Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, a new kid on the block here but an old one!!
I am not sure whether I am in the correct section of this most interesting forum to kick off with an intro. but herewith anyway.

I am just starting to build an 00 layout, my 7th, and have opted for an ' end to end' roughly modelled on a small terminus at the town of Allendale in Northumberland ( the BR line and station closed years ago). The layout is being set up on a 2ft wide ply base secured to a 15ft length of builders ladder ( (wooden and old but straight and not twisted!! ) . It is located in the garage and when in use is seated across the top of an old kitchen unit with the top removed. Each end of the ladder rests on adjustable legs. When not in use the ladder is hoisted via ropes and pulleys to the undrerside of the flat roof and the kitchen unit goes to the side of the garage and out of the way. The ladder top layout is completely portable, being in one length, not particularly heavy and therefore can be quickly set up in the garden in nice warm settled weather.

The layout uses 9 points and , as I have done previously, I am constructing these myself from scratch, mainly from the point of view of cost ( about £1 or less per point) but also because it is greatly satisfying.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone of like mind.

Tiebar

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi Tiebar and welcome,

Technically we have an introductions section, but I'm sure you will be forgiven.

What time period are you modelling in?

Hope to hear more.

Regards

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (tiebar @ 18 Mar 2008, 01:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would be very interested to hear from anyone of like mind.

Tiebar

***Hello Tiebar

There are a few of us here that build our own track, scratchbuilt structures, modify loco's, build kits etc etc... most of us do it because we enjoy it more than any other reason.

MRF is a diverse place, so enjoy your membership and if you have questions ask away... or even better, tell us about or show us your layout progress as time goes by

regards

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for welcome and forgiveness.....I didn't see the ' Introduction' section. Honest!!

Britho asks what period my layout is ....well, nothing specific really. Some of my locos are 40 years old so I suppose it would be based on that, however I have to own up to to the fact that my real kick comes from building the layout, messing about with low voltage electrics including controllers which I also make and then getting it all to work.
One of my pet hates is the Hornby coupling and I have spent hours trying to make something workable out of wire. I don't know the name of it but whatever was wrong with Hornby's original coupling which was used in the 3 Rail days....some of the earlier ones were made from metal and they worked very well.

With Regards to all

Tiebar

1 - 6 of 6 Posts