Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (kiwitrains @ 20 Aug 2008, 15:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Tried to read the CV`s on the R8249 with a Powercab but it doesnt read I thought they (Hornby) had sorted this one out

***They say they have - however I still see the same failure problems with them far too often.... most I see have already given off their "smoke signals" when they come in, so I haven't played with them too much recently....

Did you reading it in programming track mode (press: Programme, 4, enter, 1)?

Richard

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (kiwitrains @ 20 Aug 2008, 16:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes Richard I did, I know I should not have got it but I thought another go and they would have put them right but it looks like a c*** up again unless of course I am doing something wrong

*** It was worth a try, although I still think without CV's 5 and 6 being programmable it'll never be more than very little value as a decoder.

No, you will not be doing anything wrong - I suspect that its still a little quirky as the basic decoder hasn't really changed much... NCE is tested and compliant and the Powercab is without any doubt at all the best "programming handset" on the market for difficult decoders by far due to its quite high programming track current abilities - it handles even the most troublesome decoders with little problem, so I know where I would be looking for fault.

Mind you there;s not much worth reading on the H decoder anyway - Start voltage and momentum are visible effects so should be able to be programmed on the fly using POM, and there's nothing else worth worrying about in the decoders CV's other than address and CV29 configuration. CV29 should default to 6 for short address and 38 for long, and you have it covered....

Richard

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (RAFHAAA96 @ 22 Aug 2008, 20:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You can adjust the frequency on some chips using CVs to optimise noise and motor response, but as I dont have my CV crib sheet handy I cant tell you which one.
Rob

***You cannot adjust anything useful on this chip Rob - only CV1, 2, 3, 4 and 29 (CV29 in part only)!

Richard

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.