Model Railway Forum banner
201 - 220 of 252 Posts
Signals are 'off' for the arrival of the SECR/SR/BR(SR) Wainwright D class 4-4-0. I expect to see any number of excuses to run this model within modelling scenarios far removed from their genuine scene of operation. A thing of beauty being a joy forever and all that...

QUOTE (34C @ 19 May 2021, 10:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Signals are 'off' for the arrival of the SECR/SR/BR(SR) Wainwright D class 4-4-0. I expect to see any number of excuses to run this model within modelling scenarios far removed from their genuine scene of operation. A thing of beauty being a joy forever and all that...

I just Google Images that, what a fine looking loco. Colourful, handsome and looks very effective, simply delightful. I am unlikely to purchase one, but will look forward, very much, to pictures from those who manage to find an excuse, a fitting place on their layouts.

Julian

Discussion starter · #203 ·
QUOTE (Julian2011 @ 19 May 2021, 20:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I just Google Images that, what a fine looking loco. Colourful, handsome and looks very effective, simply delightful...
The development series from Stirling's F via Wainwright D, E and L finishing with Maunsell's L1, might well claim to be the best such in the UK of the simple inside cylinder 4-4-0 type, all of them handsome, and capable on the road by report.

If this model 'flies' commercially, will Hornby announce a new version of 'their' old 4-4-0 model from this group, the Maunsell L1 which was the last of this development line? (Their similar size and very lovely D16/3 4-4-0 has a most effective mechanism with no need for traction tyres, so they have all the technique to do the job very well.)

A couple of SECR/SR general merchandise opens to be made by Rapido. (The 7 plank a very distinctive design, easy to pick out when it appears in photos.)

Good stuff, the second most common type of wagon in service with the Big Four and into the BR steam period, yet sadly neglected in RTR model form: one (well chosen as aa subject of a typical) late thirties 5 plank wagon from Airfix GMR tooling, now in Hornby's range, Bachmann with the LNER / BR High Steel, and the BR corrugated end shock absorbing type, Oxford Rail with the LNER six plank type.
https://southern-railway.com/2021/05/28/rap...k-wagons-in-00/

Discussion starter · #206 ·
Bachmann have the deal with GBRF to produce a model of the new class 69. It will be interesting to see how much they advance in the 'matching the detail' stakes to counter the recent flush of competitors such as Accurascale, Hattons, Kernow, Rapido, SLW (alphabetical order, not ranked, any omissions unintentional!)

Now we wait for the appeals for someone to make the new LH2 tanker sets complete with the cryoplant vehicle, that are one of the new locos' regular traffics.

Discussion starter · #207 ·
First examples of the Rails/Locomotion commissioned from Dapol SECR Wainwright D class 4-4-0 are in owner's hands. The model looks very fine indeed, thanks to looking like its prototype. Anyone here taken the plunge, and cares to report?

QUOTE (34C @ 16 Jun 2021, 12:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>First examples of the Rails/Locomotion commissioned from Dapol SECR Wainwright D class 4-4-0 are in owner's hands. The model looks very fine indeed, thanks to looking like its prototype. Anyone here taken the plunge, and cares to report?

Still waiting for the postie to deliver mine.....

A very pleasing feature is that the 'push fit' loco to tender coupling delivers correct spacing. Now that's an alternative that could be made standard by manufacturers offering steam models, if they don't care for the Bachmann customer adjustable screw locked slide approach, which is a whole lot less trouble than making a new drawbar - Hornby are you listening? (I mentioned this to their Rep when I encountered him in a shop two years ago. Positively I hope, they look and work beautifully, but here's a small thing that would ice the cake.)

On the SECR liveried D type from Rails there is a height mismatch between loco and tender, but one keen type has already shown that to be fully and simply fixable, the loco tender body just needs thin spacers interposed at the attachment points between tender body and underframe, and all is aligned. (In other words, parts probably accurately tooled in terms of external appearance, but something 'got lost' in the design or tooling of the contacting surfaces for assembly alignment. This afflicts several models I have purchased made by other than Dapol, to the extent that I am beginning to think that one possibility is that this is systematic, relating to a 'feature' in CAD/CAM. The upside is that in every case so far, very simple and invisible modification at the contacting surfaces produces a perfect fit.)

Discussion starter · #210 ·
And I see that the first LNER liveried release of the Oxford J27 is available. (Being lazy I am going to wait for a BR version as I want it with Ross pop valves.) First time we have had a small wheel 'mineral' 0-6-0 in RTR OO, will make an interesting contrast to those already produced; it is surprising what a difference the roughly 6 in smaller wheel diameter makes to the overall appearance. That and the capacious boiler...

So at last Hornby have decided to produce a Bugatti style streamline 2-8-2 at a likely £210 worth of beer tokens but hey I gotta have one of these so just got to hope the family cars behave themselves (big bill being most active of late)
The D class in SECR livery looks really well, after all very Great Central as Watkin had been the Chairman of both railways. so who knows that may be in contention.
Still waiting the Heljan 2-4-2t Baldwin for the OO9 layout said to be in Q£ which is any time from now, just didn't say which year. a North Eastern G5 is on the way as well in 9 varieties so good luck with that from TMC.
Meanwhile Accurascale have a GWR Manor coming along from £170 each for release in late 2021. Dapol doing the same model so who will win the race to get it out?
also not to be missed Oxford rail have a J27 out - now? anyway hope to have a BR late version whilst a J26 is in the works.
Dapol large prairie is also due so some interesting models coming along, some of no interest but some certainly so.

Discussion starter · #212 ·
So at last Hornby have decided to produce a Bugatti style streamline 2-8-2 at a likely £210 ...
My burning question is will they produce it in fictional BR lined Brunswick green, that I should have been able to see running, if they hadn't been vandalised. Hopefully it gets the full fat treatment, whatever paint jobs are applied...

...Meanwhile Accurascale have a GWR Manor coming along from £170 each for release in late 2021. Dapol doing the same model so who will win the race to get it out?...
If Accurascale get anywhere close to their target date, it's a walkover* both in quality and timeliness in my opinion. They showed EP assemblies of mouldings and castings at announcement which means they are well along the path: subject to these being accurate of course, which others truly familiar with Pighill's locos will have to assess.

*The applicable engineering mantra :
GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. Pick any two. Yup, it will cost more.

Discussion starter · #214 ·
Bach are waving an all new tooling 'betterer than anyone else' ' Brush type 4/class 47/Duff, with an 'arriving soon, like in time for Christmas' message. I read this as the fight back against the multiple new competitors pushing up standards.

Good pick commercially, all of long time span in service, many variants, copious liveries, and most numerous UK constructed diesel class,

Discussion starter · #215 ·
Sonic Models (new to me, no prior knowledge) bringing out an LNER A5, 4-6-2T suburban tank loco, an elegant Robinson design for the GCR and a good performer to the end of its BR service. Gresley had a slightly modified version built for the LNER, which were allocated to the North-Eastern section, and A5's also worked on the ex GNR line out of KX on occasions, all of which should broaden the appeal. Good subject choice altogether, as there simply hasn't ever been a RTR OO tank loco of GCR design, which will integrate well with the three tender loco models that are available.

Sonic Models (new to me, no prior knowledge) bringing out an LNER A5, 4-6-2T suburban tank loco, an elegant Robinson design for the GCR and a good performer to the end of its BR service. Gresley had a slightly modified version built for the LNER, which were allocated to the North-Eastern section, and A5's also worked on the ex GNR line out of KX on occasions, all of which should broaden the appeal. Good subject choice altogether, as there simply hasn't ever been a RTR OO tank loco of GCR design, which will integrate well with the three tender loco models that are available.

got to have a GCR version, very classy livery and turnout.

Discussion starter · #219 ·
Have the Oxford Rail J27 on the test track, just completed its DC test running. Every bit as sweet running as their N7, looks like the subject, and the few dimensions I have to hand check as correct on the model. This is the BR early crest version, and the few cosmetic details that catch the eye - bright metal and very clean paint - will be smothered in rust and grot in due course. Under a hundred too, that's the ticket.

201 - 220 of 252 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.