Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... here goes yet another loco question (from somebody who has to order everything
)

The new Hornby Class 31 looks like an excellent model. As I've said in my previous posts, I'm mainly interested (now) in models with all-wheel drive and all-wheel pick-ups... and I can see from the review that this new model has this. However, I cannot tell from the review (nor the cut-away drawings) if this new model has flywheels similar to the Bachmann Class 20's, etc.. I've found that the flywheels on the Bachmanns give first-class slow-speed control. So does the new Class 31 have flywheels similar to the Bachmanns?

As an aside: I've just started (in the past 2 months) dusting off all of my old Hornby, Triang and Wrenn stuff that's been in storage for almost 20 years. I'm working on an end-to-end L-shaped shelf layout that's running along 2 walls of my apartment (one side is about 10 and 1/2 ft and the other about 12 ft long. Most of the width is 1 ft, but parts are 2 ft). I'm using Peco code 100 track and points... most of which is over 20 years old. So I'll have an end to end run of about 21ft.

With the exception of my Wrenn 8f... none of my old stuff runs well
However, ALL of my recent Bachmann purchases have run flawlessly. So far I've obtained: 2 Class 25s, 1 Warship Class 42, 1 Class 20, 1 Class 08, 1 V-3 tank BR, 1 N Class 2-6-0.

-MAAS

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I don't think you'll have a problem with this one. I found the working tailights to be really good. You should also try the Bachmann Deltics, Class 40,class 37 and class 46. All are excellent runners and I'm not a diesel fan so consider it high praise.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (maas @ 11 Jun 2007, 09:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>OK... here goes yet another loco question (from somebody who has to order everything
)
The new Hornby Class 31 looks like an excellent model. As I've said in my previous posts, I'm mainly interested (now) in models with all-wheel drive and all-wheel pick-ups... and I can see from the review that this new model has this. However, I cannot tell from the review (nor the cut-away drawings) if this new model has flywheels similar to the Bachmann Class 20's, etc.. I've found that the flywheels on the Bachmanns give first-class slow-speed control. So does the new Class 31 have flywheels similar to the Bachmanns?

As an aside: I've just started (in the past 2 months) dusting off all of my old Hornby, Triang and Wrenn stuff that's been in storage for almost 20 years. I'm working on an end-to-end L-shaped shelf layout that's running along 2 walls of my apartment (one side is about 10 and 1/2 ft and the other about 12 ft long. Most of the width is 1 ft, but parts are 2 ft). I'm using Peco code 100 track and points... most of which is over 20 years old. So I'll have an end to end run of about 21ft.

With the exception of my Wrenn 8f... none of my old stuff runs well
However, ALL of my recent Bachmann purchases have run flawlessly. So far I've obtained: 2 Class 25s, 1 Warship Class 42, 1 Class 20, 1 Class 08, 1 V-3 tank BR, 1 N Class 2-6-0.

-MAAS

·
In depth idiot
7,677 Posts
This is just a personal preference thing, but I was not overly impressed with the running on DC of the Hornby 31 as compared to Bachmann. Instead of the very smooth coasting seen from the Bachmann products when the power was turned off, the 31 stopped pretty abruptly, despite it having flywheels. There are several factors at work: the lights, the fan drive, the smaller centre wheel diameters. I chose to disconnect the fan drive, and also to lightly ream out the gear muff on the centre wheelsets, so that these wheels are not driven: this done (and guarantee invalidated!) it would perform a 'power off' coast very nicely on flywheel momentum.

It should be emphasised that the performance under power is very good, really controllable to low speed with nothing more sophisticated than a DC resistance controller, and now DCC fitted, it is first class runner.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Having used Hornby 31s (along with other locos ) under exhibition conditions on one occasion, they were the best, most reliable runners of the bunch. They do have flywheels.

As you've found, there's a huge different in the running of current generation models compared with what we had 20 years ago

·
Registered
72 Posts
My 31 is the smoothest, quietest model in my fleet (which includes gems such as the Hornby 08, 50, 60, Bach 66, 57, voyager). My new Heljan 33 is running it close, in fact I would say on par with.

PS Im running on traditional DC so I assume DCC would be even better?

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I just wish that these locos had a little sound in them.

That Bachmann Class 20 with sound is so cool on the layout and running the other non-sound-equipped locos makes you feel that there is a definite problem with them.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
> I just wish that these locos had a little sound in them.
Once you've heard, you've just got to have it, don't you? The sound of the 66 on Bachmann's stand yesterday was almost enough to make to start modelling diesels; especially as I had spent most of the previous day on the midland region which seemed to consist of 66, 67, Voyagers and Pendolinos. Didn't see much else.

David

·
Registered
155 Posts
Does this class 31 have opening cab doors like the hornby 08's ????

·
Registered
334 Posts
QUOTE (KODIAK BEAR @ 11 Jun 2007, 21:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Does this class 31 have opening cab doors like the hornby 08's ????

Yes, opening cab doors on hornby 08/09, 31, 50, 60 and new bachmann 37

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE The new Hornby Class 31 looks like an excellent model. Is this another 31 or the same one that came out a year or two ago?

The one that came out a couple of years back was very good. I'm not into diesels at all but I bought this one and like it. One of Hornby's best models in my opinion. I found the drive smooth and quiet.

·
In depth idiot
7,677 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 11 Jun 2007, 18:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I just wish that these locos had a little sound in them.

That Bachmann Class 20 with sound is so cool on the layout and running the other non-sound-equipped locos makes you feel that there is a definite problem with them.
For a DIY addition of sound, if you were prepared to sacrifice the fan drive that Hornby provide, removing the fan sub-assembly should make ample space for a speaker under the fan grille, much as on Bach's 20. The larger sound decoder would probably still fit under the main circuit board, pretty sure I could have got two Lenz golds in there. The only problem I would anticipate is getting enough bass to capture the 'grunt grunt grunt' of a struggling ped.

Of all current classes the one that cries out for sound in my book is the HST. Mostly high pitched stuff so easier for the speaker sizes we are confined to in OO, and so much variety from the 'duo'. I would definitely want the option for a user selectable 'Valenta blow-up', with a big cloud of smoke from an on-board generator...

·
Registered
334 Posts
QUOTE (34C @ 12 Jun 2007, 10:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>For a DIY addition of sound, if you were prepared to sacrifice the fan drive that Hornby provide, removing the fan sub-assembly should make ample space for a speaker under the fan grille, much as on Bach's 20. The larger sound decoder would probably still fit under the main circuit board, pretty sure I could have got two Lenz golds in there. The only problem I would anticipate is getting enough bass to capture the 'grunt grunt grunt' of a struggling ped.

Of all current classes the one that cries out for sound in my book is the HST. Mostly high pitched stuff so easier for the speaker sizes we are confined to in OO, and so much variety from the 'duo'. I would definitely want the option for a user selectable 'Valenta blow-up', with a big cloud of smoke from an on-board generator...

You can indeed get the 20x40 ml sound speaker under the class 31 fan by removing the fan, a working, (ok only working when moving) fan is never going to be as much fun as sound.

SWD already have a HST chip, its very popular with thise that have heard it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
anyone know of a cheap shop to get a blue class 31 please ?

thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts