Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Guest @ 21 Dec 2006, 22:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Why should any one pay for a model only to cut bits of it off which shouldn't be there in the first place because of the manufactures poor research?
Ever heard of 'Should have got it right in the first place?!'

This once again comes doen to you pay your money and make your choice. It is not unusual for any modeller to buy a model and then modify it to their own standards. This is why you see eight coach trains, six of which have the same number. Moels have to be made to a price at which the public will buy, not everyone would be prepared to pay £40.00+ for a Mk3 even if it was absolutely perfect.

Regards

John

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 22 Dec 2006, 17:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I had one of these in my lawn until the cat got it

OK..........so I missed the 'd' out of models!! and anyway they are spelt moles...

Regards

John

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Gung ho diesels? British industry? Rover v BMW? Dinosaurs?...... Watson this is doubtless a three pipe problem......*

So, gung ho diesels, - people like modern UK diesels for a very good reason, for just about anybody under 50 there is no memory of main line steam - it vanished 40 years ago. This means that people tend to model their eras or later, it's what they saw as children. The same thing applies to the classic car industry, the car you want as a classic is what your parents had when you were a child, in my case Austin Cambridge, Hillman Minx etc. (note for people under 30 these were cars made by that strange thing called a British motor industry.)

British Industry - Yes it still exists, and in a lot of areas is among the world leaders, it's just they tend to be areas the average man in the street doesn't know or care about.

Rover v BMW? er I've got a Volvo - nuff said I think.

Dinosaurs - reptiles now extinct (for several million years). Can also be applied to a school of thought prevalent among certain UK modellers that British is best. Unfortunately it's not, and I say that as someone who proudly puts his nationality down as English (sorry Neil). The biggest problem is the blinkered opinion of that particular element of the hobby. Yes, the situation is much better than it was 25 years ago, in that we have very presentable models, that having been said I still remember Hornby proudly stating that they had produced a loco with fully flanged driving wheels!!

I think I'd better stop now before I tread on too many toes.

*attributed to Sherlock Holmes, who travelled Victorian Engalnd by train to solve worrying crimes.

Regards

John

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Graham Plowman @ 3 Jan 2007, 05:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As the author of the 'Ever heard of a craft knife' comment, now being criticised for making the comment, it really surprises me that we have so many 'modellers' who are not prepared to do any modelling these days and expect manufacturers to do it for them perfectly. I can't honestly think of a better de-skilling process!
Graham Plowman

Surely this is approaching Heresy!!?

But, Graham, in all seriousness I think you have hit the nail on the head. The average modern modeller expects everything on a plate, even pre-built buildings are now available to a standard that people would not have dreamt of five years ago. Nowadays you don't need glue or paint: JUST MONEY AND LITTLE OR NO IMAGINATION. I have little or no choice in my chosen scale/era but to modify and frequently repaint models, it doesn't spoil my pleasure, if anything it enhances my enjoyment and certainly means that when I finally finish and exhibit the layout the stock won't look exactly the same as everybody elses!

Perhaps it's an EU directive that we can't use anything sharp or sticky in case we accidentally harm ourselves.

Regards

John

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 3 Jan 2007, 17:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Does that go for my razor sharp wit then !

Razor sharp what??

Regards

John

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 10 Jan 2007, 14:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There is only so much that can be done with moulds that are 20 years old.
The buffer shanks that are part of the lima chassis moulding would need drilling out and a new insert putting in. there would need to be 2 inserts. a plug and a buffer shank.
For a mould that is 20 years old is it really worth the hassle?

You always knew this was a bit of a bodge. it was always going to be a bodge as many of the lima re-releases are. but they are better than nothing. we should be gratefull for that.

I am defending hornby!-this is starting to get scary!

Peter

I completely agree with you on this one Peter!!

Regards

John

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I don't know about pictures, but I have seen them on the Hornby roadshow - they certainly look extremely good.

Regards

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.