Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Just to introduce myself.
Built a basic layout in the loft several yrs ago. Left it a year. Then purchased a ZTC 505 while at the NEC a couple of yrs ago. Left it until this last weekend and was thinking about plugging it in. I saw the new Dynamis at the NEC last weekend, and the ZTC hasn't even been hooked up to the layout before it has been replaced. The idea of having the freedom to move about while controling was just to much. Anyhow, I also purchased 2 decoders and fitted one on Sunday to a Bachmann 37. OK, so this is where I am now. Bare base board around the loft with track roughly in place (not fixed).

this is my question......

Things seemed to be going ok until after completing one full circle of the track my class 37 came off the rails at a set of points. Ever since, the remote doesn't seem to see the base station. The green light just keeps flashing and there is no signal indicated on the remote screen. I have checked and both remote and base station are set to '0'. I align both remote and base station close together when I switch them on.

Anybody had the same problem, or any ideas what is going on?

Oh, I have also replaced the batteries (only used for 10 mins anyway) but no difference.

update
well that's typical.
I have tried it again and it seems to be working. I closed everything down in the loft but took the Dynamis down stairs with me. It seems that after about 30 mins of being unplugged the base station and handset now see each other.

This happened to anybody else?

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
The only suggestion I can make is that the derailment caused a short which upset all the electronics and it needed either a prolonged power off and / or a prolonged separation of handset and base station so that re trained when brought back together.

David

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Sounds like a reset facility DWB as you have said a similar thing happened with my prodigy after unplugging and leaving a while.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (dwb @ 24 Nov 2008, 22:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The only suggestion I can make is that the derailment caused a short which upset all the electronics and it needed either a prolonged power off and / or a prolonged separation of handset and base station so that re trained when brought back together.

David

It would seem to be the obvious answer. I spent maybe 45 mins trying different things to get them working... The remote does report if there is a short and this did light up after the derailment.. but it was reporting shorts for quite a while as I had overdone the wiring and created shorts.

I hope it doesn't do this every time something de-rails

Alan

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An interesting development.....

I plugged it back into the track and it didn't work again. So I wondered if it was something about the power to the loft. I have an extension lead up there. I plugged my ZTC 505 and that worked perfect.

Now the Dynamis only works sometimes from the sockets around the house.

I have been looking for the reciept and can't find it......
I always keep reciepts.

Not sure what to do now....... anybody got any ideas?

Alan

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE I have been looking for the reciept and can't find it...... mad.gif I always keep reciepts.

Did you pay with some kind of plastic which will provide an alternative proof of purchase?

If it works on some sockets and not others, it's either a loose or breaking connection in the mains side wiring or a problem with the processor in the main unit starting up. Either way it's not something you're going to be able to fix so returning it ASAP seems to be your best option.

David

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (dwb @ 26 Nov 2008, 20:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Did you pay with some kind of plastic which will provide an alternative proof of purchase?

If it works on some sockets and not others, it's either a loose or breaking connection in the mains side wiring or a problem with the processor in the main unit starting up. Either way it's not something you're going to be able to fix so returning it ASAP seems to be your best option.

David
No I paid by cash........

Will a phone call to Bachmann be any use?

Alan

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Hi,

Initially you could contact the retailer it was purchsed from especially if they are local although they will probably suggest a return to Bachmann .... if i was you i would contact customer service at Bachmann it will be quicker.

·
Registered
54 Posts
QUOTE (upnick @ 26 Nov 2008, 20:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi,

Initially you could contact the retailer it was purchsed from especially if they are local although they will probably suggest a return to Bachmann .... if i was you i would contact customer service at Bachmann it will be quicker.
Hi

Yeah I will phone Bachmann in the morning. The retailer (Cheltenham model centre) was at the Warley railway at the NEC over the weekend, so returning it to them without proof of purchase would be hopeless.

Alan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts