Model Railway Forum banner

New models in OO announced from Q4 2019

53K views 251 replies 24 participants last post by  kristopher1805 
#1 ·
'Tis a little arbitrary, but to prevent the first such round up becoming a bloated mess, how about another for everything announced from
the start of Q4 2019 until end Q3 2020? We have an entry!

Hattons, with a range of generic 4 and 6 wheel coaches, in all the liveries under the sun (almost). I can see these being both liked and
derided. Excellent for those who want RTR 'Victorian' coaches, no use for those who want specific models.

Interestingly, in their possible train formations publicity, two of the steam locos are not available RTR: the beautiful SECR D class, and
the well known LNWR Precedent 2-4-0. Do Hattons hint here at items that may emerge in OO; and possibly from sources other than
Hattons, given that they have ranged fairly widely among other manufacturer's ranges for the suggested traction?

#232 ·
It's a fair bet now that my personal 'newly introduced loco of the year' award goes to Oxford's J27. It's the only one such that sprung the money from my wallet; and has done all it should on the layout, well pleased and especially at the price. (Looked at a Hornby A2/3, and decided that it wasn't going to make the cut, just not as pretty as the much superior Pepp A2's which I already have and which more than adequately represent the A2 group.)

Now a question, will the J27 (and closely related J26) be the last newly tooled locos released under the Oxford name, since it is now fully owned by Hornby?

There were quite a number of wagon announcements I should have liked to buy, Accurascale win the prize for actually getting their items on sale, and very good too (BR 21T and 24.5T minerals).

#234 ·
Bachmann have yet to get the V2 in the hands of retailers the 812 remains interesting but 34C are we getting picky? given we had nothing before, The Precedent looks well but these did not last, the A2/2 is good so mine looks well and given the length of the loco it performs well, meanwhile Bachmans effort seems to be focuses on the double Fairlie handsome though it is and yes I fancy one.

#235 ·
... the 812 remains interesting but 34C are we getting picky? given we had nothing before...
I have always been picky in respect of 'just doesn't look right'; and that's the smell given off by this one; on the basis of the photographic evidence currently available.

Maybe the tender top flare will look better in reality? However the vertical handrail at the rear of the cab is clearly lumpen, going to have to be replaced in wire. Bachmann have demonstrated better on earlier models such as the ROD/O4, so this is not a case of 'best we could achieve'.

This isn't remotely an essential loco for my modelling interest, so if it doesn't impress that may be that, for all that I genuinely like 0-6-0s as model subjects and want a representative selection of the pre-group classes distributed around the UK. (On a different note, have yet to buy a Black 5 as the available model just doesn't quite cut it for me, and those did occasionally bowl up at KX, so one example is really required. (Come on 'someone' there's room for a really fine model, perhaps tooled for some of the variants?)

#236 ·
Well I have quite a lot of Black 5's but I need some X4026 motors yes an upgrade would be nice but the BR5 needs replacement having now just about replaced the V2, I find this frustrating and nice but odd that the Double Fairlie gets such attention when there were 4 of them? but what 172 BR5's and an old poor model so yes I like the Fairlei but it would be the most expensive model I have? purchased.

#237 ·
...I find this frustrating and nice but odd that the Double Fairlie gets such attention when there were 4 of them?...
Novelty is all and only what that is about.
Distinctly different, colourful and attractive​
Likely to be the all time champion best performing RTR UK OO9 steam model ever​
Goes forwards and - er - forwards, so endless column inches can be filled with 'solutions' for DCC​
Loads of new layouts with names like Slate Summit, Gwynedd Beat, Caernarfon Fields, Little Beddgelert​
Practically writes itself: I am not a journalist and all the above was effortless.

#240 ·
Would seem so as its listed as being in transit like the V2 in the November Collectors Club magazine. Re the Fairlie the Collectors Club DLG model is actually a scale 1ft 4 3/4inches short (5.58mm); DLG and Meriddin Emrys as running today being typically quoted as being at 13inch:ft in comparison to the NRMs Livingston Thompson.

#243 ·
... the huge price for a Fairlie probably reflects the air freight costs.
The price is what the manufacturer thinks they can get for it. As what is clearly the best steam model ever produced for UK RTR OO9, I would have gone for 'as much as we can' pricing. And if they sell out rapidly, and then start being sold on for more...

Wonder how airfreight now shapes up - especially for smaller and lighter product - compared to sea freight? When you factor in time to recover the investment, and market's starved of supply, I'd not be surprised that it begins to look the better choice.

#242 ·
Not sure about that, yes mechanically it is the equiv of a £150 N gauge diesel but then there is a lot more to it than your typical N gauge diesel so if you take it to be two 0-4-0s coupled together a pair of Hunslets when they appear will be £270-£290, knock a motor off and a pair of cab backs and £235 looks reasonble (all quoted prices ignoring discounts)

#244 ·
#247 ·
Now here's some Accurascale rolling stock I might actually buy if I could convince myself that a crimson or maroon example might have escaped from the Western Region on a day trip to the West Riding ...
They will have done on occasion. May not have returned home, look pretty much ideal for pigeon lofts, hen coops, whippet kennels... (The common 'foreign' NPCS up North in BR days were the long wheelbase SR vans. The thought has occurred to me that this may been because they were either or both of the right size for the typical load, and small enough to enter rail served industrial premises with tight clearances.)

#249 ·
I see that those that ordered the Improved Precedent from Rails of Sheffield are receiving them, the models looking very neat indeed, the LNWR black setting off their Creweness. First 2-4-0 tender loco in RTR OO, and very much the 'last significant blast' for fast express service of this once very widely used wheel arrangement. (After this it's going to be the 'big engine'; the year after the last of this class was turned out the Ivatt large atlantic was on the road, demonstrating the way forward, use the wide firebox for maximum express passenger power.)

#251 ·
Bachmann's long awaited V2 has begun to arrive with those that pre-ordered.
Must have been a big container. A class 47 sized box arrived yesterday but got intercepted and diverted under the Christmas tree.

David

Reactions: Julian2011
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.