Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member,I am 65 and have live in Covenrty all my life ( so far ) I have had an interest in model railways since I was 6 when I had my first layout. Unfortunatley through the years my layout has changed due to circumstaces changing, my present layout is 7' x 3' in the back bedroom but due to lack of space it it used as storage space. Now that I am retired I intend to convert my loft and move the layout up there and extend it considerably.
I have one small problem at the moment, I have the Hornby city of Leeds loco,in red, and I wish to change it to the city of Coventry, I have the new name plates and the cab side numbers ,the problem is how do I remove the old numbers to be able to put the new ones on without damaging the plastic ?.
hoping some one can help me please.
Thank you.
Jim

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hi Jim. Welcome.
I'm sure someone will help you with your query. If not post in the 00 section.
QUOTE (jhmorrison @ 17 Dec 2007, 20:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>and have live in Covenrty all my life ( so far )
So you weren't sent there?

Only joking.
Regards,
Les

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi Jim. Welcome to the forum.
I've renumbered a few locos in the past. I used to use brake fluid to remove the numbers.
Wet a connen bud with a drop of fluid and gently rub over the top of the lettering. Be very careful not to over load the bud or rub too hard, or you'll take the paint off too. Once the number is off, rinse off with soaky water. Leave to dry. Apply new numbers and name plates, then apply a coat sealer to stop the decals lifting.

Word of warning. Be very careful with the brake fluid. It'll strip the paint of anything it touches. So make sure you don't get it on your hands or workbench.

BTW, which decals are you using? Water-slide or rub-on type...?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts