Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been to look at the place im moving to and there doesnt seem to be a lot of room in the loft the only other option would be to build it on the floor of the loft but that would reduce storage space.

·
Registered
375 Posts
This might help you with your space problem. I am not suggesting for one moment that you be as ambitious as this chap is but at least you might get an idea of what might be possible with a bit of good old fashioned jiggery pokery.

Click on the link and scroll down the page.

Round the Joists

·
Registered
521 Posts
He has done an incredibly good job given the awkwardness of those trusses!

I remember while my house was being built, spending much time drawing out the roof space and making hugely (stupidly) ambitious plans for a layout in the attic. Little did I realise how the space would be stuffed with those horrible little trusses once the roof was constructed! I never did try anything up there. Just too much effort, so my admiration to anyone who can overcome it like that. He must be something of a contortionist to have worked up all that baseboarding and then wire it! A really splendid result.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
It is possible to get modern trusses which give more room. They user heavier timber with verticals each side and a high-level horizontal tie-bar instead of the space consuming diagonal struts. But no doubt cost more! Worth bearing in mind if you are building or rebuilding a building.
(My house, being early sixties, has a reasonably clear space, for which I am most grateful!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.