Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all of you.
I found this site by trawling through the internet. I am at present building an end to end oo layout in my garden shed. The layout is set in a fictional area of the Scottish highlands during the period 1962 to 1968. I am considering DCC power and I am presently studying how it works not being very technically minded. (any help appreciated). I am trying to build the layout in between my work which happens to involve modelling on the 12 inches to the foot scale. I am a signalman.

Jim Hamilton

·
Vendor
29 Posts
With a name like Jim Hamilton, and modelling the highlands, can I hazard a guess you are of Scottish origin or located in Scotland, Jim ?

If so, make sure you insulate your shed very well, because model railways suffer from temperature changes, and will expand to buckle the track in summer, and contract and adversley affect your wiring connections in winter. A temperature 'window' of around 15deg C is ideal, but take note of when you lay the track. If you lay it in winter, leave expansion gaps at the fishplates. If you lay it in summer, make sure you use materials and adhesives that wont crystallise and fail at low temperatures.

Good luck with your layout.

PS. I was a driver !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Gary
Sorry I did not get back sooner. Although I live in Northern Ireland I have strong affilliations with Scotland. I did take the precautions of insulating my shed and the layout is progressing albeit slowly
Great site keep up the good work
Jim

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hello Jim.
There was quite a long discussion recently in a thread I started (I had the same DCC worries as you) Click on the DCC forum and read the thread "DCC - confusion of a beginner", currently on page 2. There is a lot of excellent advice about DCC there. Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Hi Jim, welcome to the forum. I'm from Scotland
(although currently resident in Ozz
) and am also modelling the West highland line. I have a bit of a harbour town roughly modelled on Mallaig in my layout. Over the years corners of the US and Germany have started closing in as I am interested in them too. I am building a new lay out soon so I am going to attempt the Glen Finnan viaduct. I aim to have 2/3rds of the layout west Highland and one third Germany.

I use DCC on my layout and I know nothing technically but it still works for me. You can have more locos running and all sort of effects. I would recommend it.

You'll find plenty of help on the forum if you ask.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts