Model Railway Forum banner
161 - 180 of 252 Posts
QUOTE (butler-henderson @ 24 Feb 2021, 21:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Severe outbreak of rats coming...
Something has to be provided to keep the multiplicity of Terriers fed I suppose?

QUOTE (butler-henderson @ 24 Feb 2021, 21:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>... Sutton's Locomotive Workshop Class 25s ...
Thought this operation had gone rather quiet lately, in what is an increasingly crowded field with more competitors vying for the 'most accurate 4mm D&E model' spot, since SLW first announced their 24 over 5 years (!) ago.

SLWs 24 has been available for a while, think Heljan are likely to be the biggest victim of this given their variable quality and many will see it as a straight Bachmann or SLW choice; Bachmann gaining through retail sales while SLW only deal direct

Discussion starter · #164 ·
QUOTE (butler-henderson @ 25 Feb 2021, 15:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>... think Heljan are likely to be the biggest victim of this given their variable quality and many will see it as a straight Bachmann or SLW choice; Bachmann gaining through retail sales while SLW only deal direct.
I feel you put your finger on the biggest factor there: SLW are direct sales only. Far and away the majority of customers for model railway products only use a retailer or two; it's a very conservative market in this respect, and also with respect to brand choice. 'If it isn't on the retailer's shelf and/or made by Hornby it doesn't exist' is a perception of about half the customer base would be my guess. (Just look at Heljan going for more exposure for their product by improving distribution via Bachmann's 'EFE' marketing operation.)

And on the subject of Heljan, potential customer perceptions will vary of course. Those Heljan diesels that fit my interest, (from BoBo classes 15, 16, 23, 26/0, and a 128 for the mechanism only) are by happy chance all entries in the positive column of Heljan's reputational ledger. If the 'Heljan alternative' that can be seen on many retailer's shelves looks and performs as well as those specimens I have, then there will be very little to complain about.

Discussion starter · #166 ·
This must tell us that Hornby and their retailers are making hay with 'tiddlers'. Just four years now until the bicentenary of the Stockton and Darlington. Anyone prepared to bet against a 'Locomotion', Dandy car and chaldron wagons for that? (Open event, any manufacturer...)

Looks like another round of gazumping by Hornby; Rapido are to announce midday April 1 (i.e. post April fool time) a range of Titfield Thunderbolt models (and their non film liveries) for release in 2023. Meanwhile the Heljan 25/3s are now available.

Discussion starter · #168 · (Edited)
(butler-henderson @ 9 Mar 2021, 19:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>... Meanwhile the Heljan 25/3s are now available.
And as seen in dealer photographs and various owner's postings, looks pretty well in overall form, and should run sweetly given the track record of past Heljan BoBo mechanisms.

And SLW have class 25/2 and 25/3 class parts coming too, and Bachmann may eventually get their new versions out. Wow, there will be sufficient rats to infest every LMR OO layout's tracks with rats, end to end...

(butler-henderson @ 9 Mar 2021, 19:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>... Rapido are to announce midday April 1 (i.e. post April fool time) a range of Titfield Thunderbolt models (and their non film liveries) for release in 2023...
There's a new departure. Is there really that much interest in this very dated fillum? (It's very much a 'by the numbers' Ealing comedy formula, merrie olde England, stock character caricatures, recycled jokes, strained dialogue, impossible scenarios, more than a whiff of amdram about the performances...)

But the upside?

There might be an all wheel drive 14xx for the GWRistas, because Rapido have proven skill in geared drives that match tyre speed on different diameter wheels, as the efficacy of my NRM/Rapido Stirling single's pulling power demonstrates.

The once grounded old coach body might well be tricked out with the proper underframe to provide a passenger coach for the MR/Rapido J70.

The 'alternative Lion' will make an informative compact mechanism technique comparison: there's always more than one way of skinning a cat; and I remain impressed at the concealed drive within the very awkward layout of the Stirling single.

I was loitering by the magazine bit in Tesco on Monday (fully equipped with Jeff Arnold face mask,you understand) waiting for SWMBO;I picked up one of the model mags and it had a revue of GT3 in it.
The model looks excellent,when I got home,I found KR's site and it seems they do a nice Fell diesel too.
Anyone got either of these models yet-do they run as well as they look?
I won't get either as I don't ,er.. model anymore,I'm just curious.
34c-I assume you don't like sound fitted models-I once had a Broadway Limited Pennsylvania T1 4-4-4-4,a beautiful model(best part of 300 quid too!).This beaut was fitted with sound,so I plonked it on the road and turned it on,DC not DCC,as it was wired up for both.I was upstairs,SWMBO was down stairs watching Eastenders,eventually she shouted up with words to the effect of noise,turn it off whatever it is and other niceties.
It was loud I must admit and I did turn it off by the screw in the tender-here's the kicker-this is a big house,she was about 40 foot below with the TV on and she wears hearing aids.....
By the way -rats-I assume you are on about Sulzer type 2's-the best ones were those made by Beyer-Peacocks,in the D76xx series I think,the rest were made from baked bean cans.
Steve

QUOTE (34C @ 10 Mar 2021, 11:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There's a new departure. Is there really that much interest in this very dated fillum? (It's very much a 'by the numbers' Ealing comedy formula, merrie olde England, stock character caricatures, recycled jokes, strained dialogue, impossible scenarios, more than a whiff of amdram about the performances...)
Its a tie in with the films 70th anniversary
"Rapido Trains are excited to announce we have signed the world-wide exclusive rights to manufacture a range of models to celebrate the 70th Anniversary of the iconic film ‘The Titfield Thunderbolt’ in 2023. The range will feature a host of highly detailed new models of some of the favourite vehicles from the film alongside the historic liveries they wore outside the film. Full details of the range will be announced on Thursday 1st April at 12.00." https://rapidotrains.co.uk/the-titfield-thu...iversary-range/

Discussion starter · #171 · (Edited)
(steveiow @ 10 Mar 2021, 13:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...,I found KR's site and it seems they do a nice Fell diesel too. Anyone got either of these models yet - do they run as well as they look?...
The GT3 is their first production, and has only just arrived. General reports are good. (I don't and won't have one, doesn't fit my modelling interest.) Several more future products in their list beside the Fell and the most recent announcement is the one I would like: a model of 'Bellerophon' a small mid-Victorian 0-6-0T which I spent a happy day riding behind on the K&WVLR, with the crew working like blazes to maintain steam pressure on the uphill run.

(steveiow @ 10 Mar 2021, 13:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...34c-I assume you don't like sound fitted models...
A good model is fine - with the sound switched off. Removing and selling the decoder and speaker can be profitable too. I like all that. But the noises I hear are in the fingernails scraping on blackboard zone. For those that like their models with sound effects, that's fine, it's a private interest for their own enjoyment. (I also find no entertainment in 22 people interminably kicking balls, coarse fishing, and many other clearly popular activities.)

(steveiow @ 10 Mar 2021, 13:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...By the way - rats - I assume you are on about Sulzer type 2's-...
That would be the item.

One thing that has got me thinking about GT3-anybody here ever see or hear it working,what did it sound like?
I saw it once under the shearlegs at Leicester Central by pure chance,as we didn't live in UK in those days,and I thought it was green.
I never saw it move,only on film,and the BT film is silent.
I remember seeing Bellerophon stuffed down a road with other odds and ends in Howarth yard,not long after we came back-I'm not surprised she made heavy weather going up to Oxenhope-steep bit of road that,3-4 coaches max,I'd think.
The Titfield Thunderbolt-was'ent one of the coaches ex Wisbech,is there a Toby to complete the set?
Steve

Discussion starter · #175 · (Edited)
Cannot help on GT3, never saw it. Think 1950s gas turbines - whine, scream - would be my input. (Heard plenty of those living near the approach flight path to de Havillands factory runway at Hatfield. Lessons halted for every overflight as the teacher became inaudible...) A very fine 5" scale model with working gas turbine has been built and demonstrated at model engineering shows, I believe this is the source of the sound recording for the KRM item.

Bellerophon, my recollection is that it started out on 3 mk1 57' suburban coaches, reduced to 2 halfway through the day.

(steveiow @ 10 Mar 2021, 20:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...The Titfield Thunderbolt - wasn't one of the coaches ex Wisbech, Is there a Toby to complete the set?
Aha, Model Rail / Rapido produced the J70 tram loco in OO a couple of years past. And 'snap'! I had that same thought on reading this announcement, a '2 for the price of 1' opportunity if they produce the W&U coach as part of the set.

(butler-henderson @ 10 Mar 2021, 17:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>They are let down by the large bodyside grill which should have bodywork trussing clearly visible...
I am not nearly knowledgeable enough on this class to know detail like that. Once the steam had gone, the only diesel that really counted was the EE5, all the others just blue lumps of little interest. No railway excitement until the class 91s appeared. And now I miss them...

QUOTE (34C @ 10 Mar 2021, 21:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am not nearly knowledgeable enough on this class to know detail like that.
Simple matter of comparing a photo of the model with one of the real thing - does it look right or not, after all most of time models on a layout are viewed at a 3ft distance so whether a particular part is located 1mm from where it should be may not be noticeable but shape issues and incorrect lumps and bumps are. Cannot make my mind up on the Rapido Model Rail 16xx - it has quite defined vertical features on the tank sides
http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/images/pr...B%20Pic%201.jpg
which sometimes appear in photos of the real thing but usually do not as exhibited by photos of the preserved loco
https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/1638-2/

Discussion starter · #177 · (Edited)
(butler-henderson @ 11 Mar 2021, 23:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Simple matter of comparing a photo of the model with one of the real thing - does it look right or not, after all most of time models on a layout are viewed at a 3ft distance so whether a particular part is located 1mm from where it should be may not be noticeable but shape issues and incorrect lumps and bumps are...
Right with you on the shape and character. It's got to have that above all else, I don't care about exquisite detail and refinements various if the model it is on just hasn't the appearance to convince. The most perfectly rendered nine pound note in the world is always a dud...

Rejected the Heljan Brush 4 and Hornby Brush 2 on these very grounds, didn't require a photo reference either!
Heljan's (2001 introduction) Brush 4 is too wide, and that really shows when the prototype was neatly styled and looked so much more compact than the bulky EE and Derby 4's and class 5 at KX. So I didn't buy it.
Hornby's Brush 2, the failure to properly recess the cab side windows robs it of the narrow top half of cab appearance, made it look rather BRCWish. Haven't bought these either! Put salvaged Hornby mazak rotted drives inside Airfix GMR bodies, which have the character in spades, and now run smoothly and quietly.

Then again, I can see Bach's 24 isn't quite right, but the prototype was an untidy design that looked like it had hit a wall, and the model has that to a 'T', so good enough. Also Bach's first version of the EE type 4, the whole mid section has all the detail displaced by a systematic positioning error; yet while the ruler says wrong, my take on the overall appearance is 'has the essential character', so it is good enough.

On other new introductions, I do not expect to buy the Accurascale Deltic. What's the idea of putting underscale wheels on it? Those wheeltops going inside the body work are a key part of the look of the beast: spoiled the ship for a happorth of tar right there. (If, if, Accurascale are doing an 'all correct' version for those wanting EM and P4, with which there will be no problem installing correct diameter wheels, then I will be interested in OO-ising one.

And back with the class 25, I saw so little of them in service, that an overall good shape would be enough for me if I needed one on the layout; which I don't because they were a rarity in the Hatfield area; I don't recall ever seeing one there while steam was still operating. (Anyone, feel free to pop up with a pic of one between Potters Bar and Knebworth no later than Autumn 1962.)

I see that the final decoration samples of the 'Locomotion/Rails of Sheffield commissioned from Dapol' SECR D class 4-4-0 have been shown, and they surely look well in representing what I rate as the most elegant 4-4-0 ever seen in the UK, and one of a very extended development series of successful 4-4-0 designs. (Surely Hornby will wade in some time with 'their' member of the family, the Maunsell L1, or was it too long before Simon Kohler's epoch to have registered as their property?)

Whatever, this beauteous item is expected to be ready to raid your wallet middle of this year... Mysteriously the models aren't being waved at us on Locomotion's site as yet, just the gorgeous original to herald what is coming soon. http://www.locomotionmodels.com/coming-soon.htm

The 1960 introduced BR (SR) liveried Tri-ang Railways L1 4-4-0 was last issued in 1972 under Hornby Railways in a version of Southern Railway green livery.

From 1973 to 1974, there was a version of the LMS Class 2P 4-4-0 released, this was made by altering the tooling for the L1, with a more Midland/LMS cab.

There are many who would like a newly tooled L1 4-4-0. Not to be confused with the LNER L1 Class locos.

Discussion starter · #180 ·
https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...=53585&st=0
This exercise in polishing up the old L1 4-4-0 model gives a good idea of what a current RTR model might look like. Should think that would sell, and especially from Hornby as they also have a proven 4-4-0 mechanism, with excellent traction thanks to a metal boiler. (I have the LNER D16/3, much the same size loco as the Maunsell L1, and it really performs with no traction tyres required, for what was in the past considered a difficult wheel arrangement.

161 - 180 of 252 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.