Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, my name is Dave I am an exPat Englishman that left England at the age of 13, memories of my homeland are mostly of wagging school to sit beside the railway line with my Ian Allen Train Ref, notebook and pencil jotting down train numbers, something that never left my mind, the thrill of watching a Coronation Class loco pounding through Tamworth at 90+mph was a sight to behold.
I am just building a new OO British type layout that will be modelled on the area where I grew up which is Kings Norton in Birmingham, I am laying track at the moment and will be ready to wire the points in a couple of days, the layout is 10ft x 5ft with an operating section in the middle, it is being built over the top of a setup that I just dismantled.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Hi Dave & welcome to MRF.

We seem to have quite a few modellers "Downunder" & quite a few "Dave's" as well.

Don't forget to give us updates on progress.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hello Dave, welcome to the forum.
So you know "Tamorth" "eh" ?
Good forum this mate, they are a good "bunch".
They must be they are putting up with me LOL.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Yes, Dave, welcome to MRF.

What part of Oz do you live in?

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (SRman @ 6 May 2008, 08:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looks like the Aussies are taking over the forums!!!

Nah - it's us Daves that are taking over - so welcome to the forum Dave.

Enjoy your visits.

Regards

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 7 May 2008, 02:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nah - it's us Daves that are taking over - so welcome to the forum Dave.

Enjoy your visits.

Regards

I used to work in an office (in Brisbane) with five Daves. It was always great fun to call out "Hey, Dave!" and watch the mass reaction.

·
Registered
894 Posts
HI dave and welcome from someone who isn't called Dave, although you can call me Dave if it saves us from confusion!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (SRman @ 7 May 2008, 08:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I used to work in an office (in Brisbane) with five Daves.

I know the feeling - I used to work in an office with eight other people - five of us were called Dave. Total confusion usually ensued!

QUOTE (hairyhandedfool @ 7 May 2008, 09:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>HI dave and welcome from someone who isn't called Dave, although you can call me Dave if it saves us from confusion!

Now I'm confused - yer names not Bruce then?

QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 7 May 2008, 11:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>For some (unknown) reason I had the nickname "Dangerous Dave" some time ago - does that count (BRITHO is prohibited to answer).

I announce you an honourary Dave...............

Regards

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Golly so many Daves, funny I dont know of many Aussie Daves myself but anyway thanks for the warm welcome, this Dave by the way lives in Rosebud Victoria, not a model railway expert by any stretch of the imagination and will be looking for help, thank you.

Dave.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 7 May 2008, 13:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I know the feeling - I used to work in an office with eight other people - five of us were called Dave. Total confusion usually ensued!
I thought that happed wherever you worked !

·
Registered
894 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 7 May 2008, 13:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>....Now I'm confused - yer names not Bruce then?....

Well, no, but if it helps you can also call me Bruce.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (hairyhandedfool @ 8 May 2008, 08:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well, no, but if it helps you can also call me Bruce.

Perhaps I should have mentioned it's from a Monty Python sketch about Australians and philosophers.

Regards

·
Registered
894 Posts
Yes I know, but its not like we're expecting the spanish inquisition!.........

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi Dave and welcome, somewhat belatedly, to the MRF. (I've been away in China for the last couple of weeks).

You will have already gathered that there are members from all over the world on this forum which can be very useful at times because no matter where you are yourself in the world, or what time of the day it happens to be there, you can pretty much guarantee that someone will be logged in and be able to answer your queries, literaly within minutes sometimes.

I have made some good friends here and picked up an awful lot of knowledge in the short time since I joined and I'm sure you will enjoy the cameraderie and banter which goes on here.

Enjoy your modelling.

Expat.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (Expat @ 9 May 2008, 14:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Dave and welcome, somewhat belatedly, to the MRF. (I've been away in China for the last couple of weeks).

You will have already gathered that there are members from all over the world on this forum which can be very useful at times because no matter where you are yourself in the world, or what time of the day it happens to be there, you can pretty much guarantee that someone will be logged in and be able to answer your queries, literaly within minutes sometimes.

I have made some good friends here and picked up an awful lot of knowledge in the short time since I joined and I'm sure you will enjoy the cameraderie and banter which goes on here.

Enjoy your modelling.

Expat.

Hi There Expat and thank you for the welcome, one of the main reasons I joined this forum is because I have much to learn, I have only been in model railways for just over two years there is always something to be learned, thank you.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I know I keep plugging the British Railway Modellers of Australia, so I hope the other forum members here will forgive me but: are you a member of th BRMA, Dave? There are a few members down you way in the Mornington Peninsula, and the next meeting on Saturday 17th is in Flinders. If you want to know more, PM me or Neil S Wood (he's also a BRMA member) and we can fill you in with contact numbers.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (SRman @ 12 May 2008, 18:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I know I keep plugging the British Railway Modellers of Australia, so I hope the other forum members here will forgive me but: are you a member of th BRMA, Dave? There are a few members down you way in the Mornington Peninsula, and the next meeting on Saturday 17th is in Flinders. If you want to know more, PM me or Neil S Wood (he's also a BRMA member) and we can fill you in with contact numbers.
I would certainly recommend it. It's an opportunity to meet other modellers and see their layouts, also to talk trains.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts