Model Railway Forum banner

New models in OO announced from Q4 2019

53K views 251 replies 24 participants last post by  kristopher1805 
According to Rails email today and also posted on their website, Heljan are producing new tooling for a class 47. There are few details available yet apart from a wide range of liveries.

David

Although announced in late 2018, the Accurascale Deltic isn't in the shops yet and today the company have posted a news item explaining why the delivery date has now been pushed out to November this year. Decorated electrically complete samples are expected in May.

Full details can be read here: https://accurascale.co.uk/blogs/news/deltic...te-january-2020

Can't say I'm not disappointed but if they achieve their aim of producing a better model I am prepared to wait.

David

I took this photo in June 2012.

David

That's disappointing. I have one on pre-order.

David

Hornby Magazine did the Rails / Bachmann promo video which is now available on youtube. You can see the models running on Hornby's 'Topley Dale' layout towards the end.

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/TMf7gCRQN4M?rel=0

Can't say I'm a fan of 'blinged up' valve gear but I still think the V2 is one of the finest looking steam locos ever built. It's something about the proportions ...

Will I get one? Probably not one of these specials but something more work-a-day but I'm not in a rush.

David

I couldn't get the Hornby website to load either so I went to youtube and watched Hornby Magazine's rundown of what's coming out.

I think I was spoilt by last year. I was rather underwhelmed ...

David

QUOTE I am most interested to see how Hornby tackle the 9F, and how they might improve on the Bachmann model, which has some minor shortcomings. There's a lot of competition in announced big engines, and I am very happy with my Bachmann 9Fs as fully effective operational layout locos.

It will be interesting but as I have two Bachmanns and a Hornby Crosti, I'm not really in the market for another one. With the 50 year anniversary since introducing their first model - think I have one of those somewhere, I can see why they have done what they've done but if I was looking for something with 'heritage' why not a metal bodied 8F to channel the spirit of the old HD model? I would buy one of those ...

QUOTE Then again, everything I was interested in from Hornby's 2020 range has yet to arrive...
You know what - you're right there. I think all I have actually paid for so far is the Hornby Rocket train pack. I missed out on the third class wagon because mine was on pre-order with Rails which ended badly
. I haven't got the Rivarossi stuff I was after yet either.

Maybe I will treat myself to a Coronation set after all ...

David

QUOTE so is a new version about to hit the retail market?
We might have a better idea when the next edition of the The Engine Shed comes out from Hornby, maybe next week?
If there's no mention of it apart from being 'new', I would say that it's a long way off.

David

QUOTE The interest for me will be how well they execute.
Indeed. None of their powered models have yet made into the hands of modellers.

David

The Accurascale website is in the UK and there is a UK office so regardless of where some of the Accurascale staff are located, I would expect UK deliveries to arrive in the UK direct from China - ie no change from last year.

I looked up the customs duty for model trains and found it is 0%. Additional charges for customs clearance handling are unavoidable
. That just leaves getting the VAT sorted correctly so as to avoid paying UK VAT on top of EU VAT.

I haven't 'experimented' yet to find out what happens on orders from the EU. I am waiting for the dust to settle on the changes at Dover etc. first, like a few months...

David

I am really cheesed off.

I got an email from Hattons telling me that my pre-orders for the Gresley Hush-hush in fictional LNER apple green and BR in rebuilt form have been cancelled because they could not get enough stock to fulfil orders. I placed those orders when the models were announced with Hattons. I did not realise then that I would dodge the bullet of Rails ceasing to be a Hornby dealer but I did lose my orders for the Liverpool & Manchester railway open third waggons and I have none to date. So from all the models I took a fancy to in Hornby's catalogue of 2020 all I have actually ended up with is the Rocket train pack (ordinary version).

Shall I try to get them elsewhere? You know I really don't think I'll bother. Somehow the link between models being announced and being able to get your hands on them is well and truly broken for me.

I've still got some Rivarossi VSOE coaches on reservation from their Jan 2020 announcements. I wonder will they go the same way?

David

QUOTE The "excuse", that lack of "enough stock to fulfil orders" would suggest that they had set a figure for the production run and accepted orders for more than the planned run.
That's not an excuse, it's poor business practice. It's not difficult to see the orders coming in and scale up production accordingly. If the new kids on the block like Rapido and Accurascale can fit their production runs to meet demand then why not Hornby?
Or is this Hornby trying to get us back to buying from our local hobby shop?

David

QUOTE Capacity limitations in manufacturing are real. We have to at least allow the possibility that Hornby's offerings have generated demand greater than can be supplied from the booked 'slots' that Hornby have available from their various manufacturing contractors
In the case of the Rocket special edition, we all knew pretty much straight away that we were not going to be one of the 500. Fair enough I accept that but I don't accept that you can pre-order within days of the model's announcement but then 15 months later learn that your pre-orders have been unsuccessful.

It gives me no confidence that when Hornby announce a range of products - such as the Coronation Scot set - that I would be able to obtain a complete set. As 34C has already mentioned, the QoS Pullmans were a challenge. First we had five pre-war liveried models, then five post war which is unhelpful if you were after an eight car set from the same era.

It's going to take a long time for the bad taste this has left to wear off but I think I've said enough.

David

The V2 like the 812 and Improved Precedents is caught up in the global shipping chaos / lack of lorry drivers to shift containers from UK ports.
When the new class 47 was announced in late summer, they said it would be available before the end of the year. There's been a video review by Hornby magazine but no sign of the stock yet. Guess it's stuck in the same loop.

David

This launch video by Hornby Magazine with Paul Isles from Accurascale has almost convinced me ...

David

Reactions: Ruffnut Thorston
look pretty much ideal for pigeon lofts
That reminds of a journey to scout camp in the 70s. We were loading our kit into the luggage van at the back, at Crewe I think. and noticed we were sharing the space with baskets of racing pigeons.

David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.