Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been searching my older MRail mags for a review of the GFarish class 47, to no avail. Does anyone out there know the issue number please?
Any feelings online about this model?

Thanks,
Dudley

www.dudleys-photos.co.uk

·
Registered
306 Posts
the new 47 has been slated for the body being too high off the bogies, and also the gear covers under the bogie being low and catching on some points!! there was an article in a recent mag ( cantv remember which ) about lowering the body, and on a thread somewhere? ( maybe not this forum ) some chappy has just removed the gear covers and it gives the clearance and makes dropping lube on the bgears a doddle. in can't sus why they ever enclosed them??

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Which 47 are you referring to Dudley? The one mentioned by locoworks was launched late last year with a totally new body and chassis.

The current Model Rail magazine (February? I get confused about the dates since they went to 13 issues!) has an article on lowering the new 47. The review was in the previous issue (January?) and I thought was very fair in pointing out this defect as well as the many good features of the model (though the "score" of over 90% seemed a bit generous). They didn't pick up on the bogie grounding issue - apparently some of the production is OK in this respect and presumably the magazine got one of these. Other mags have probably reviewed it too - in fact I think I read that Rail Express were reporting Bachmann were going to fix the problems.

The previous 47 has been around for quite a while though Bachmann gave it a new chassis. I have this version which runs very well but the body isn't very accurate particularly round the cabs which look too tall.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Hi Dudley,

The original Model Rail review was in No.125 - December 2008, that review noted "the large gap between body and bogies" by Ben Jones.
The article on lowering the body is in No.127 - February 2009 as a Q&A two page spread by Ben Ando.

There has been an extensive debate on RMweb (and no doubt elsewhere on the web) on the subject, including the problem of axle-boxes not lining-up with the axle ends and the grounding issue, but the grounding issue at least seems to be by no means universal.

My personal view is that while the type 47 is one I will need for my layout, since I haven't had the opportunity to see one for myself I'll hold fire on investing in one. I don't believe I should have to resort to the measures others have advocated to correct the model (although they have shown great ingenuity and skill) - such a shame since the type 57 model looks to have been a trouble free release prior to this. I shall await later releases of this model to see if corrections are incorporated by Bachmann.

Regards.

·
Registered
318 Posts
QUOTE (butler-henderson @ 19 Feb 2009, 18:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Bachmann are apparently reviewing the model with an aim to correct it - to what extent is a case of wait and see.

I'm not so sure that they actually said they would be correcting it. I was under the impression that their comments were more along the lines of that they were aware of the two main issues and were conducting an investigation as to what had gone wrong. That's not quite the same as saying what they will do once the investigation is complete. That will probably depend on the results of the investigation.

And if they do decide to re-tool and re-release that will no doubt impact on other developments and probably slow down the launch of other new products.

G.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey Guys,

having just joined this forum, and having a Type 47 which apparently hits the points, ( see my post Newbie Old Track, on N Gauge ), can anyone please tell me how to remove the gear guards ??.

I have the loco chassis in front of me, and can't see how to remove the bottom plates to then remove the guards.

vbr Chris A.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Rather than repeat it all here, the full story is at:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php...p;sk=t&sd=a

The body height problem is covered first (I think this is the discussion referred to in the Model Rail article, the author certainly posts to it). The bogie grounding issue only surfaces (bad pun?) several pages into this thread, and a solution is a bit further down. Not sure if it is necessary to remove the entire housing below the bogie gears, filing a bit off might be enough. Also as some models don't appear to have the problem, and nobody is sure why, then possibly removing the bogie frame (as below) and re-seating it might cure it. Also have you considered just taking it back to the shop?

I don't have one of these but if it's anything like other recent Farish models the bottom plate is part of the cosmetic bogie frame. The whole bogie can be removed from the body by pulling the bogie down fairly hard. Then inserting a screwdriver from above between one end of the outer frame and the inner bogie will allow it to be levered off its fixing lug. Careful with this one as it is fairly easy to snap the frame, also on some models the coupler spring is also at risk of flying out but I presume this has NEM pockets so there is no such spring.

·
Registered
143 Posts
hi' now ive heard this' think i will hold off on the 47 till the corrections are sorted. if it takes too long'
will buy it and corrct it my self.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts