Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Has any other model manufacturer shown some willingness to finally put a decent 00 gauge HST on the shelves? Bachmann would be the preferred choice. A new range of BR Mk3 coaching stock - both loco-hauled and HST versions would nicely compliment their excellent existing Mk1 and Mk2 range.
Or what is stopping Heljan? They could have a go.
Imagine if Fleischmann or Roco had a go in 00 gauge, now that would be a top model!!
Had Lima flush-glazed their coaches, fitted correct colour seating and not fitted buffers they would have been much better.
Hornby can stick with their poor ancient toy effort. I am just not interested. After 30 years its about time a proper model was made with correctly detailed coaches with the right colour seats. The Power Cars need to have the cab shape done correctly to capture the look and directional lighting fitted.
What other features would people like to see on a new HST model?
And what manufacturer should make it?
Isn't it about time Hornby's HST model was sold as a junior starter (as with their ancient and crude class 37 and 47 toys) or just dumped into room 101?
Would like to hear other views on this subject. After all the HST is a modern transport icon of our time and desrves something better than a old toy.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (DriverSam @ 22 Nov 2006, 13:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Imagine if Fleischmann or Roco had a go in 00 gauge, now that would be a top model!!

Fleischmann produced the Warship in 2 versions & 3 Bullied coaches in the late 70's - abeit in HO. They were excellent models, but did not sell well, although they were to a correct gauge/scale ratio.

The UK market still preferes narrow gauge ! (LOL).

Personally, IMHO, even if on the very, very slim chance FLM, Roco or Trix produced UK outline in OO the prices would be too expensive for the average UK modeller.

G

·
I'm not so sure about prices being too high for UK modellers if Fleischmann, Roco or Trix made a 00 guage entry for the HST. There are many serious modellers who pay for additional detail on their existing models to bring them up to scratch. If a serious HST model were produced in the first place it would save a lot of time and money trying to put right the current inferior offering from Hornby. Look at the DB ICE3 from Trix. Why can't British models be like this? OK so its expensive but you get what you pay for. The detail is incredible and the modeller does not have to resort to the scalpel and airbrush to correct the manufacturers mistakes. Hornby are still aiming at young children with their HST which is fine but where is the serious alternative? A Trix HST would be the dogs doodahs! No wonder so many modellers turn their back on the UK market and go continental or USA.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (60134 @ 22 Nov 2006, 17:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Fleischmann still produce the warships and Bulleid coaches.

They actually stopped making it some years ago, but their is still some old stock around (including their wharehouse I think).

G

·
In relation to the comment about a Fleischmann or Roco HST potentially being too expensive, you only have to go on eBay to see there are many modellers and collectors with plenty of money to spend. Look at the Limited Editions and obsolete items that go for a small fortune. Even if a super-detailed top quality model HST were sold as a train pack with an add-on pack of coaches sold separately, i'm sure it would sell well. Especially if the production runs allowed for all the past and present liveries to be represented. Heljan seem to manage very well in this department.
For years we have had a basic toy HST for kids, I think its about time serious modellers and collectors should have the chance to own a high specification example with the correct features and detail. The demand is out there and so it appears is the money. I'm sure the Blue Pullman enthusiasts will agree!

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
DriverSam,

Probably a need to make a few corrections.

The main issue with the Hornby HST is the power cars. Agree with you on all points that they need replacing. I believe the shape originates from the fact that the models were introduced prior to the production prototype hitting the rails. Even a replacement with the Lima version with new mechanism a la bubble car would be a big step in the right direction.

Hornby upgraded their MKIII coaches a few years ago and are now correct length, correct number of windows and flush glazed. They really are very good now.
The main issue has been the lack of a TGS. This gap has now been filled with a re-introduction of the Lima model with Hornby MKIII bogies fitted and flush glazing. I haven't seen one of these to be able to comment.

I have a set of Lima MKIII's which correctly have blue seats in second class and orange in first, so I'm not quite sure where your information about incorrect seating colours comes from unless blue and orange is incorrect ?
As for buffers, ever heard of a craft knife ?

Graham Plowman

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Guest @ 24 Nov 2006, 00:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>In relation to the comment about a Fleischmann or Roco HST potentially being too expensive, you only have to go on eBay to see there are many modellers and collectors with plenty of money to spend. Look at the Limited Editions and obsolete items that go for a small fortune.

This is very true, but as far as the manufacurers are concerned this is a very, very small market - if these items were common, then they would not command the sort of prices that theydo !

