Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
In depth idiot
7,941 Posts
I'm in deepest West Cornwall, Nigel. I have been to Kernow Models in Camborne who are excellent although I don't think they have any DCC systems up and running. I am going to London in November but from previous correspondents on this Forum the London model shop scene looks pretty sparse. Penzance is a long way from anywhere but if I had some addresses day trips could be the answer.
If a road or rail trip out of London is a possibility, Coastal DCC in Ipswich is my 'go to' DCC retailer, what Kevin Dickerson doesn't know about DCC probably isn't worth knowing, and he's very helpful to boot. (Avoid Saturdays when exhibitions restart as he regularly sets up shop and demonstrates at those on the dry side). I'd suggest a call ahead if you want to book a demo slot.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Many thanks. Bidefords a lot nearer, there and back in a morning. This forum is great, lots of useful info.

·
Premium Member
6,229 Posts
Osbournes are just to the south and higher than the Market place in Bideford, there is a second model shop at the market another option is Pecorama, lots of layouts on display, big shop but everything is full retail this is at Beer near Seaton another option is the shop at Buckfastleigh station, good selection, not much in the way of bargains but a good visit another option is Collets in Exmouth, moved to a bigger shop a couple of years back just up the road from the old one on Albion street, just about everything a bit cheaper than list and Paignton Model shop on Hyde road close to the station has good selection and just to add to the Peco mix there is the secret shop at Buckfastleigh where the factory for plastic kits reside at the back of the town, been there just the once, so a good day out for you but do not come this way on Fridays as it is terrible on the A30 on summer Fridays. Also to be found in the area is the one on Queen Street Newton Abbot called Bekra, good for scenery but weak on rolling stock, if lucky can park outside and for those who go a bit further there is Buffers between Axminster and Chard on the old Fosse Way less stock than it used to have but still worthwhile. So thats about all the retailers round here others having packed up/gone away such as Harding at North Bridge Exeter.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Many thanks for that Kristopher, looks like a roundup of West Country model shops. The household authorities have been talking about getting out more and seeing more pf Devon. I'm sure if I managed to include some retail therapy on the way we could cover most of those (not Seaton) in a long day.

·
In depth idiot
7,941 Posts
Not just Fridays on the A30; wait yet a week or so for all the children to be herded back into captivity for their own good, and it will be much better.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I'm with you there all the way. Penzance is where they all end up and it's frequently chaos. I went to the model shop in Camborne last week, 17 miles, took me an hour and a half to get home. I was thinking of a nice autumn trip once a little sanity has returned. A leisurely drive, a pub lunch and bring home all the goodies I'm currently lacking.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts