Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Joined recently, just wanted to say Hi

Returning to the hobby after a few years, older, wiser but just as skint!

Current layout is a OO Diesel maintenance yard of 'no fixed abode'

I would include a photo, if I could work out how to do it, seems all too complicated to my feeble brain

Quick q: Why does my Class 08 hate crossing points? It almost seems like the flanges on the wheels are 'deeper' than the plastic part of the point. Comments anyone?

Cheers for now

Mike
aka Motive Power Mike

[email protected]

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, Mike.

QUOTE I would include a photo, if I could work out how to do it, seems all too complicated to my feeble brain rolleyes.gif

Try this topic for instructions on how to post images. If you have problems, ask in there. Photos are always popular on MRF!

David

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hi from down under
And welcome to the forum

On your Q about problems with crossing the points , some one will be able to help
My thoughts are that indeed the flanges of older models are larger than the later ones
and as the loco's ride on the flange when crossing model points an oversize flange will lift the
loco of the rails , you could replace the wheels ,if that is possible.
Regards Zmil

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Brian, Zmil, Neil and dwb

Thanks for the welcome, I look forward to contributing to the forum in the future.

I am a member of the Sutton Coldfield Railway Society, here in West Midlands, and the first thursday each month they have a "Test Track & Chit Chat" evening so I will be diercting my Class 08 problem to them tonight.

I think you are right (Zmil), as the 08 I purchased from eBay is an older model and it even gave me problems with the DCC conversion as it drew too much current for the Hornby R8215 chip. Eventually after a thorough clean of the motor (years of collecting dust, carpet fragments, oil, grease etc from previous ownership) it drew a consistant 0.55amp and now runs superbly until it encounters points, then 'leaps' around like it will derail even on the straight ahead. The older wheel flanges may be giving a 'taller' aspect for these very modern 2008 style plastic based points

I'll let you all know what the resolution is.

In the meantime, thanks again everyone.

KRs (Kind Regards)

Mike
aka Motive Power Mike

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi Mike and welcome aboard.

QUOTE (Motive Power Mike @ 6 Aug 2008, 20:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Quick q: Why does my Class 08 hate crossing points? It almost seems like the flanges on the wheels are 'deeper' than the plastic part of the point. Comments anyone?

re: the above may I suggest the dreaded check the back to backs?

Regards

1 - 7 of 7 Posts