Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts

Metcalfe Models have announced the release of two new kits for their OO scale range.

Kit PO250 contains a large manor farm house and a small farm worker's cottage. Kit PO251 contains a barn and tractor shed.

You can find out more by visiting the Metcalfe Models website and following the New Products image in the top right corner.

David

·
Registered
342 Posts
Nice looking buildings but the barn doesn't look too barn like more a courtyard entrance building to a stately home but a welcome addition to their range all the same

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
>but the barn doesn't look too barn like
Maybe they're like that up in the Yorkshire Dales?

David

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I think these models may be based on Cotswold practice. Most Dales barns have stone roofs - the Metcalf ones look far more like slate. Also the stonework on the walls looks too neat and well-coursed. In Yorkshire its tends to be rather more irregular and larger stones. Also Yorkshire farms tend to be more the 'long house' type where the barn forms one end of the farmhouse; field barns are smaller buildings with space for cattle downstairs and hay/fodder storage upstairs, so don't need the large wagon door.
But as only a regular visitor to Yorkshire, not an inhabitant, I am prepared to be corrected.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
While these are ok and good value for money, I prefer the Townstreet ones for that real stone look. I got a few of their farm buildings and the effect is great. They are unfortunately a hell of a lot more expensive. While I like the Metcalfe kits, they do look a bit two dimensional when seen up close.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Neil, try using Metcalf as a base shape then adding gutters, down pipes, roof slates and plastic lintels. Quicker than sratchbuilding, cheaper than Townstreet, more realistic than standard, BUT I still will use Townstreet for the prominent/important buildings or Ten Commandments for the smaller structures (www.castinstone.co.uk). Why? Cos you can't beat a good stonecast model for realism.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Not Cotswold buildings - that's for sure. I'd go with the Dales or the Peak District. Odd to have a window on the apex of a major arch like that....

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I think in view of 60134's comments I'd look at the Peak District or to the west of it.
Is it a window over the arch or a hole to shove straw/hay etc into from a wagon for storage?
Regards,
John Webb

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Gwent rail @ 4 Oct 2006, 21:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Neil, try using Metcalf as a base shape then adding gutters, down pipes, roof slates and plastic lintels. Quicker than sratchbuilding, cheaper than Townstreet, more realistic than standard, BUT I still will use Townstreet for the prominent/important buildings or Ten Commandments for the smaller structures (www.castinstone.co.uk). Why? Cos you can't beat a good stonecast model for realism.

Thats pretty much what I do. I have the Townstreet ones at the front and the Metcalfe, Superquick at the back where you can't see them too clearly. I haven't tried Ten Commandments before. Are they any good? I found out recently that they are located near where I (used to) live in Scotland. I wouldn't mind giving them a go.

·
Registered
370 Posts
In reply to your query Neil, I've got Ten Commandments Coal Depot set, The Stone Coaling stage, some of their smaller bits and pieces and I'm experimenting with the Dry Stone Walling. I've also seen a lot of their products displayed at exhibitions (in a painted, finished state for demonstration purposes) and so far, so good. They seem to slot in nicely with Townstreet and because they concentrate on the smaller castings, don't clash with similar product. I would definitely recommend them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts