Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
The 254xxx example on the front cover of "British Rail 1948-1978 - A journey by design" does not have any orange separating the blue from the yellow. None of the photos in this book in black and white or colour show any hint of orange at this point. Similarly "The fastest trains in the world" also from the late '70s does not contain any HST photos hinting at orange either. These are the only sources I have and unless the orange stripe was so thin as to become undetectable in black & white or colour at half A4 / A4 size, it looks like the stripe is very late '70s at the earliest.

Now I must go back and read some of the articles I had forgotten all about like the accounts of 05.001 and 05.002

This poster from 1978 doesn't appear to have an orange stripe in it either.

David

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks David, that was my suspicion too. Looks like another slight anomaly in the Hornby livery stakes

Russell

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did wonder about the cantrail stripe...

BUT, that minor detail, aside the look and shape of the overall model looks superb - finally a worthy model of the Class 43 power car! Looking forward to seeing the other releases.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE Looks like another slight anomaly in the Hornby livery stakes

When I did the search on the NRM Poster site, I did turn up one photo of a HST taken by "NRM Staff member" of a HST passing the NRM which appeared to have the orange stripe. The photo is not accurately dated but says "early '80s". Unfortunately my interests had turned to cars and girls by then, so I lost track of modern railway developments. So I tend to the opinion that the orange stripe was introduced in the early 80s and the anomaly is Hornby saying it's a 70s era livery.

David

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (paulrelf @ 14 Nov 2008, 20:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>the overall model looks superb

Having seen one in the flesh today I can confirm that it is a superb looking model - 8-wheel drive/pickup & no traction tyres, heavy too. However, not being an expert I don't know about the details.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Looks very good. It's not worth delving too much on whether it looks accurate enough, just as long as it looks the part thats fine by me.

Also its good that they sell just the power cars now. Helps keep the price down and widens the freedom of choice with intermediate cars. Most permanent household layouts probably cannot house a full-length HST, but I have learnt that allowing compromise and not giving a sod about what other people say are important in making this decision.

·
Registered
894 Posts
The 'Swallow' livery HST is at Hattons and the 'Virgin' one is reviewed in REx mag this month. Both appear to have livery errors, although on the 'Virgin' pair its not to bad and most people probably wouldn't notice anything wrong. To me, the 'Swallow' one looks wrong, but it's just minor errors that contribute to the overall look. Just like Hornby's 50048 immediately looks wrong because the upward stripes are the wrong width, the 'Swallow' HST looks wrong because slight details are not correct.

With all that said the actual mechanism would appear to be great, so if you can touch up a few errors or are happy to live with them then they are great models.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I cant remember the stripes from my late 70's spotting days I wonder if they came in at the same time as large logo blue when Br were trying to update the corporate image

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
I had a close look at the HST on the Hornby stand at Warley. I don't think there's an orange line on this one:-

There may be an optical illusion going on, or Hattons have got something different?

David

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
QUOTE (hairyhandedfool @ 22 Nov 2008, 08:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The 'Swallow' livery HST is at Hattons and the 'Virgin' one is reviewed in REx mag this month. Both appear to have livery errors, although on the 'Virgin' pair its not to bad and most people probably wouldn't notice anything wrong. To me, the 'Swallow' one looks wrong, but it's just minor errors that contribute to the overall look. ..
There's also the little matter of how the livery was applied to the prototype. Traditional hand masked painting techniques always bring the risk of small positioning errors of an inch or so either way. Remember the livery layout under pre-sectorisation BR was largely done by painters with a measuring tape, masking tape and newspaper! None of this high tech pre-cut vinyl lark. I well remember in the BR era looking at a pair of HST noses on adjacent lines from the KX concourse, and they were wearing the same livery - but subtly differently positioned over some of the front end features - and that's assuming the front end features on those power cars were dimensionally closely matched. If the front fairings were produced by traditional panel beating, then they are bespoke, and every one an individual piece.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Yeah I realise that and I can accept it, but they usually look somewhat similar when you look at each of them on their own, and something about that intercity model looks wrong, to me atleast.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE If the front fairings were produced by traditional panel beating,

I don't think they're metal.

David

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought they were fibre glass or some hard wearing bonded equivalent. The cab certainly is as they used to have a stock of them to replace accident damage

Russell

1 - 16 of 16 Posts