Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
All the manufacturers price their products for what they believe the market will bear, pricing has no definite relationship to manufacturing cost beyond 'returns a minimum target margin'. Hornby are currently able to go for all they dare on the HST because there is no direct competitor, for what remains a iconic and popular design; and because they own the 'Hornby' name, and a large proportion of UK customers for RTR OO really do want 'Hornby' on the box.
Yes, you are absolutely right. It fascinates me why people would want that but I agree it is true, I buy a lot of Hornby products but not because it is Hornby, just because they make what I want. If I want a decent diesel or DMU, Bachmann is probably my first choice.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I did exactly that with old 1980s HST125, added lights and DCC. Eventually I did upgrade to the latest HST as I got fed up with the noisy ringfield motor and more especially the lack of traction because of those traction tyres. Being at the back of the loco doesn't help either. So I bought the new one, a lot cheaper than you are quoting still a lot though, but then I bought it before the prices went up. Now the power car is great it drives both bogies, but the unpowered car although is a nice model seems somewhat overpriced for a basically a carriage without windows. On another site someone said it is Hornby's cash cow so they basically charge what they like. I can see why they wouldn't want any competition, but surely to stay in business you upgrade your product so you don't lose business, not because someone else might be thinking of making it. I mean even if you took a Bachmann diesel loco at £200 and one of their latest DCC fitted carriages at £80 which would probably be as difficult to build, the pair are still substantially cheaper.
Can you tell me what lighting you used ie I assume this is the head/taillight lamps. Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Can you tell me what lighting you used ie I assume this is the head/taillight lamps. Thanks
Yes certainly. I tried two ways, initially I used tower leds in drilled holes in the body side by side. Trouble with this arrangement is you get a load of wires going to the body, so if you ever split the body from the chassis you have a load of wires connected to the chassis, which for me made maintenance difficult. There is a very high probability one of the wires will fall off.
So I eventually went for these:-
Hornby HST LED Lighting Upgrade Kit, New Version, Updated Design. | eBay.
I just black tacked them to the chassis so that when you pull the body off the chassis the PCB stays with the chassis. Much neater design and easier to install.
Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Computer hardware Electrical wiring

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yes certainly. I tried two ways, initially I used tower leds in drilled holes in the body side by side. Trouble with this arrangement is you get a load of wires going to the body, so if you ever split the body from the chassis you have a load of wires connected to the chassis, which for me made maintenance difficult. There is a very high probability one of the wires will fall off.
So I eventually went for these:-
Hornby HST LED Lighting Upgrade Kit, New Version, Updated Design. | eBay.
I just black tacked them to the chassis so that when you pull the body off the chassis the PCB stays with the chassis. Much neater design and easier to install. View attachment 20433
Many thanks. I was only looking at those yesterday; they are indeed a neat solution though it's a pity the price isnt for a pair 😏 As I have several sets to fit with TTS and a Biffo Sound ESU, I may well do this for them. Did you select the warm or bright white? I also fitted tower LEDs on one of my ViTrains Class 47s and as you say, the knitting of wires was quite a challenge despite my best efforts. I also bought several sets of knuckle couplers from Wagon Hill Works as they are a fair price for 8 car sets. Cheers

·
Registered
36 Posts
Many thanks. I was only looking at those yesterday; they are indeed a neat solution though it's a pity the price isnt for a pair 😏 As I have several sets to fit with TTS and a Biffo Sound ESU, I may well do this for them. Did you select the warm or bright white? I also fitted tower LEDs on one of my ViTrains Class 47s and as you say, the knitting of wires was quite a challenge despite my best efforts. I also bought several sets of knuckle couplers from Wagon Hill Works as they are a fair price for 8 car sets. Cheers
I think I went for bright white. They are expensive but if you compare them with the other kits on the market they are very cheap. The thing I liked about these was I only wanted the PCB that handled the lights, as it is much easier to get the spacing absolutely correct. I bought another makers kit for one of my other diesels and I was not impressed. I also fitted these to my class 90.

·
In depth idiot
7,926 Posts
...It fascinates me why people would want that but I agree it is true, I buy a lot of Hornby products but not because it is Hornby, just because they make what I want...
I simply don't care about the name on the box, all the product is coming out of the same Chinese manufacturing system. (If the Hornbyistas were to look at the codes on the product boxes, they would quickly realise what a large range of different shops Hornby are buying from.) So it can say 'Frogspawn Industries' on the box and I will buy it if it is good enough.

Currently waiting to see how the RTR OO Robinson A5 tank loco announced by 'Sonic' turns out. Based on videos of the samples it looks and runs well, so I am interested as it is a loco class that put in occasional appearances in my area of modelling interest.

On the positive side for Hornby, it is now being managed by someone who knows the business from the ground up, which is 'better news' than has been the case for many years. More steam models to the standard of their B12/3, and coaches that match or exceed what the QoS Pullman cars demonstrate, and they can have my money.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
. I also fitted these to my class 90.
Thanks and a timely comment as I just bought the Hornby Class 90 Malcolm Rail (apologies for going OT) and wondered if they had lights as standard. Project driven by the feature in latest Hornby Collector magazine upgrading the front end with Shapeways DB valance unit, though its not cheap.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts