Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (DriverSam @ 22 Nov 2006, 13:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Imagine if Fleischmann or Roco had a go in 00 gauge, now that would be a top model!!

Fleischmann produced the Warship in 2 versions & 3 Bullied coaches in the late 70's - abeit in HO. They were excellent models, but did not sell well, although they were to a correct gauge/scale ratio.

The UK market still preferes narrow gauge ! (LOL).

Personally, IMHO, even if on the very, very slim chance FLM, Roco or Trix produced UK outline in OO the prices would be too expensive for the average UK modeller.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Guest @ 24 Nov 2006, 00:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>In relation to the comment about a Fleischmann or Roco HST potentially being too expensive, you only have to go on eBay to see there are many modellers and collectors with plenty of money to spend. Look at the Limited Editions and obsolete items that go for a small fortune.

This is very true, but as far as the manufacurers are concerned this is a very, very small market - if these items were common, then they would not command the sort of prices that theydo !

Don't forget manufactures are in the business of making money. They know their market & with few exceptions get it right.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Guest @ 24 Dec 2006, 18:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Perhaps of interest to the forum members! Reference to Fleischmann "Warship" models - the electric motors fitted in the Warships are of the same type used in Fleischmann three car DMU (coloured red or green).
The motor fitted in the Warship and connecting gear to the bogy wheels, where such, that the Warship ran extremely quiet in operation - in comparison the same type of motor and current connecting assembly is much noisier in operation to the extent of being at times most irritating to the human ear.

Do you mean the Class 614 ?

Some of these can be noisey(ish). It's usually the first pinion gear. Some FLM motor units had the first pinion gear made of some form of allow (instead of brass) which would wear quite quickly & become noisey. If you have a noisey one it is probably worth changing the pinion gear for a brass one & applying a touch of silicone grease to the gear teeth. If you cannot obtain the pinion gears locally send me a PM & take it from there.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (ozwarrior @ 29 Dec 2006, 01:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My class 50 will haul 15 coaches without pulling a sweat. Cost half the price of stuff from near bankrupt Euro manufacturers and does so without traction tyres.

Do you not remember the hue and cry when the 50 came out with tt's in its first batch?
The North Americans can get by without them. Their haulage capacity is second to none.

Yep. I'll stick with the term dinosaurs.

Only 15 ! - most FLM/Roco/Trix locos around that size pull 20 +

If you want an 8-wheel diesel/OHE outline without traction tyres which will pull 15 coaches & retail for £35/45 then look nor further than the Piko/Roco Hobby/Playtime range.

Sure, the North Americans get by without them - just look at the size of the locos. Size = weight, so they have no need.

Don't forget that a certain "factory" in Margate has had a few financial issues in the past.

As for the China/home manufactureing political debate I'll leave that for you to ponder when your job has been moved to China.

I see we have no comment about the flangeless wheels on current production locos (I remember when most UK manufactured locos had flangless cetre drivers when all european ones had flanges !)

Just name one innovation or improvement where the UK has been ahead of the european mainland - if you can.

Other than that I echo Neils comments.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Adam. G. @ 2 Jan 2007, 00:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You guys need to swap e-mail addresses and contact each other off of these pages or start a new topic.
The subject started was about HST models and has since side-tracked and gone somewhere completely un-related.
It was originally interesting but now its just turned into boring idle banter.

You will find this "side tracking" often happens on MRF & most other forums - better get used to it before you bother to register.

Maybe then, this is not really the place for you - you could always start your own forum or Yahoo Group.

If you want to see "idle banter" try another well known model railway forum !

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Ron @ 3 Jan 2007, 18:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you are happy accepting manufacturers mistakes and taking a craft knife to your new model thats your choice. Just don't ask people who find this unacceptabe to question their modelling skills.
If you enjoy using knives so much maybe you should have been a knife thrower! (LOL)

If you take the time to read the posts correctly you will see that that is definatly not the inference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.