Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I must admit that having got used to the size of the rebuilt Merchant Navy the rebuilt West Country/BoB locos look kind of dumpy when viewed side on like that.

No reflection on Hornby it just takes some getting used to.

That is not the first bogie tender every produced by Hornby however it is the best!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Yup...

I like the look of both, guess I know what the next project will be!

Regards

John

·
garage hobbit!!!
1,715 Posts
I reckon I will be heading out for them with my christmas money in the new year!

A couple of King Authers will be on the list now and will just have to pick which BB/WC to go for, hope it doesn't make Clan Line look to dated!

Brian

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
The Arthurs look great. Excalibur has been on the wish list for some time now and those pictures only make the waiting more unbearable. I'm surprised there isn't a water cart tender to go with them (yet) and they seem to have the old loco/tender coupling not the new type introduced with the Brits. As for those Bullieds, Taw Valley please, in red just to be different.
Arethusa

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (5696Arethusa @ 7 Dec 2006, 14:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As for those Bullieds, Taw Valley please, in red just to be different.

Er....Why?

TV looks best in green

REgards

John

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Before they made the Harry Potter books into films the publishers got the owners to paint Taw Valley red to publisize the then latest book. While she was painted red she came through my home town station, Melton Mowbray, and I thought the livery suited her. Being too young to have seen steam in BR service I have no desire to try and recreate what I saw as a child so just to be different I'd like to have her on my layout in red.
Some of the locos on my line are unusual like. that CP in BR Blue, 50007 in GWR green, Oulton Hall in red, I have a class 29 in LNWR black and a 2884 in GWR black.
Arethusa

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Oh no! not more locos to buy. I'm not even halfway through this years list of locos to buy and their dropping more in on me.

Ozzie21

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Hornby are to be congratulated on producing so many variants of the "Arthurs" - Urie version, Maunsell version and Eastern Division version. No doubt the rivet counters will have a field day nit-picking but as far as I'm concerned they have done a great job.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree with pedromorgan about the weathering on the King Arthur - looks more approriate to modern-age weathering than steam age.

Having said that, FULL marks to Hornby - what tremendous models they are turning out these days.

I had heard that the WC is due out on 13th Dec, with the Arthur in the new year (7th or so) - anyone confirm this ?

Oi, wifey, where's mi credit card....

·
Registered
55 Posts
QUOTE (Don Gilham @ 8 Dec 2006, 16:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I agree with pedromorgan about the weathering on the King Arthur - looks more approriate to modern-age weathering than steam age.

I think that 'weathering' has been added to an un-weathered loco using digital trickery. It lookes very 2D and airbrushed to me...

I noticed Hornby did this with some pre-release wagons when the 06 Catalogue first came out - I later bought the release examples and they looked nothing like as bad as the original photo.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
As far as I know no exact release dates have been issued for either class.... I gather, however, that Hornby are air freighting the Lord of the Isles sets in so that folk can have them by Christmas!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts