Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've just joined this group, so I thought I would introduce myself.

I model in P4 and recently converted my garage into a 20-foot square railway room with insulation, underfloor heating, dehumidifier and daylight strips for lighting. I have just started to build a model of Leyburn station on the Northallerton - Hawes branch of the NER. The model will be as accurate as my limited skill can make it (e.g. no compression) and will represent the station as it was in October 1910. I chose this date because 1910 was one of the busiest years in the station's history and October was the busiest month of the year due to the sheep and cattle sales at the local auction mart. When the model is built, I intend to run it to the working timetable operating at that date and to include the passenger excursions, livestock trains and other specials listed in the Weekly Operating Notices. Needless to say, the project will take several years (probably at least ten) to complete.

I am a historian by profession, which probably explains why I want the model I am building to be as accurate historically as I can make it. I have been researching the history of the Hawes branch for over twenty years and have built up an extensive collection of photographs, plans and documents relating to the branch. I am also writing a new history of the branch, which I hope to finish by the end of next year.

If anyone else out there is modelling or intending to model any of the stations on the Hawes branch, I would be interested to hear from them and would be happy to help with prototype information.

Best wishes,

Bob Ellis

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Hi Bob & welcome to MRF,

Although my modelling is a different subject (currently SNCB) I look forward to seeing your model progress, so please keep us posted (especially with pictures) - enjoy the hobby & the forum.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Hi Bob. The Wensleydale line was gorgeous and should never have been closed - more power to those trying to re-open it!

Welcome aboard, no doubt you will get your brains picked by other members.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Welcome - we try and holiday in Yorkshire at least once a year if we can and are well accquinted with the Wensleydale Railway and Leyburn. Sounds an excellent choice for a model, my best wishes for your efforts.

Have you ever visited 'Buffers' at Back 'o the Hill farm at Storithes, over in Wharfdale? Take the minor road down the East side of Wharfdale from Kettlewell and you will eventually reach it. Trades in Hornby and Bachmann, and upstairs has a number of model railway layouts to view. And the food in the cafe downstairs is good as well! It's not open on Mondays unless it's a Bank Holiday. Very popular lunchtimes on Sundays and is probably best avoided then.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (60134 @ 5 Oct 2008, 09:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Bob. The Wensleydale line was gorgeous and should never have been closed - more power to those trying to re-open it!

Welcome aboard, no doubt you will get your brains picked by other members.

I am one of the volunteers who help to keep the Wensleydale Railway running. I work in the ticket office and shop at leyburn station a couple of days a month. If anyone from RMWeb visits the station, please make yourselves known if i am on duty that day (you will recognize me because we all wear name badges).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (John Webb @ 5 Oct 2008, 12:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Welcome - we try and holiday in Yorkshire at least once a year if we can and are well accquinted with the Wensleydale Railway and Leyburn. Sounds an excellent choice for a model, my best wishes for your efforts.

Have you ever visited 'Buffers' at Back 'o the Hill farm at Storithes, over in Wharfdale? Take the minor road down the East side of Wharfdale from Kettlewell and you will eventually reach it. Trades in Hornby and Bachmann, and upstairs has a number of model railway layouts to view. And the food in the cafe downstairs is good as well! It's not open on Mondays unless it's a Bank Holiday. Very popular lunchtimes on Sundays and is probably best avoided then.

Regards,
John Webb

Hi John,

Thanks for the information. I wasn't aware of 'Buffers', but I shall seek it out next time I travel 'ovver t'hill' into Wharfedale.

Best wishes,

Bob Ellis

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Bob Ellis @ 5 Oct 2008, 23:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am one of the volunteers who help to keep the Wensleydale Railway running. I work in the ticket office and shop at leyburn station a couple of days a month. If anyone from RMWeb visits the station, please make yourselves known if i am on duty that day (you will recognize me because we all wear name badges).

Hi Bob,
welcome to the forum. Good to have you onboard. Does that invitaion extend to MRF as well?
cheers

Neil

·
Registered
296 Posts
Welcome to the forums - I look forward to hearing from you about your developments!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi Bob and a warm welcome to MRF

It sounds like you are going to have your work cut out with your project, but I certainly look forward to hearing more as it progresses.

QUOTE (Bob Ellis @ 5 Oct 2008, 13:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If anyone from RMWeb visits the station, please make yourselves known if i am on duty that day (you will recognize me because we all wear name badges).

QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 5 Oct 2008, 22:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Good to have you onboard. Does that invitaion extend to MRF as well?

Funnily enough that thought crossed my mind as well.

Regards

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 5 Oct 2008, 23:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Bob,
welcome to the forum. Good to have you onboard. Does that invitaion extend to MRF as well?
cheers

Neil

Hi Neil,

Whoops, sorry! I forgot which forum I was on. One of those increasingly frequent senior moments I keep having!

Of course, I would be delighted to see members of MRF at Leyburn Station.

Best wishes,
Bob

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Bob Ellis @ 7 Oct 2008, 02:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Neil,

Whoops, sorry! I forgot which forum I was on. One of those increasingly frequent senior moments I keep having!

Of course, I would be delighted to see members of MRF at Leyburn Station.

Best wishes,
Bob
No problem Bob, I'm sure a few of our members will visit Leyburn Station.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (zmil @ 7 Oct 2008, 08:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello and Welcome Bob

G'day fro Downunder

Looking forward to seeing a few pictures of your work etc.

Regards Zmil

Hi Zmil,

It could be a while before there is anything to see that would be worth posting any photographs. I shall be building baseboards until the end of the year (15 baseboards each 4 feet by 2 feet in size, plus some irregular shapes to complete an oval layout 24 feet long with 4 foot radius curves). Track laying will commence in the spring using P4 Track Company turnout kits and Fast Track in the storage yard and hand-built track to NER dimensions in the scenic area. The hand-built track will use Code 75 steel rail and ply sleepers to which will be glues with butanone P4 Track Company functional chairs.

In the meantime, I am building a couple of etched brass kits, a NER Class P (LNER J24) 0-6-0 from a kit designed by my friend, Arthur Kimber, and a GCR 2-plank open wagon from a Bill Bedford kit. Both are being sprung and the engine will have split chassis/axles. The axles are made to my own design on my Sherline lathe. I might pos a couple of photos when they are nearing completion.

Best wishes,

Bob Ellis

1 - 14 of 14 Posts