Model Railway Forum banner
221 - 240 of 252 Posts
Discussion starter · #222 ·
Further on the Oxford Rail J27 which has now completed its acceptance test running; good as it was on DC, yet better on DCC with a Zimo MX638 decoder. No surprises there, but it is still very welcome to get such fine performance so easily, compared to what effort was required in the days of kitbuilding as the only way to obtain good scale models.

One minor 'finding'. OR have obligingly provided a scale distance coupling option on the loco to tender drawbar, which I have used for the benefit to appearance. This restricts the loco to curve radii greater than 30", and ideally 36" or greater, if the fall plate is resting on the tender step. Hinge the fallplate up a little and it will tackle smaller radii, but how far it will go I cannot at present determine.

Discussion starter · #223 ·
I have now filed a little clearance in the rear of the fall plate to clear the stanchion of the tender brake handle, which proved to be all that was required to allow free movement between loco and tender down to a 30" radius with the 'scale distance' setting provided for on the drawbar in use.

I liked mark 2D stock, good ride, first class partitions and nicely raked seats, just too late for my railway early mark2 was in the maroon livery until 1966 onwards so maybe if I push it but really I need afew more Bachmann mark 1's as I am behind 34c in stock levels in that regard.

Discussion starter · #226 ·
Currently 'whining' their way across the North Sea, the Brown-Boveri gas turbine loco model made by Heljan, commissioned by Rails of Sheffield. Looks neatly done, capturing the very distinctive appearance; and since Heljan definitely know how to make a twin bogie drive that does all it should in the running and pulling department, it is likely to please most buyers.

So that's only the Metrovick left of UK gas turbine locos, without a RTR OO model. Anyone prepared to bet against that being announced within the next two or three years?

Discussion starter · #228 ·
I see reports from the first few owners of the Rails/Heljan 18000 gas turbine model. And one of them discovering it won't go round a 3rd Radius curve due to fouling of the bogies and/or wheels inside the bodywork (with the body off it sails round no trouble). This was entirely predictable, even though the model's body shape has been significantly distorted*, in order to win more width for the bogies to swing. Wait for the whining from those that don't realise that geometry is inflexible in such matters.

*The prototype had side frames set noticeably narrower than the body sides, and much of the top half of the 4 foot diameter driven wheels are inside those frames. The model appears to be entirely flush sided, and thus the frames are set further outboard than they should be, which will 'pass' in most folk's eyes. But it appears that this compromise may not be enough for set track curve capability.

...So that's only the Metrovick left of UK gas turbine locos, without a RTR OO model. Anyone prepared to bet against that being announced within the next two or three years?
Quelle surprise!, Rails are now dangling an OO model ...

Discussion starter · #232 ·
It's a fair bet now that my personal 'newly introduced loco of the year' award goes to Oxford's J27. It's the only one such that sprung the money from my wallet; and has done all it should on the layout, well pleased and especially at the price. (Looked at a Hornby A2/3, and decided that it wasn't going to make the cut, just not as pretty as the much superior Pepp A2's which I already have and which more than adequately represent the A2 group.)

Now a question, will the J27 (and closely related J26) be the last newly tooled locos released under the Oxford name, since it is now fully owned by Hornby?

There were quite a number of wagon announcements I should have liked to buy, Accurascale win the prize for actually getting their items on sale, and very good too (BR 21T and 24.5T minerals).

Discussion starter · #233 ·
Out now should be the 51xx Large Prairie by Dapol ...
It has gone on sale. No one here bought one? Looks much like a large Prairie based on photos. I have a feeling that combining the best aspects of the Dapol and Hornby models would produce something very close to accurately representing the prototype...

Two 'oldies' made by Bachmann advertised as about to appear, subject to the current general supply disruption: for Rails of Sheffield the CR/LMS/BR 812 0-6-0; for Locomotion and Rails of Sheffield the LNWR/LMS improved Precedent 2-4-0.

Both good loco subjects drawn from sorely neglected yet important pre-group companies.

I was very keen on the 812 0-6-0, but not so much having seen photos. Lot of clumsy detail rendering, well off the standards that Bachmann have previously achieved. I will be waiting until a cheap black LMS or BR model is available, that I can attack and modify to taste as required. (I nearly typed 'improve' but decided 'modify' would be more accurate.)

The Precedent looks as it should, delightful. Option to replace the traction tyred wheelset is a good move.

Bachmann have yet to get the V2 in the hands of retailers the 812 remains interesting but 34C are we getting picky? given we had nothing before, The Precedent looks well but these did not last, the A2/2 is good so mine looks well and given the length of the loco it performs well, meanwhile Bachmans effort seems to be focuses on the double Fairlie handsome though it is and yes I fancy one.

Discussion starter · #235 ·
... the 812 remains interesting but 34C are we getting picky? given we had nothing before...
I have always been picky in respect of 'just doesn't look right'; and that's the smell given off by this one; on the basis of the photographic evidence currently available.

Maybe the tender top flare will look better in reality? However the vertical handrail at the rear of the cab is clearly lumpen, going to have to be replaced in wire. Bachmann have demonstrated better on earlier models such as the ROD/O4, so this is not a case of 'best we could achieve'.

This isn't remotely an essential loco for my modelling interest, so if it doesn't impress that may be that, for all that I genuinely like 0-6-0s as model subjects and want a representative selection of the pre-group classes distributed around the UK. (On a different note, have yet to buy a Black 5 as the available model just doesn't quite cut it for me, and those did occasionally bowl up at KX, so one example is really required. (Come on 'someone' there's room for a really fine model, perhaps tooled for some of the variants?)

Well I have quite a lot of Black 5's but I need some X4026 motors yes an upgrade would be nice but the BR5 needs replacement having now just about replaced the V2, I find this frustrating and nice but odd that the Double Fairlie gets such attention when there were 4 of them? but what 172 BR5's and an old poor model so yes I like the Fairlei but it would be the most expensive model I have? purchased.

Discussion starter · #237 ·
...I find this frustrating and nice but odd that the Double Fairlie gets such attention when there were 4 of them?...
Novelty is all and only what that is about.
Distinctly different, colourful and attractive​
Likely to be the all time champion best performing RTR UK OO9 steam model ever​
Goes forwards and - er - forwards, so endless column inches can be filled with 'solutions' for DCC​
Loads of new layouts with names like Slate Summit, Gwynedd Beat, Caernarfon Fields, Little Beddgelert​
Practically writes itself: I am not a journalist and all the above was effortless.

Bachmann have yet to get the V2 in the hands of retailers the 812 remains interesting but 34C are we getting picky? given we had nothing before, The Precedent looks well but these did not last, the A2/2 is good so mine looks well and given the length of the loco it performs well, meanwhile Bachmans effort seems to be focuses on the double Fairlie
The V2 like the 812 and Improved Precedents is caught up in the global shipping chaos / lack of lorry drivers to shift containers from UK ports. Quite how they pulled the Fairlie through that unless they were all airfreighted is a mystery - the box of mine is date 15 Oct so they have clearly somehow been given some priority. There a fair number of versions of Fairlies that Bachmann can offer with different liveries (and detail differences) for Meriddin Emrys, Livingston Thrompson/ Talesin/Earl of Merioneth, David Lloyd George and the forthcoming James Spooner, albeit in the case of DLG the model is a scale foot short. There are hints that the 1970s modernistic Earl of Merioneth will be forthcoming. Whether the original James Spooner could be done is probably doubtful and Little Wonder was too different.

The V2 like the 812 and Improved Precedents is caught up in the global shipping chaos / lack of lorry drivers to shift containers from UK ports.
When the new class 47 was announced in late summer, they said it would be available before the end of the year. There's been a video review by Hornby magazine but no sign of the stock yet. Guess it's stuck in the same loop.

David

Would seem so as its listed as being in transit like the V2 in the November Collectors Club magazine. Re the Fairlie the Collectors Club DLG model is actually a scale 1ft 4 3/4inches short (5.58mm); DLG and Meriddin Emrys as running today being typically quoted as being at 13inch:ft in comparison to the NRMs Livingston Thompson.

221 - 240 of 252 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.