be able to get the latest Girls Aloud coaster (album) for that in Woolies. Not that I have it, the ear ache I would get off the other half would be too much, even if I liked it.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (hairyhandedfool @ 8 May 2008, 09:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>One stop! nonsense! you could spend all day on the circle line for that. Not that I would though.

When was the last time you went on the Underground ?

An adult single (daytime) Zone 1 fare for one stop paying cash is £4, however, if you have a Oyster Card its only £1.50

(Source TfL website)

·
Registered
894 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 8 May 2008, 10:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>When was the last time you went on the Underground ?

An adult single (daytime) Zone 1 fare for one stop paying cash is £4, however, if you have a Oyster Card its only £1.50

(Source TfL website)

three years ago but it works on a zonal system so 1 stop in zone 1 is £4 without Oyster but 20 stops in zone 1 is £4 without Oyster, so long as you don't exit the barriers any station. In theory you could visit every station in zone 1 for £4 (without Oyster).

G

·
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 7 May 2008, 07:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Anyone else remember when you could get 4 gallons of 4*, change & a fistfull of Greenshield Stamps for a £1 (& a proper note it was too) ?

I remember driving my MG from Hereford to Lossiemouth in Scotland with Five (5) pounds in my pocket and still had enough left for a couple of pints on arrival but then again it was 1969??????

Dick

1 - 18 of 18 Posts