Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I'd like to ofer a left field suggestion....with all that space available..the temptation is to spend a lot and go lavish......all of which can end up taking far too long to get anywhere near completed.

However, if cost really isn't an issue, why not, instead, look at the much 'larger' gauges and scales?

Bigger than O scale, we have Gauge 1, which is quite well represented in the trade...plus gauges 2 and 3?

Thus with such gauges, a more modest layout which is more 'achievable' might ensue, which also..fills the space, giving one a sense of 'better value??'

Folowing on from the above, we have the larger scale, narrow gauge prototypes?

what about a 16mm scale layout?

Like ''Lynton''??

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
QUOTE In O if you are going to build all your locos and rolling stock and then scratch build buildings as there are few kits available building a large layout could take forever....or seem like it.

O gauge is no longer a predominantly scratchbuilder's dmain in my view...that mantle is well and truly on the shoulders of S gauge modellers.

For those not shy of spending there is much rtr to be had in O gauge.........fro smaller firms like Skytrex, for example...the BAchmann's O gauge rtr locos in brass...not forgetting Heljans recent offerings?
track is very nicely handled by Peco [better than OO??]..and .even for gauge 1....and rtr locos are available in THAT gauge too....

for structures there are kits out there.......as an example, check out Kittle Hobby's ads?

with the larger scales, space is filled with a more modest and achievable model......plus, I feel O gaue ,o r gauge 1 stock will hold its value much better in these harsh imes..better than OO plastic stuff, anyways.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
for coaches, what about eBay and Lima O gauge coaches?

However.....again, if money is little object, specific coaches can be professionally built and painted...JLTRT [Pete Waterman's company] for example, can likley help, since they produce many etched stock kits.......??

If, as I suggested, using the area to model a larger scale, thus a more modest 'design'..ie, achievable.....then stock numbers, especially coaches, need only be of a limited size........fill the area with 4mm models, and the sheer volume of stock might be overwhelming?

Of course, one up-side of this thread is the possibility of 'involving' groups of fellow enthusiasts to assist in construction?

''project management'' rather than individual modelling?

If considering even larger scales, GRS are worth taking a look at?

After all, with such a space available, we could enter the realms of indoor live steam?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.