Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BromsMods,
Wish I had seen your site before I splashed out £324 on my system.
Having said that I am over the moon with it. Have only had it a week and was very nervous about changing from DC but with the NCE its very user friendly and practically holds your hand as it takes you through the set-up. Iwould recommend it to any-one.
MickD
P.S. What is your best price on D13SR de-coders I dare not look, as I have just paid £99 for a pck of 10.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Update - NCE Power Cab now available in the UK. There will be some expansion possibilities to the basic system, which will be available soon, These incldue the Smart Booster to alow up to 3Amp supply, and USB PC connection.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just received my NCE power CAB from Bromsmods this morning well chuffed, same throttle as the power pro, backlit display, now I can turn the lights off and control my trains at the same time had a mrc prodigy advance before this, great functionality and all this for £95.00!! just waiting for the booster now.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had the Lenz Set 100 prior to the NCE, what a joy to use so much easier and user freindly than the lenz, well chuffed a very capable system, I just need a little bit more juice, the booster should sort that when it's released

·
Registered
139 Posts
QUOTE (Dennis David @ 4 Jun 2006, 00:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't know why Lenz doesn't come out with a better hand held.

I agree there Dennis, I'm surprised they haven't improved the handset and made a more user friendly system, I haven't looked back since buying the NCE and will probably buy the Power Pro as my layout grow's and use the Power Cab as an additional handset

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>I don't know why Lenz doesn't come out with a better hand held.
I think they'be been on the (b)leading edge of technology for too long and are putting their efforts into other things like their O gauge range. They also do a lot of design work for other people - eg Bachmann and I believe they are behind the electronics in the Heljan container crane.

David

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>their O gauge
One only needs to post twice for OO gauge. O gauge is big enough to stand up for itself

David

·
Registered
697 Posts
QUOTE (Dennis David @ 4 Jun 2006, 00:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't know why Lenz doesn't come out with a better hand held.
Lenz run the risk of falling behind in the handset and startset market.
New budget systems like the NCE Power Cab, Hornby Elite, and Roco MultiMouse have made the Lenz Compact redundant as a starter option, and in specification are "knocking on the door" of more expensive systems like the Lenz Set 90 & 100.

Lenz seem to have poured all their efforts into other areas of DCC, such as producing all the wonderful add on modules and introducing the excellent Silver and Gold range of decoders. Now they are pushing into model Locomotives. It must be time to look at the basic DCC system itself.

The Lenz 100 is a very good system but the handset/throttle needs updating in a number of areas, not least the display and an easier method for changing points/route setting for those who want to do it via the handset.
The Lenz Compact urgently needs replacing if they intend to continue offering a budget product. It's a very dated design with limited capability and only 2 digit addressing. Newer similarly priced alternatives have it licked for specification and functionality.
If I was looking for a budget or first system, I now wouldn't even consider it.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE The Lenz Compact urgently needs replacing if they intend to continue offering a budget product. It's a very dated design with limited capability and only 2 digit addressing. Newer similarly priced alternatives have it licked for specification and functionality.
If I was looking for a budget or first system, I now wouldn't even consider it.

Lenz really do seem to have dropped behind a bit here. The Roco Multimouse seems to be the best budget option at the moment. I would have thought Lenz would have had a new system out by now.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts