Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
QUOTE (Saint Johnstoun @ 30 Jan 2010, 22:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Recently acquired a Bachmann Class 24.

The cab handrails are a pain! I had to fix them in with a touch of adhesive and then today one caught on something on the layout and was catapulted into oblivion.

I suspect that spares of this ilk will be impossible to obtain.

Why couldn't they have fitted metal ones like the 25s?

Holy thread revival Batman!!

Err... 24s' handrails are completely different to 25s' - they're almost a thin vertical flat plate on two stanchions, whereas the 25s' where cylindrical.

-Rob

·
Registered
55 Posts
QUOTE (BobB @ 31 Jan 2010, 06:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've got three of the earlier 25's; all models of 25/2's with the revised body style and representing the five prototypes that had steam heating boilers fitted, so with water as well as fuel tanks underslung.

I like the idea of sound but would want to retain the models that I have. So for me the question is could the older bodies be fitted to the new sound chassis ?

Has anybody got both who can comment please ?

Bob

I had an original Bachmann 'Tamworth Castle' 25, I bought an 8pin decoder and plugged it straight in. The supplied speaker baffle doesn't fit in a 25, so I just formed one from blu tack. Et viola!

-Rob

·
Registered
55 Posts
QUOTE (BobB @ 1 Feb 2010, 04:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Rob

You make it sound so easy. (Pun ?)

What kit did you use, does it sound OK and where did you stick the speaker ?

Please post a few more details,

Thanks

Bob

Hello Bob,

I used the Howes sound on a Loksound 3.5 8pin decoder, which is supplied with a captive 23mm speaker.

Take the body off the 25, and at the opposite end to the fan, there is a flat area of PCB on the top of the loco chassis, that's where you're going to place the speaker, facing upwards. Take a piece of blu-tack and roll it into a sausage shaped length equal to the circumference of the speaker, wrap it around the speaker's edge, sealing the rear of the speaker to the PCB/chassis - assuming you've plugged in the decoder, place the loco on the track, key up address 3, press F1 and marvel in your 25 sounds. Refit the body after testing - you're done.

-Rob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.