Don't forget manufactures are in the business of making money. They know their market & with few exceptions get it right.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>Hornby upgraded their MKIII coaches a few years ago and are now correct length
which is why I bought Jouef Mk IIIs for the HST I had many years ago. Are the Jouef moulds the basis for the Lima or are they lost forever?

David

·
Registered
334 Posts
I always understood that the Lima Mk3s were their own production not related to Jouef. Weren't they separate companies at the time?.

They still had buffers and the Jouef wheels were awful.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>I always understood that the Lima Mk3s were their own production not related to Jouef. Weren't they separate companies at the time?.

The takeover of Jouef by Lima took place during my 20 year holiday from modelling, so I can't say.

>They still had buffers and the Jouef wheels were awful.
But the length more than made up for that compared to the "shorty" MkIII that came with the Hornby HST.

David

G

·
The Lima and Hornby Mk3 coaches are based on the HST version. The Jouef Mk3 coaches were actually based on the loco hauled version and not the HST Mk3. Some differences are three roof pods at either end instead of one large square one on the HST version and handrails on each corner above the buffers. And of course the buffers themselves (correctly portrayed by Jouef - loco hauled Mk3 coaches do have buffers). Have a look st some pictures on the internet of the two versions of the Mk3 coach and you'll see what I mean.
As for the comment 'Ever heard of a craft knife' - why should the modeller put up with errors that the manufacturer has ignored and never bothered to put right! It would be just as easy for them not to fit buffers where appropriate in first place!

G

·
To the person who wrote 'Ever heard of a craft knife' in relation to cutting the ficticious buffers from Hornby's bad reintroduction of Lima's TGS - would they say the same if Bachmann had fitted a chimney to their class 66 model! I think not!
Why should any one pay for a model only to cut bits of it off which shouldn't be there in the first place because of the manufactures poor research?
Ever heard of 'Should have got it right in the first place?!'

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Guest @ 21 Dec 2006, 22:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Why should any one pay for a model only to cut bits of it off which shouldn't be there in the first place because of the manufactures poor research?
Ever heard of 'Should have got it right in the first place?!'

This once again comes doen to you pay your money and make your choice. It is not unusual for any modeller to buy a model and then modify it to their own standards. This is why you see eight coach trains, six of which have the same number. Moels have to be made to a price at which the public will buy, not everyone would be prepared to pay £40.00+ for a Mk3 even if it was absolutely perfect.

Regards

John

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 22 Dec 2006, 17:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I had one of these in my lawn until the cat got it

OK..........so I missed the 'd' out of models!! and anyway they are spelt moles...

Regards

John

G

·
Perhaps of interest to the forum members! Reference to Fleischmann "Warship" models - the electric motors fitted in the Warships are of the same type used in Fleischmann three car DMU (coloured red or green).
The motor fitted in the Warship and connecting gear to the bogy wheels, where such, that the Warship ran extremely quiet in operation - in comparison the same type of motor and current connecting assembly is much noisier in operation to the extent of being at times most irritating to the human ear.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Guest @ 24 Dec 2006, 18:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Perhaps of interest to the forum members! Reference to Fleischmann "Warship" models - the electric motors fitted in the Warships are of the same type used in Fleischmann three car DMU (coloured red or green).
The motor fitted in the Warship and connecting gear to the bogy wheels, where such, that the Warship ran extremely quiet in operation - in comparison the same type of motor and current connecting assembly is much noisier in operation to the extent of being at times most irritating to the human ear.

Do you mean the Class 614 ?

Some of these can be noisey(ish). It's usually the first pinion gear. Some FLM motor units had the first pinion gear made of some form of allow (instead of brass) which would wear quite quickly & become noisey. If you have a noisey one it is probably worth changing the pinion gear for a brass one & applying a touch of silicone grease to the gear teeth. If you cannot obtain the pinion gears locally send me a PM & take it from there.

·
Registered
436 Posts
If Flieschmann or Roco did an HST as well as being OTT pricewise they'd have TRACTION TYRES! Why is it continental models are touted as being the bees knees when they still do dinosaur stuff like that? Or do we have a double standard for UK and Continental manufacturers?

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (ozwarrior @ 27 Dec 2006, 09:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If Flieschmann or Roco did an HST as well as being OTT pricewise they'd have TRACTION TYRES! Why is it continental models are touted as being the bees knees when they still do dinosaur stuff like that? Or do we have a double standard for UK and Continental manufacturers?
Why is having traction tyres dinosaur stuff? Maybe thats why Continental locos can pull several coaches whereas Hornby locos struggle with anything more than three. Remember the reason they are dearer is because they are better quality and have more features. Budget locos have several corners cut to make them budget. Some people would regard poor running quality as being dinosaur stuff.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts