Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm a newbie and have inherited a load of track etc. I only have room for an 8x4 board slotted into an aclove in the bedroom. I also have a double and single level crossing and a girder bridge which I'd like incorporated. I looked through hornby plans 2-11 with little appeal and eleven spent more pages promoting dcc than a good plan selection unless you had loads of space, not impressed ith hvr2 put in track plan from book wouldn't work. All my gear is hornby looking to operate passenger and freight and use dcc. Any suggestions would be a great help.

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Hello. Good luck with the project.

My main suggestion is not to have a single 8 by 4 ft board for a number of reasons. Firstly, reaching the far side to deal with a derailment (and there will be some!) won't be at all easy.

A more important reason is to do with realism. I would cut a section out of the middle about 4ft by 18 in minimum and possible 2 ft. This will give you an operating area in which to sit or stand. If you set the board fairly high so that you can easily duck under then you won't need a removable part to get in.

When you are inside trains go round behind you and this appears far more realistic than circling in front of you. Also, viewed from the inside it means that coaches and wagons appear closer together on curves. Viewed from the outside the gaps that they make going round small radius curves looks far worse.

If you can make the ends of your operating space curved it will look better and feel better to lean on. It also means you can make it a little longer without losing track space.

The other thing that I would suggest is not to cram in as much track as the space will hold. Leave some room for scenery and things on the other side of the railway fence.

Once again, hope it goes all right. Robert.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Robert Stokes @ 31 May 2008, 19:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello. Good luck with the project.

My main suggestion is not to have a single 8 by 4 ft board for a number of reasons. Firstly, reaching the far side to deal with a derailment (and there will be some!) won't be at all easy.

A more important reason is to do with realism. I would cut a section out of the middle about 4ft by 18 in minimum and possible 2 ft. This will give you an operating area in which to sit or stand. If you set the board fairly high so that you can easily duck under then you won't need a removable part to get in.

When you are inside trains go round behind you and this appears far more realistic than circling in front of you. Also, viewed from the inside it means that coaches and wagons appear closer together on curves. Viewed from the outside the gaps that they make going round small radius curves looks far worse.

If you can make the ends of your operating space curved it will look better and feel better to lean on. It also means you can make it a little longer without losing track space.

The other thing that I would suggest is not to cram in as much track as the space will hold. Leave some room for scenery and things on the other side of the railway fence.

Once again, hope it goes all right. Robert.
Unfortunately it is raised above fitted drawer units which cant be moved due to lack of space so cant cut control center in middle. I can reach farside reasonably well with aid of stool, so I'm limited to it being accessable from longside.

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
My idea about an operating well may still be possible. Those fitted draw units are most probablyagainst the back wall. they are unlikely to be even 24 inches deep and probably less. This means that you could have an operating well in front of them and still have room for 6" on the near side for a continuous run loop. It would also make it easier to get into the drawers.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
for inspiration, why not buy a copy of C.J.Freezer's ''60 plans for small railways?''

whilst largely aimed at those willing to use 'flex-track', rather than 'set track'..[setrack]....it is the IDEA one is looking for.

[I once did a fair representation of the Moffat branch...using Tri-ang TT set track....even attempted a Caley 0-4-4 tank....the idea was inspired by an article in, I think, Railway Modeller.....back in the 1960's.]

Interestingly, CJ Freezer has been notably advising, even in a 'small' space, the use of 'double track' rather than single, for a ''main line''...as it is easier to operate.

Utilising Hornby stuff is a good way of starting things off....however, be aware, you will be unable to create a 'realistic' scene.......not a critiscm, of Hornby or the OP...just an acknowledgement of the limitations of set track, and the compromises that go with the territory??

......however, you WILL be able to replicate the 'operations' of the 'real thing', especially if you follow a good plan, which follows prototype practice [as was, I add]...which is what model railways should be about?

[anyone who could only 'afford' Playcraft models in the 1960's will know what I mean..]

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (alastairq @ 31 May 2008, 19:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>for inspiration, why not buy a copy of C.J.Freezer's ''60 plans for small railways?''

whilst largely aimed at those willing to use 'flex-track', rather than 'set track'..[setrack]....it is the IDEA one is looking for.

[I once did a fair representation of the Moffat branch...using Tri-ang TT set track....even attempted a Caley 0-4-4 tank....the idea was inspired by an article in, I think, Railway Modeller.....back in the 1960's.]

Interestingly, CJ Freezer has been notably advising, even in a 'small' space, the use of 'double track' rather than single, for a ''main line''...as it is easier to operate.

Utilising Hornby stuff is a good way of starting things off....however, be aware, you will be unable to create a 'realistic' scene.......not a critiscm, of Hornby or the OP...just an acknowledgement of the limitations of set track, and the compromises that go with the territory??

......however, you WILL be able to replicate the 'operations' of the 'real thing', especially if you follow a good plan, which follows prototype practice [as was, I add]...which is what model railways should be about?

[anyone who could only 'afford' Playcraft models in the 1960's will know what I mean..]

Hi thanks for advice so far. Have ordered a copy of the 60 plans book should arrive early this week. another poser which controller would you recommend, I have a hornby select albiet they seem rubbish realayoutding these forums, I'm limited with funds being retired but thinking of replacing with either Elite, Dynamis or Roco Multimaus. I would still like to see some layout ideas as well.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hi
An other possibility is a(I believe) in the Hornby track plans 11, a 7ft by 4ft 6 but part of which could be removed.
Regards,
Ben

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (jingling-geordie @ 1 Jun 2008, 11:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi thanks for advice so far. Have ordered a copy of the 60 plans book should arrive early this week. another poser which controller would you recommend, I have a hornby select albiet they seem rubbish realayoutding these forums, I'm limited with funds being retired but thinking of replacing with either Elite, Dynamis or Roco Multimaus. I would still like to see some layout ideas as well.
I got 60 plans today, good book but you need binoculars to read it plan drwaings to small for the spec wearing people, they should print it at least a4 size I wouldn't mind paying extra so I could read and view it properly.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
You could always take the book round to your nearest photocopy shop and have the plans blown up to A4 or even A3 size. Alternatively have them scanned onto a CD and then you can enlarge them on your PC to your hearts content (subject always to resolution constraints).

Cheers and good luck with the project.

Expat.

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
I have the new Peco Set track plans book,

Ok it doesn't have massive amounts of layouts, but the way they are drawn up with artists sketches of the finished layout with scenery really does help to visualize everything.

As for controllers, as you have the Select, and money is tight, I would go for the Elite, it will be more than enough for an 8x4 layout.
The other advantage is that you can plug the Select into it to give you a Walkabout controller, so your not wasting it.

When planning my layout I used the old Peco set track book and the new one along with the Hornby plans book 11 and some of the N-gauge layout plans book.

I then just mixed and matched bits from all of them until I got something that looked right that I was happy with.

I also put the track down connected the controller up and ran the locos round for a fair few weeks before doing ANY scenic work, this allows you to easily change things if your not 100% happy....I'm sure you will want to change things all of us do!

Cheers

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (wiggy25 @ 3 Jun 2008, 21:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have the new Peco Set track plans book,

Ok it doesn't have massive amounts of layouts, but the way they are drawn up with artists sketches of the finished layout with scenery really does help to visualize everything.

As for controllers, as you have the Select, and money is tight, I would go for the Elite, it will be more than enough for an 8x4 layout.
The other advantage is that you can plug the Select into it to give you a Walkabout controller, so your not wasting it.

When planning my layout I used the old Peco set track book and the new one along with the Hornby plans book 11 and some of the N-gauge layout plans book.

I then just mixed and matched bits from all of them until I got something that looked right that I was happy with.

I also put the track down connected the controller up and ran the locos round for a fair few weeks before doing ANY scenic work, this allows you to easily change things if your not 100% happy....I'm sure you will want to change things all of us do!

Cheers
Well I've eventually got myself a plan for the track layout it will be an up and over and inverted figure 8 type giving me a dual platform station and a goods yards/mpd, just a shame I couldn't stretch width to 5/6 ft so as to use 2nd/3rd radius. I've fixed track down on guagemster ready ballasted tracklay. Next job is trying to workout the scenery, and obtain some freight stock. Will upload pictures when I can.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts