·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have Hornby introduced a new standard decoder? Ebay item no.120209210458

·
Trainee pensioner
212 Posts
QUOTE (poliss @ 20 Jan 2008, 12:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Have Hornby introduced a new standard decoder? Ebay item no.120209210458
It's not really a new one, it's an updated version that I believe is supposed to cure the resetting to default address problem and also allows the programmed address to be read back.

There are two new decoders in the 2008 releases See http://www.hornby.com/2008/digital-command...rol,55,HIN.html
The R8245 Sapphire decoder and the R8246 Mini Sapphire. There is also the R8247 accessory decoder which can be set for solenoid point operation or by adjusting CVs can provide a variable current burst or constant on for lights and turntables.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
QUOTE Have Hornby introduced a new standard decoder? Ebay item no.120209210458

I wouldn't wish one on anybody. For a cheap and nasty decoder I've found the Bachmann decoder to be quite good and it does the job without dramatics.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are the Bachmann decoders small enough for N Scale though?

·
Registered
39 Posts
In my experience they're not even small enough for OO ones. Ive gone towards TCS MC2 (5 pack from Bromsgrove Models for 49 quid). They're nice and small and perform brilliantly. Im not a N Gauge guy, but the baccy decoder is quite big- I only use them in my diesel fleet now.

Dave

QUOTE (poliss @ 20 Jan 2008, 21:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Are the Bachmann decoders small enough for N Scale though?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Its just the bog standard hornby, can't say I'm overly impressed, blew my first one within 5 minutes - don't know how! It has very little functionablility, much better off with a cheap Lenz one or a bachmann one, Hornby ones in my experience tend to give a buzz after a few hours of use, dunno whether its just me though?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts