Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm quite tempted by Hornby's latest offering, in the form of Patriot Class 'Planet'.

I was just wondering if anyone has already bought an example of either class - they look just about the same model to me?

Any opinions on either and any chance of a MRF review appearing on-site in the near future?

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE I was just wondering if anyone has already bought an example of either class - they look just about the same model to me?

Any opinions on either and any chance of a MRF review appearing on-site in the near future?
The cab sides are different but that's as far as I will go without some more in depth research.

As for a review, I hope to receive a "Scot" as a present (the plan is buy it tomorrow
) in early October. If there has been no review done by mid October, I'll do one.

To be honest though, unless you're incredibly fussy about accuracy, go ahead and buy one. Hornby have established a good record with attention to detail in their recent steam locomotive releases. A lot of this will go over most people's heads. It was only recently that I realised that Hornby have produced three different variations of the "Black 5" smokebox, boiler, firebox combination. We're seeing the same sort of thing with the "King Arthurs" and A3s and it is the lack of moulds for the particular smoke deflectors for "The Red Knight" that has caused the postponement of its introduction.

David

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
This earlier thread covers the main points on the Scot, Patriot will be very similar.

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...?showtopic=3487

Having just had the chance to look at a couple of examples, the weaknesses are mainly in the chassis. The bogie wheels which are generic rather than of Stanier pattern, and lack of guard irons and front steps subtract a little from the character of the loco seen from ahead. Hornby continue to inflict their clumsy and fixed over-distance loco to tender coupling on us; though at least on these types it is well hidden by the cab and tender steps. Also no NEM pocket on the tender - duh? But these are readily corrected niggles, on what are otherwise very good models. I manfully resisted temptation, pending the arrival of the Bachmann Jubilee before making a decision on which representative of the LMS 4-6-0 express type to buy.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I'm still waiting on mine turning up. I ordered it two weeks ago from Rails and it still isn't here yet. I ordered some stuff from Hattons the day before and it arrived on Friday.

As David said, Hornby do seem to do a good job on most of their recently introduced steam locos. So it would be a safe bet.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE I'm still waiting on mine turning up.
Mine (46140 - "The King's Royal Rifle Corps") is now on the premises
, I just have to wait until it is presented.

David

·
Registered
182 Posts
I picked up a Royal Scot 'Black Watch' a week ago. Looks to be a fine model, but they have not all travelled well.
Mine had some of the brass effect pipework under the cab snapped off and loose in the box. I will be exchanging it later this week.

The locos use the same metal brackets to secure them in the packaging as the King Arthurs.

On Saturday I picked up a Patriot 'Planet', this was fine. To a novice, the most noticeable difference between the 2 classes is the cab windows, and on the Royal Scot the sand boxes are above the running plates, on the Patriots they are below the running plates.

Both locos have suffered slight 'paint rubbing' in their packaging, on the top of the boilers just behind the chimney where the paint has rubbed to a slight gloss. Judging from my 2 samples they may well all be like this, it doesn't detract too much from what are, to me, another couple of superb steam locos from Hornby.

AshleyH

·
Registered
33 Posts
As the new Hornby Royal Scot with later BR emblem carries overhead electification warnings, can anyone inform me of the earliest date such warning signs would have been used on such a Midland region locomotive? I model, as best I can, BR in the period 1959-60 and am more familiar with the Eastern (Kings Cross, Liverpool St), and Western Regions (holidays at Teignmouth) regions. I note that the rebuilt Patriot is not embellished with the electrification warnings and believe this would be correct for 1959-60?

·
Registered
763 Posts
No electrification flashes before 1960 because there was no overhead electrification before 1960 on the LMR (Excepting the tiny pockets of Lancaster/Morecombe and Manchester Piccadilly/Altringham. The latter was 1500V and there seems in practice to have been far less concern about 1500V than about the new 25kV)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
QUOTE (edzmen @ 29 Sep 2007, 12:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm quite tempted by Hornby's latest offering, in the form of Patriot Class 'Planet'.

I was just wondering if anyone has already bought an example of either class - they look just about the same model to me?

As well as the different cab sides there was a big difference in the front end . The Patriot's frames on either side of the inside cylinder angled straight down to the footplate whereas the Scot 's frames curved .There was also a difference in height and layout of the footplate / cylinder between the two. I have looked at the pictures on Hattons site and it looks as though Hornby have got it right at least as far as the frames go . Alas I haven't the models to compare--- Always hoping .

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
QUOTE (10001 @ 2 Oct 2007, 09:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As well as the different cab sides there was a big difference in the front end . The Patriot's frames on either side of the inside cylinder angled straight down to the footplate whereas the Scot 's frames curved .There was also a difference in height and layout of the footplate / cylinder between the two. I have looked at the pictures on Hattons site and it looks as though Hornby have got it right at least as far as the frames go . Alas I haven't the models to compare---
The cover between the front frame plates was definitely different between the Scot and Pate models I compared: distinct angles with the step detail on the Scot, more rounded and lower than the running plate height on the Pate. Also the flush bufferbeam on the Scot, visible rivet heads on the Pate, though I was not convinced that the Pate bufferbeam was less deep than that on the Scot, as it should be. Subjective impressions (now from memory) but these aspects of the front ends were distinctly different between the two models.

Slightly tangentially, wonder if Hornby will also offer one or both of the 2A boilered Jubilees on the basis of the Patriot?

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE Slightly tangentially, wonder if Hornby will also offer one or both of the 2A boilered Jubilees on the basis of the Patriot?
They would make interesting special editions. Given that we're seeing quite a few model variations being produced by Hornby from the parts kits they create for each locomotive class, it's not the most unlikely thing to happen; or it if was unlikely, reading about it here might give them some ideas

David

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Everyone,
This is my first post, I think Hornby have made enormous strides in the last few years and I particularly admire their LMS(BR) models. The Royal Scots and Patriots look to be fine models with the exception of the generic bogies and one other, to me, a most important item, I knew the real locos as a spotter in the late fifties/early sixties and the real issue I have with these models is the chimney!! It just doesn't look right, better than the Bachman/Mainline effort, but not as good as the Airfix model. What do you think folks??

Rgds...Mike

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
QUOTE (ikks @ 9 Oct 2007, 12:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Everyone,
This is my first post, I think Hornby have made enormous strides in the last few years and I particularly admire their LMS(BR) models. The Royal Scots and Patriots look to be fine models with the exception of the generic bogies and one other, to me, a most important item, I knew the real locos as a spotter in the late fifties/early sixties and the real issue I have with these models is the chimney!! It just doesn't look right, better than the Bachman/Mainline effort, but not as good as the Airfix model. What do you think folks??

Rgds...Mike

Hi Mike .
I'm sure you are correct about the chimney . Checking photos I have, I reckon its too wide at the bottom ie veiwed from the side it should be nearly parallel and not tapering as much as it does . I agree I think the Airfix chimney to be better . It's good to see that Hornby have modelled both the types of topfeeds - Flat top on the earlier Scot rebuilds, and rounder on the later ones and on the Patriots
(10001)

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Here's a photo of the Hornby and Airfix head to head. (The Hornby is the one with the rivets. The Airfix has the dust)
Wheel Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tire Vehicle

I think this proves 10001's point. None of the photos I've looked at show a tapering at the base, though few of them are close to a direct side on shot. If only both preserved Scots weren't in bits being restored, maybe then someone could get a proper look.

David

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts