Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Very smart looking site.

You can see what they are trying to put up in front of the public like this.

Some of the images need a bit of tweaking. Not very friendly to folks using dial-up. The title images are the worst culprits. The main image on the Thomas page is 418 KB in size. I can re-compress it without loss to 132 KB... Who uses dial up anyway these days...

Good to see that they have embraced RSS. Welcome to Web 2.0 guys.

I like the product info database. Good clear info on the products. The search feature on the main page worked when searching for an R-number. Not sure what the Refine option does.

Good to see that accessories and options are given. Coaches and wagons for a particular loco are shown, not just listed.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
>Some of the images need a bit of tweaking. Not very friendly to folks using dial-up. The title images are the worst culprits. The main image on the Thomas page is 418 KB in size. I can re-compress it without loss to 132 KB... Who uses dial up anyway these days...

On my "animal reduced" 480kbps link, these images do take quite some time to "fill in". I think I'm going to have to have to a new connection from the "lead sealed" junction box to the internal master socket installed.

The product releases section is promising. Firth of Tay in the shops this month

David

·
DT
4,794 Posts
The advanced database structure allows many news features to be added. For example service sheets can be linked to products in the database.

I would imagine that they have transferred the current info, the new stuff will come in the new year.

·
Registered
174 Posts
QUOTE (mow @ 5 Dec 2006, 19:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The old Hornby site had Adobe downloadable service sheets. Haven't yet found them on this new site, has anyone found them yet?

If you click on more info for the loco concerend they are on this page as a link for each one.

Darren

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (rb277170 @ 5 Dec 2006, 19:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Why would anyone buy from Hornby direct at full RRP?
Russell

Hornby (& other manufacturers/distributors/importers) only sell direct @ full RRP so that they don't upset their retailers.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Hornby have a 53 second DCC installation video on their new site here. Good job Don. Ok, now do a Britannia or a M7 in 53 seconds

Sure, I'm being mean, but the install is dead easy and Don had obviously practised a bit with the decoder ready for the particular loco. There was also quite a bit of space in the boiler. DCC is that simple when all the variables are working in your favour.

Good to see Hornby using video online. I hope to see plenty more.

The text next to the video refers to another install. Don't get confused.

Those Hornby Decoders are small indeed. Another bonus - if I can get them to work. I have 4 on their merry way to me today.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
>Why would anyone buy from Hornby direct at full RRP?
The un-initiated who are buying for someone else. I was given a Scalextric Ferrari F1 last year + decoder chip; both were bought on line direct from the Scalextric site. Fitting the decoder was "fun"

David

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well done Hornby! A crisp clean modern design.

However, I would love to see something other than the broadside view images in the product section. These don't do the recent models justice.

Here's to the 2007 releases.

Chip

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Hornby could have used Bachmann's Epoch system....

From the title image are Hornby hinting that they are going to offer model (electric powered) locomotives with a smoke effect in 2007?

Only for LNER modellers of course!

Strange opinion poll:-

QUOTE Opinion Poll

What would you like to see more of on Hornby.com?

Improved Forums

Video Demonstrations

Competitions

No "all" option.

Nice to see live opinion polls though.

Happy modelling
Gary

PS yes I know Live Steam is electric powered to a fashion...

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Different scale buildings are mixed up or appear to be, they should clearly identify by gauge which building are what gauge. Apart from that it's an improvement.

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 6 Dec 2006, 12:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hornby could have used Bachmann's Epoch system....

From the title image are Hornby hinting that they are going to offer model (electric powered) locomotives with a smoke effect in 2007?

Gary, the models in the picture are all live steam models. If you look at them, they all have the "1999" super-detail tender drive bodyshells.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE Gary, the models in the picture are all live steam models. If you look at them, they all have the "1999" super-detail tender drive bodyshells.

Whoops!

It was an nice theory while it lasted.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 6 Dec 2006, 11:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hornby could have used Bachmann's Epoch system....

Why should they? The Bachmann "epoch" system is unneccassarily complicated. especially if compared to that used by Fleischmann, Roco, etc.

Regards

John

·
Registered
64 Posts
Epochs no thanks - keep it simple just list the actual dates for the model. Model Rail tried to use the Bachmann Epoch system and it makes a mokery of the SR M7 which is according to the Epoch is suitable from 1923-1948. Has it has no E prefix it portrays the loco after the July 1931 SR renumbering scheme and presumably before it recieved a Bulleid Sunshine lettered livery

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE Gary, the models in the picture are all live steam models. If you look at them, they all have the "1999" super-detail tender drive bodyshells.

Whoops!

It was an nice theory while it lasted.

Happy modelling

There's nothing stopping you installing a smoke generator yourself though. It's about as hard as hard wiring a decoder. Usually.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts