Model Railway Forum banner

New models in OO announced from Q4 2019

53K views 251 replies 24 participants last post by  kristopher1805 
#1 ·
'Tis a little arbitrary, but to prevent the first such round up becoming a bloated mess, how about another for everything announced from
the start of Q4 2019 until end Q3 2020? We have an entry!

Hattons, with a range of generic 4 and 6 wheel coaches, in all the liveries under the sun (almost). I can see these being both liked and
derided. Excellent for those who want RTR 'Victorian' coaches, no use for those who want specific models.

Interestingly, in their possible train formations publicity, two of the steam locos are not available RTR: the beautiful SECR D class, and
the well known LNWR Precedent 2-4-0. Do Hattons hint here at items that may emerge in OO; and possibly from sources other than
Hattons, given that they have ranged fairly widely among other manufacturer's ranges for the suggested traction?

#177 · (Edited)
(butler-henderson @ 11 Mar 2021, 23:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Simple matter of comparing a photo of the model with one of the real thing - does it look right or not, after all most of time models on a layout are viewed at a 3ft distance so whether a particular part is located 1mm from where it should be may not be noticeable but shape issues and incorrect lumps and bumps are...
Right with you on the shape and character. It's got to have that above all else, I don't care about exquisite detail and refinements various if the model it is on just hasn't the appearance to convince. The most perfectly rendered nine pound note in the world is always a dud...

Rejected the Heljan Brush 4 and Hornby Brush 2 on these very grounds, didn't require a photo reference either!
Heljan's (2001 introduction) Brush 4 is too wide, and that really shows when the prototype was neatly styled and looked so much more compact than the bulky EE and Derby 4's and class 5 at KX. So I didn't buy it.
Hornby's Brush 2, the failure to properly recess the cab side windows robs it of the narrow top half of cab appearance, made it look rather BRCWish. Haven't bought these either! Put salvaged Hornby mazak rotted drives inside Airfix GMR bodies, which have the character in spades, and now run smoothly and quietly.

Then again, I can see Bach's 24 isn't quite right, but the prototype was an untidy design that looked like it had hit a wall, and the model has that to a 'T', so good enough. Also Bach's first version of the EE type 4, the whole mid section has all the detail displaced by a systematic positioning error; yet while the ruler says wrong, my take on the overall appearance is 'has the essential character', so it is good enough.

On other new introductions, I do not expect to buy the Accurascale Deltic. What's the idea of putting underscale wheels on it? Those wheeltops going inside the body work are a key part of the look of the beast: spoiled the ship for a happorth of tar right there. (If, if, Accurascale are doing an 'all correct' version for those wanting EM and P4, with which there will be no problem installing correct diameter wheels, then I will be interested in OO-ising one.

And back with the class 25, I saw so little of them in service, that an overall good shape would be enough for me if I needed one on the layout; which I don't because they were a rarity in the Hatfield area; I don't recall ever seeing one there while steam was still operating. (Anyone, feel free to pop up with a pic of one between Potters Bar and Knebworth no later than Autumn 1962.)

#178 · (Edited by Moderator)
I see that the final decoration samples of the 'Locomotion/Rails of Sheffield commissioned from Dapol' SECR D class 4-4-0 have been shown, and they surely look well in representing what I rate as the most elegant 4-4-0 ever seen in the UK, and one of a very extended development series of successful 4-4-0 designs. (Surely Hornby will wade in some time with 'their' member of the family, the Maunsell L1, or was it too long before Simon Kohler's epoch to have registered as their property?)

Whatever, this beauteous item is expected to be ready to raid your wallet middle of this year... Mysteriously the models aren't being waved at us on Locomotion's site as yet, just the gorgeous original to herald what is coming soon. http://www.locomotionmodels.com/coming-soon.htm

#179 ·
The 1960 introduced BR (SR) liveried Tri-ang Railways L1 4-4-0 was last issued in 1972 under Hornby Railways in a version of Southern Railway green livery.

From 1973 to 1974, there was a version of the LMS Class 2P 4-4-0 released, this was made by altering the tooling for the L1, with a more Midland/LMS cab.

There are many who would like a newly tooled L1 4-4-0. Not to be confused with the LNER L1 Class locos.

#180 ·
https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...=53585&st=0
This exercise in polishing up the old L1 4-4-0 model gives a good idea of what a current RTR model might look like. Should think that would sell, and especially from Hornby as they also have a proven 4-4-0 mechanism, with excellent traction thanks to a metal boiler. (I have the LNER D16/3, much the same size loco as the Maunsell L1, and it really performs with no traction tyres required, for what was in the past considered a difficult wheel arrangement.

#185 ·
I am really cheesed off.

I got an email from Hattons telling me that my pre-orders for the Gresley Hush-hush in fictional LNER apple green and BR in rebuilt form have been cancelled because they could not get enough stock to fulfil orders. I placed those orders when the models were announced with Hattons. I did not realise then that I would dodge the bullet of Rails ceasing to be a Hornby dealer but I did lose my orders for the Liverpool & Manchester railway open third waggons and I have none to date. So from all the models I took a fancy to in Hornby's catalogue of 2020 all I have actually ended up with is the Rocket train pack (ordinary version).

Shall I try to get them elsewhere? You know I really don't think I'll bother. Somehow the link between models being announced and being able to get your hands on them is well and truly broken for me.

I've still got some Rivarossi VSOE coaches on reservation from their Jan 2020 announcements. I wonder will they go the same way?

David

#186 ·
QUOTE (dwb @ 10 Apr 2021, 19:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am really cheesed off.

I got an email from Hattons telling me that my pre-orders for the Gresley Hush-hush in fictional LNER apple green and BR in rebuilt form have been cancelled because they could not get enough stock to fulfil orders. I placed those orders when the models were announced with Hattons. I did not realise then that I would dodge the bullet of Rails ceasing to be a Hornby dealer but I did lose my orders for the Liverpool & Manchester railway open third waggons and I have none to date. So from all the models I took a fancy to in Hornby's catalogue of 2020 all I have actually ended up with is the Rocket train pack (ordinary version).

Shall I try to get them elsewhere? You know I really don't think I'll bother. Somehow the link between models being announced and being able to get your hands on them is well and truly broken for me.

I've still got some Rivarossi VSOE coaches on reservation from their Jan 2020 announcements. I wonder will they go the same way?

David

It has to be an experience faced by quite a number and is no less bothersome for that.
The "excuse", that lack of "enough stock to fulfil orders" would suggest that they had set a figure for the production run and accepted orders for more than the planned run. That is, also, a plan to guarantee that there will be disgruntled customers, who will express their opinions online. It is difficult to imagine that other disappointed customers will not react as you have and others will be less likely to want to put in bids for reservations.

Julian

#187 ·
QUOTE The "excuse", that lack of "enough stock to fulfil orders" would suggest that they had set a figure for the production run and accepted orders for more than the planned run.
That's not an excuse, it's poor business practice. It's not difficult to see the orders coming in and scale up production accordingly. If the new kids on the block like Rapido and Accurascale can fit their production runs to meet demand then why not Hornby?
Or is this Hornby trying to get us back to buying from our local hobby shop?

David

#188 ·
QUOTE (dwb @ 10 Apr 2021, 22:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's not an excuse, it's poor business practice. It's not difficult to see the orders coming in and scale up production accordingly. If the new kids on the block like Rapido and Accurascale can fit their production runs to meet demand then why not Hornby?
Or is this Hornby trying to get us back to buying from our local hobby shop?

David

Absolutely right David.

{My use of the term "excuse" was deeply sarcastic and the same for the disgraceful treatment of their customers.}

Julian

#189 ·
Sadly very typical is why I do not pre-order, in many cases this works the other way as sales do not reach projections and surplus stocks lead to discounting so some really great products like the K1 for instance get knocked down, As to Hattons since they fell out with Bachmann they will be doing everything possible to keep every Hornby customer happy if they can, just be aware that they will resell ones that have been returned, I have had new locos with the brakes rods already fitted, my crosti had wheels so dirty it would not run and so on so examine your purchase carefully but I am sure it is just not them, OK I get that the manufacturer wants some surety they have a winning seller on their hands but they experiment at our cost and frustration level.

However a BR W1 would be on my list along with some others, I'd still like a Bugatti streamlined P2 in late BR - way to go! they should have been given to Gorton which was wanting them in WW2 for the huge loads it was dealing with and with super heavy infrastructure and no level crossings would have been a good outcome. then the new V2, the 78xxx class, the new J39 (one day I'm sure) - a matter of funds more than a matter of desire.

So back to the old Roman way - Caveat Emptor!

#190 ·
QUOTE (Julian2011 @ 10 Apr 2021, 22:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The "excuse", that lack of "enough stock to fulfil orders" would suggest that they had set a figure for the production run and accepted orders for more than the planned run.
Julian

They always seem to have enough left to be able to sell direct from their own shop.

#191 · (Edited)
(dwb @ 10 Apr 2021, 23:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's not an excuse, it's poor business practice. It's not difficult to see the orders coming in and scale up production accordingly...
Capacity limitations in manufacturing are real. We have to at least allow the possibility that Hornby's offerings have generated demand greater than can be supplied from the booked 'slots' that Hornby have available from their various manufacturing contractors. Whether that is the underlying cause, is unlikely ever to be known to us.

#192 ·
QUOTE Capacity limitations in manufacturing are real. We have to at least allow the possibility that Hornby's offerings have generated demand greater than can be supplied from the booked 'slots' that Hornby have available from their various manufacturing contractors
In the case of the Rocket special edition, we all knew pretty much straight away that we were not going to be one of the 500. Fair enough I accept that but I don't accept that you can pre-order within days of the model's announcement but then 15 months later learn that your pre-orders have been unsuccessful.

It gives me no confidence that when Hornby announce a range of products - such as the Coronation Scot set - that I would be able to obtain a complete set. As 34C has already mentioned, the QoS Pullmans were a challenge. First we had five pre-war liveried models, then five post war which is unhelpful if you were after an eight car set from the same era.

It's going to take a long time for the bad taste this has left to wear off but I think I've said enough.

David

#193 ·
Its a constant theme with Hattons cancelling pre-orders; people do not seem to have problems with other suppliers and I would suggest it would be best to try Derails or Kernow if you really want to pre order as invariably their are stacks of Hornby stockists who will have stocks once a model is released; many smaller model shops for example sell through ebay

#195 ·
Also the LMS 4P Compound in the LMS red livery that some have been requesting over a fairly long term.

QUOTE (butler-henderson @ 5 May 2021, 18:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>More duplication as Bachmann today announce newly tooled Class 24s ...
Fairly inevitable given how few UK diesel traction classes there actually are, and still fewer that have the combination of all of significant numbers, widespread use in multiple liveries and decades in service?

A duplication that didn't happen: I was surprised that Bachmann blew all that investment cash on the Blue Pullman, when they could have used the same money to begin tooling up the HST, and then used the initial earnings to expand the tooling to enable exploiting its many formations and liveries over decades...

#196 ·
QUOTE (butler-henderson @ 5 May 2021, 18:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>More duplication as Bachmann today announce newly tooled Class 24s - D5036 BR Green with yellow end panels, D5094 BR Green, 24035 BR Blue, 97201 RTC Red/Blue priced at £179.95 (or an extra £100 DCC Sound fitted)
Or perhaps not? I gather that the only competing product which would be from SLW is possibly no longer available.

If Frogspawn Industries appeared out of nowhere with a first class model of a Gresley V2 available tomorrow, I wouldn't see that as duplication. Bachmann have failed for years to deliver the announced goods. Snooze, you lose.

Equally, had another manufacturer (top suspect, Heljan) brought out a competent model of the class 21 at any time between the 2010 Dapol announcement and 2018, I would have purchased it. First to market takes the prize, devil take the hindmost.

I feel there is something of a lack of competitive pressure in RTR OO, as indicated by the frequently leisurely progress on the path to bringing announced product to the retailer's shelves.

#198 ·
QUOTE (butler-henderson @ 8 May 2021, 13:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The V2 is currently due Aug-Oct depending on the actual version.
Perhaps in the same consignment as the CR 812 0-6-0 that Rails commissioned from Bachmann then, as that's 'September'? And also the first of the NER 0-6-0s from Oxford Rail?

I have made a decision on my slowly building pre-group 0-6-0 collection: the 'furriners' are going to rotate alternately in turn onto the workings that should be the sole preserve of the 'native' J6/J11/J15/J17 0-6-0 classes that were the local team. Too attractive to only get an occasional run out. Fingers crossed that the market for these holds up long enough that we get a round dozen or so in RTR.

#200 ·
QUOTE (butler-henderson @ 9 May 2021, 10:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...currently in a crate somewhere on the seas are a stack of diesels; 20/0 ....
Yes, I have been watching that item. What I am hoping is that some of the first version EE type 1s of the disc headcode all over green liveried persuasion may be 'displaced' by the new version and find their way onto the s/h market. Ideally at a low, low, price, but that may be expecting too much?

These appear to have been popular. I bought one for assessment, essentially because pleasing as Bachmann's Derby type 2's had been mechanically, the bodies were not that special. (The very nice drive though won the day, exterior modifications were made by a friend good at that sort of thing.)

But the 'Thousand Horse' was a cut above: the same sweet running drive combined with a bodyform that still pleases. So once I had sorted out its design flaw of the clumsily executed NEM coupler pocket mounting fouling on the main casting and decided on another they had 'disappeared', and I don't think they were ever repeated, and neither have good specimens shown up s/h in the years since ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.