Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick post to say "Hi" as a new member. I quick search through the loft has restarted the interest in my old trainset. Another expensive hobby to concentrate on i think!

Recently bought the new Hornby Flying Scotsman set so collecting the parts that before trying anything more complicated.

Also i have a loco for restoration so may be asking some questions about that. This site looks like a good resource.

Cheers!
Marc

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Welcome to MRF Marc,

We are a pretty friendly bunch here and any question asked will nearly always produce at least one correct answer - if not more.

The resto project fascinates me - what is it?

Regards

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 21 Jul 2008, 15:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Welcome to MRF Marc,

We are a pretty friendly bunch here and any question asked will nearly always produce at least one correct answer - if not more.

The resto project fascinates me - what is it?

Regards

Hi.

Thanks for the kind reply.

I was given a loco and some pullmans when I mentioned it to one of my mates (along with the expected "do you now think your a bit old..."), it seems to have been passed through a few generation of his family and has obviously been played with. Someone at some point removed the name plates and gave it a new paint job. Going on the number on the front of the boiler i think its a Hall Class - "Albert Hall", as included in this triang, hornby set:

GWR 4-6-0 Locomotive "Albert Hall" with 4 Pullman Cars.
From the R687 "Silver Jubilee Pullman Set"

http://www.shunters-junction.com/id25.html

It included Pullmans Mary, Ruth and Car No.79.

Ive already had a go at it with some humbrol paints i had about but it just doesn't suite the "different" green ive got. Im going to remove the paint from it tonight and start looking around for the correct colours. Mechanically it seems to be fine so i would rather do this one up then spend a wedge on a new one to start with.

As a beginner to the whole modelling thing would i just be best off to send it to someone to be "professionally" done? or is it something i can do with a paintbrush, toothpick and paint?

The replacement pullmans seem to be available enough on ebay too...

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi Marc
Welcome to the forum,
As to the repaint on the loco can you airbrush it as a better finish will result, for the paint i would reccomend contacting someone like 'fox ransfers' the of course could supply the new decals as well

http://www.fox-transfers.co.uk/index.cgi?c...er=629071316988

the staff there are very knowledgable.
If it needs a new name plate shawplan stock plates.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (upnick @ 1 Aug 2008, 12:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Marc
Welcome to the forum,
As to the repaint on the loco can you airbrush it as a better finish will result, for the paint i would reccomend contacting someone like 'fox ransfers' the of course could supply the new decals as well

http://www.fox-transfers.co.uk/index.cgi?c...er=629071316988

the staff there are very knowledgable if it needs a new name plate shawplan stock plates.

Hi!

Thanks for the advice. I intend to use fox when i need to the decals i was under the impression that they also did nameplates? As for the paint when i stripped off the paint (with oven cleaner - dont do it too many times though...) the actual plastic of the model is brunswick green. Is that to be expected on old tri-angs?

I painted in the black and gold sections and it looks ok. Just waiting for some loco lining transfers to arrive now....

Im hoping that when i spray on the laquer it will give is a "painted" affect....

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Everyone on here is very helpfull don't be afraid to ask any questions.

Regards

Kain

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (birkettm @ 1 Aug 2008, 12:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi!

Thanks for the advice. I intend to use fox when i need to the decals i was under the impression that they also did nameplates? As for the paint when i stripped off the paint (with oven cleaner - dont do it too many times though...) the actual plastic of the model is brunswick green. Is that to be expected on old tri-angs?

I painted in the black and gold sections and it looks ok. Just waiting for some loco lining transfers to arrive now....

Im hoping that when i spray on the laquer it will give is a "painted" affect....

Hi
The stripping of the body is fine but with an older body maybe oven cleaner is a little vicious
i prefer to use 'fairy powerspray' it is good enough to remove paint and is water based of course, on occasions multiple applications are needed, fox do have some nameplates mainly OO but i understand once they sell out they will not continue to be stocked.
A laquer will level paint and decals, a word of caution on laquers use acrylic NOT cellulose as all will look well when your done spraying but in the morning you may wake up to a plastic blob that resembles a loco body the cellulose laquar melting the body.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts