Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
is asleep
758 Posts
Herpa continues to announce a slow trickle of new trucks for 1:160 European modellers...

Herpa 065498. This is a Mercedes-Benz Actros articulated truck with chromium plated tank. Picture from new releases of Herpa: http://www.herpa.de/

It will look nice on layouts along side wagons from the Minitrix 15257 set...

Picture from http://www.modellbahn-spur-n.de/

...or in my case on my new rolling road train! The standards of these trucks are very good for RRP 11 euros which can probably be found more cheaply in shops, and Herpa did recently release some blank trucks and trailers so that they could be customised with homemade decals which are becoming within reach of many more modellers given the recent improvements in printer technology mainly aimed at printing digital photographs. There is no excuse for not making ones own trucks now, especially since the decal designs for hundreds of trucks can be found here at Norbtach's pages:

http://home.wanadoo.nl/schatborn/index2.html

Here is an example for all those living in the UK will be very familiar with the legend of:

(These nets are originally designed to be folded to make a complete paper/card trailer but you can use the design to make decals to transfer onto a blank model (with decal paper available at reasonable prices on eBay). One can adjust the scale of the design to be 1:148 or 1:111 or 1:whatever you wish...)

The question is, who else makes decent model trucks in N scale? Herpa can't be allowed to monopolise the market, even with an offering as good as this!!

Goedel

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
excellent site goedel - lots of ideas in there.

Don't forget Wiking do a few N scale trucks, I also believe that Reitze make some as well. Any use?

Regards

John

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 29 May 2007, 13:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Don't forget Wiking do a few N scale trucks, I also believe that Reitze make some as well. Any use?
Rietze don't do articulated lorries, in fact nothing larger than a transit van. They are good for cars and buses though, for example this nice BahnBus:

MERCEDES-BENZ Citaro, `ÖBB` (A)
Product code 16080
- It should be noted that their website catalogue is feeble because one can't search by scale so one has to browse through pages of 1:43 and 1:87 all jumbled together to find 1:160...unless all 1:160 scale items have a code starting 160...?

Wiking trucks seem rather tricky to track down, except for the occasional release or second hand on eBay. They just seem to look less sophisticated than the Herpa ones, but even then one gets the feeling that all these companies are being a bit feeble about the whole thing with such a thin trickle of new releases, all of which are just repaints...perhaps there isn't much demand? I suppose that if one collects trucks then why not do it in 1:87 or larger - you don't have to worry about fitting a layout into the spare bedroom/on the back of a door and so I guess that we are lucky there are any trucks at all in N. N scale that is, are there any available in 1:148?

Talking of N scale and N gauge, other than couplings and track there is not very much overlap. Or is it true that with the small loading gauge of the UK then the larger European wagons in 1:160 don't look too small? Perhaps 'N scale' should be incorporated in H0 & International, leaving 'N gauge' as just that?

In fact thinking about it the UK and European rail scenes are so different; all the diesels, multiple units and private passenger operators in the UK - all the electrics, locomotive led passenger trains and state operators in Europe...this is off topic but then this thread probably isn't so useful to N gauge modellers (unless they're having a go at forced perspective...
)

Goedel

·
is asleep
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And here she is:

(Alas I forgot to fit the wind deflector? above the cab window for the picture...oh well (at least Herpa made the same mistake! or is it because it is supplied unfitted?)

I'm rather pleased with mine, which came from Morris Models, it has plenty of detail for a 1:160 vehicle and will look perfect on my ÖBB/ÖKOMBI rolling road train, or perhaps driving on the 'Autobahn' when my grand-super-mega-ultra-layout gets built!

I can thoroughly recommend Herpa. If the price is right!!

Goedel

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Hi Goedel,

Have you checked Kibri N scale trucks? You might find something interesting.
Also again a German co. Marks, they do metal trucks in N.
Lemke is another N producer who comes to my mind.

None of them in my opinon can be compared with Herpa. I do collect Container trucks in HO. Herpa & Cararama.

Shall try to picture them when I get a chance.

Cheers
Baykal

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.