Model Railway Forum banner
821 - 840 of 861 Posts

·
Why is'nt it easy !!
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #821 ·
I have spent the morning setting up my Bachmann class 150/2 with a sound chip and speaker. I have taken a few photos etc and recorded a short video.

Once you have the body off its quite easy to remove the lighting PCB.

Then you remove a section of the seating that is covering the speaker socket.

I used the supplied speaker chamber and sealed it with BluTack.

However once in place you cannot put the removed seating section back in this is not a big issues as you cant really see the speaker when the loco is running round but I may replace this later with two sugar cube speakers as these will drop down lower in the speaker well.

A short video of the 150 running.

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/f1HOimItkNM?rel=0

·
Why is'nt it easy !!
2,155 Posts
Second job for the day Bachmann Freightliner class 70 .. 70005 this is a weathered version and i have used a 4 ohm ESU speaker in a shallow speaker chamber.

I have installed the detail parts on the front and a kaydee coupler.

·
Why is'nt it easy !!
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #823 ·
I have decided to install my last sound chip with class 66 sounds installed into this 66....

This is the first time out of the box and i found this part loose in the box ...

Can anyone tell me what it is and were i need to conect it ??

My second question is what do people use to attach loco name plates ??

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
V nice...and once again far too neat and tidy for my liking
I went straight to the DCC Sound version on the Class 70 when it came out...thought it was a lot of money when it came out but now just makes me laugh relative to what is being asked for DCC Sound Fitted locos. I also recall one of the first locos to be shipped slipped the chains when being unloaded at the docks and bent the chassis - had to be returned to Canada/US. I have the Rail mag somewhere with the pictures.
The owners were not impressed. I think there were 9 locomotives in the first shipment.

Re nameplates - I have read that some people use a tiny amount of varnish as they only need the lightest fixing. It is one of my biggest quandaries - to Fit or not to Fit

Totally off topic - I spent the whole day sorting railway and car posters and then framing them in preparation for mounting in the garage and rail room); this as a consequence to use time constructively in that I need a special socket (triple square spline - the Germans idea of a sense of humour) to partially drop the front wishbones on the R8 (to install the new struts) and no shops are open in France on a Sunday or Easter BH Monday. Again apologies for the digression...

You may be right on the rationalization; I have pretty much reached capacity on the space in the MR room...oops

·
Why is'nt it easy !!
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #826 ·
QUOTE (DanceMaster @ 18 Apr 2017, 11:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The 'spare' part looks like it is from the underside of the 66.....turn over one of your other 66's and compare the two. Worth a try, apart from that I don't have a clue !

Hi Tony, I think i have worked it out .....

·
Why is&#39;nt it easy &#33;&#33;
2,155 Posts
So after a day out with the family in Whitby i thought i would finish setting up the class 66 with the sound chip that i had re-blown ..

So i thought i would use two sugar cube speakers but first you have to solder wires to thes and they are quite small so this was the first test ....

So this part was mission success. .. or so i thought but then i realised that this sound chip is a v3.5 and this needs a 100 ohm speaker and yes i dont have any more of those
i will have to see if i can sort one out for the weekend.

·
2,155 Posts

·
What do I put here&#33;?&#33;
883 Posts
Hi Anthony,
Glad to see you secured your sugar cubes well during soldering!
The first time I ever attempted to solder to one of these things, I had simply laid it on my soldering pad as I have done with all the larger items I've ever soldered. Well, as soon as I went near it with the iron, it flew up and stuck to the iron itself!
The clue is in the name!
I was rather shocked and quickly shook the iron in a bit of a panic! The magnet (sorry, speaker!) flew off and took a little retrieving and after I found it, I looked at it and did a Homer Simpson moment!
That's a lot of magnet for so small a mass and it's a powerful one too!
Fortunately no harm was done but lesson learnt.
The 70 sounds good and I look forward to hearing your 66, that was my first sound installation a long time ago - with an 8 pin and maybe an ESU V2!
Cheers,
John.

·
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #830 ·
QUOTE (Allegheny1600 @ 20 Apr 2017, 09:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Anthony,
Glad to see you secured your sugar cubes well during soldering!
The first time I ever attempted to solder to one of these things, I had simply laid it on my soldering pad as I have done with all the larger items I've ever soldered. Well, as soon as I went near it with the iron, it flew up and stuck to the iron itself!
The clue is in the name!
I was rather shocked and quickly shook the iron in a bit of a panic! The magnet (sorry, speaker!) flew off and took a little retrieving and after I found it, I looked at it and did a Homer Simpson moment!
That's a lot of magnet for so small a mass and it's a powerful one too!
Fortunately no harm was done but lesson learnt.
The 70 sounds good and I look forward to hearing your 66, that was my first sound installation a long time ago - with an 8 pin and maybe an ESU V2!
Cheers,
John.

John just because the photos don't show that happening to me doesn't mean it didn't happen lol

I also had a moment with the speaker being attracted to the soldering iron...... only then did the penny drop.

I have ordered a few Base Reflex speakers so should be able to complete the 66 over the weekend as long as they turn up.

·
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #831 ·
I finished off the 11 car Pendolino running video I had started a few weeks back I am now aware that the configuration of this loco is not correct but the next time I have a running session with this I will make sure its in the correct config as I am going to weather it and add sound to it.

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/yI40nLxiREA?rel=0

·
2,155 Posts
So i went into the garage tonight to fit a DCC Chip to my newly acquired class 60

But for the life of me i can't find the two that i know i have however while i was looking for the chips i came across two packs of these ....

So i started to add lighting to my Eurostars ...

I have 6 to do so i will crack on tomorrow after a trip to peters spares for more dcc chips ...

Does anyone know if there is a loco cab out there i can use in the Eurostar's ??

·
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #834 ·
QUOTE (reddo @ 22 Apr 2017, 05:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Serendipity that is...always nice to find a freebie...just like Xmas. I have those kits for my GNER 225s

Indeed it is ...

I also found a 225 and class 90 set for the RES 90....

I really must crack on with the layout as i would like to have the bulk of the container yard area complete by the end of the summer.

·
2,155 Posts
QUOTE (reddo @ 22 Apr 2017, 14:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Cool...which 225 set?

The one found that I had forgotten about is a GNER set but I have also purchased the new Virgin set and also have a full setup of the East Coast livery as well ....

·
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #837 ·
I popped out today to pick up more DCC Chips from Peters Spares and while I was there I picked up a few Base Reflex speakers as the one I have ordered online have not turned up, this allowed me to finish setting up my Kernow Limited Edition Bachmann Branchline 32-979z Class 66 66623 'Bill Bolsover' in Bardon Aggregates/Freightliner livery.

I have done a short sound recording and a short running session with some Dapol Freightliner HIA "Heavy Haul" Limestone Hoppers

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/tJAXef0SOGY?rel=0

·
2,155 Posts
QUOTE (reddo @ 23 Apr 2017, 06:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice but...amazed you didn't come back with a 'happened to find this loco/dmu set lurking in the corner on special' unplanned purchase

Lol Paul I did find a few loco's that I had forgotten all about .... if i get time later today I'll post photos...

·
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #840 ·
So spent a few hours putting locos etc away as i am planning on doing a bit more scenery detail this weekend and found an 8 pin sound chip with class 47 sounds on it so I thought I would put it in this ..

However this is a Bachmann and it's 21 pin ... so had a dig around and found these two Heljan 47's ...

So I put the sound chip in Rebecca with two sugar cube speakers.

And put one of my std DCC Concepts chips in Demelza

821 - 840 of 861 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.