Model Railway Forum banner
241 - 260 of 861 Posts

·
Why is'nt it easy !!
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
I have been asked quite a few times now about how I have laid my points and the tracks going to and coming from them so here is a few photos covering the steps that I followed ... not sure if this is the best way but it was my way ... ( is there a song in there somewhere ?? )

Once I have the point laid and have drilled an 8mm hole for my point motor I fix the point in place then using Track Setters to align the track to the point i follow the next 3 steps.

Step 1 - connect the track and use a straight track setter to make sure the track is lined up with the point and is aligned with the point rails and fix the end in place.

Step 2 - use a curved track setter to set a smooth curve 2 inches from the point connection and fix the curved section.

Step 3 - I use peco track spacers and a straight track setter to manage the track distance and fix in place.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Not only have you been pinching my stock thru the night, but now reading the same books as me...

But seriously folks...funny how you learn something from everywhere and yr comment re using 8mm drill for the point motor rod is a big help as I had cut out a complete ~20x10 mm hole for the motor with a jigsaw (and fixing it diect to the point) and it was a pain ie shaking the board to pieces...I think I have seen those extended actuator rods somewhere - is that what you used?

·
Why is'nt it easy !!
2,155 Posts
QUOTE (reddo @ 5 Feb 2013, 16:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not only have you been pinching my stock thru the night, but now reading the same books as me...

But seriously folks...funny how you learn something from everywhere and yr comment re using 8mm drill for the point motor rod is a big help as I had cut out a complete ~20x10 mm hole for the motor with a jigsaw (and fixing it diect to the point) and it was a pain ie shaking the board to pieces...I think I have seen those extended actuator rods somewhere - is that what you used?

Hi reddo, im useing Cobalts and these come with very long arms... :) but you can get extended arms for the point motors you are useing

Or try Piano wire

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Piano-Wire-3m-lo...=item3cce46d580

·
Why is&#39;nt it easy &#33;&#33;
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
QUOTE (silky_jack @ 5 Feb 2013, 16:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Anthony, that looks an excellent technique.....I always just go by what looks right, but I prefer your method.

Hi Jack, I also used to go by eye but I had the odd point that some loco's came off on so when I started again I used this method and to date I have had no issues at all so i can only asume my eyes are not as good as I thought they were

·
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
QUOTE (steve-scfc @ 5 Feb 2013, 17:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i love your gentle sweeps Ant there excellent just like the real thing

Thanks Steve

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
THE ABOVE.........Has again been copied from the files of dt's method's, and adjusted to suit Anonymity's 566. requirements......

·
2,155 Posts
QUOTE (David Todd @ 5 Feb 2013, 17:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>THE ABOVE.........Has again been copied from the files of dt's method's, and adjusted to suit Anonymity's 566. requirements......

Oh you wish .......... Im sure I told you that you dont need track setters for set-track !!!!!

·
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
QUOTE (poindexter @ 5 Feb 2013, 19:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice backscene. Looks like the Cleveland hills! I was looking for Roseberry Topping at one point!

Guy

Hi Guy,

They do a bit but I was thinking from over the other side of Guisbrough Hills ...

you can have Roseberry Topping if you want all you need to do is take some shots and contact the ID Backsecnes chap vis the link below and he will turn what you send him into a backscene....

http://www.art-printers.com/index.html

·
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·
Hi Guy well as you know im only a few miles away from there......

·
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #254 ·
Back scene update ..... so yesterday I put the first test sections up of my back scene up using the same spray glue that I used on my Two Tunnels test section, now tow tunnels is mounted on the wall in my house nice warm environment but my layout in my garage .... now I have put a ceiling up in the garage and 330mm loft insulation and sealed my garage door and i have to say it does feel ok in there but not ok enough for the spray glue as this is what was waiting for me when I popped in there tonight :-

So into phase 2 we go .... pva and water mix at about 60/40 ish maybe 70/40 and I have also added the final back scene for this side of the layout :-

The pva/water mix held the back scene almost as soon as the paper was pressed against it so this is what I will use in the garage for the other back scenes.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Hi Anthony,

The re - glued full length backscene looks excellent & not a "bubble" in sight. Out of interest what is the max length of each backscene section that can be printed, or should I look on the earlier link ?

As for the empty box shef, it looks like you are planning to put more rolling stock on the layout, given the space below the soffit & the top boxes LOL !

Cheers,

Norm

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
QUOTE glued full length backscene looks excellent & not a "bubble" in sight.

He was once again, under guidance from me, via "Free Skype Video Calling", (at my expense no doubt), Anthony called for help.
2hrs of my modelling evening he took from me, in that time, all I had to say was, "Up a bit", "down a bit" via live video, by then, it was midnight.

·
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #259 ·
QUOTE (Norman Byrne @ 6 Feb 2013, 07:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Anthony,

The re - glued full length backscene looks excellent & not a "bubble" in sight. Out of interest what is the max length of each backscene section that can be printed, or should I look on the earlier link ?

As for the empty box shef, it looks like you are planning to put more rolling stock on the layout, given the space below the soffit & the top boxes LOL !

Cheers,

Norm

Hi Nom,

The backscenes come in 5ft strips and im sure he does them in longer strips so jus give them a call ....... as for more stock im on a Hattons/Rails ban at the moment !!!!!!!

·
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 ·
QUOTE (reddo @ 6 Feb 2013, 08:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Don't get him started...Hattons can't keep up with his orders as it is...

Oh you are spot on ..........

241 - 260 of 861 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.