Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've just joined today and am pleased i've found this site as soon im starting to build a layout in the loft of my house so an advice would be well recieved.

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been to look at the place im moving to and there doesnt seem to be a lot of room in the loft the only other option would be to build it on the floor of the loft but that would reduce storage space.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At a guess i would say about 6' x 6' maybe a little more but there's joists in the way so the spce i have would mostly be used for storage.

·
Registered
521 Posts
He has done an incredibly good job given the awkwardness of those trusses!

I remember while my house was being built, spending much time drawing out the roof space and making hugely (stupidly) ambitious plans for a layout in the attic. Little did I realise how the space would be stuffed with those horrible little trusses once the roof was constructed! I never did try anything up there. Just too much effort, so my admiration to anyone who can overcome it like that. He must be something of a contortionist to have worked up all that baseboarding and then wire it! A really splendid result.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
It is possible to get modern trusses which give more room. They user heavier timber with verticals each side and a high-level horizontal tie-bar instead of the space consuming diagonal struts. But no doubt cost more! Worth bearing in mind if you are building or rebuilding a building.
(My house, being early sixties, has a reasonably clear space, for which I am most grateful!)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks CeeDee and too everyone else,looking at the photos that has given me a light at the end of the tunnel as my loft is very similar.
It needs a lot of work like flooring etc once thats down that should give me the bigger picture.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts