Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
To be quite honest I have mixed feeling about this petition.

If all enthusiasts behaved in a reasonable & safe manner there would probably be no need for this petition. If you read the guidelines from both Network Rail & the BTP & follow them, there should be no problem.

In my main work I have regular contact with Network Rail Duty Station Managers & almost without exception they are happy to allow people to follow their hobby, provided that they stick to the guidelines. Treat the Station Staff with respect & they will return it.

Unfortunatly, there will always be the occasional idiot on one side & the odd over zealous official on the other.

·
Registered
340 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 9 Jun 2008, 13:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>To be quite honest I have mixed feeling about this petition.

If all enthusiasts behaved in a reasonable & safe manner there would probably be no need for this petition. If you read the guidelines from both Network Rail & the BTP & follow them, there should be no problem.

In my main work I have regular contact with Network Rail Duty Station Managers & almost without exception they are happy to allow people to follow their hobby, provided that they stick to the guidelines. Treat the Station Staff with respect & they will return it.

Unfortunatly, there will always be the occasional idiot on one side & the odd over zealous official on the other.
I was once told to delete all the pictures on my camera for having taken a picture of a London underground train for no apparent reason as I didn't plan to blow it up later on!
Ben

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 9 Jun 2008, 12:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Unfortunatly, there will always be the occasional idiot on one side & the odd over zealous official on the other.
Trouble is that the 'over zealous official' seems to be in the majority at the moment.

Latest item in the current (July) Railway Magazine under their 'Iron Curtain Britain?' by-line tells of one reader who was told he could photograph the trains but not the station buildings or the posters thereon and another who was told he could also photograph the trains but not the track!

The most remarkable quote is from a professional compiler of route maps for TOCs who was contracted to produce maps, signal details etc for a TOC - and then was forbidden by the Safety Director of the same TOC to go on to any platforms unless accompanied by one of their own staff and that he could not take photos anyway!

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 9 Jun 2008, 13:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>To be quite honest I have mixed feeling about this petition.

Are you trying to say Enthusiasts behave in a manner likely to make them look like some Terrorist and regardless of their age?
I most certainly DO follow the guidelines, but at the same time, I AM an English White and certainly NOT a Terrorist.
I DO ask permission to take pictures, but do NOT expect to be asked over a Station P/A System to stop taking photographs AFTER showing a railway ID CARD for crying out loud.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (trainman @ 11 Jun 2008, 00:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you trying to say Enthusiasts behave in a manner likely to make them look like some Terrorist and regardless of their age?
I most certainly DO follow the guidelines, but at the same time, I AM an English White and certainly NOT a Terrorist.
I DO ask permission to take pictures, but do NOT expect to be asked over a Station P/A System to stop taking photographs AFTER showing a railway ID CARD for crying out loud.
Not at all if you read my post correctly "If all enthusiasts behaved in a reasonable & safe manner" to repeat in part.

No mention at all about about colour or looks, but as you brought the subject up I, for one am old enough to remember a terrorist organisation whose members were certainly white & certainly western european looking. Don't also forget that "English Whites" get recruited int extrem organisasions of all type.

There will always be the odd occasion, no matter what the rules & guidelines when somebody is pulled - just imagine the outcry if security was lax & their was an incident.

To be honest, I had hoped my opinion would have been left at that, without comments that are almost racist.

As it happens I have been asked over a station PA (in a major station) to report to the DSM after signing in & displaying two ID badges, one company & one station - you can't expect absolutly everyone that works on the station to be informed that you are there !

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
I have had a reported post on this thread.

I cant honestly see anything that would cause offence but lets take the race side of this subject as 'read' please.

My own experience has been a mixed one. generally i go to london bridge and stand on the far end of the through platforms. i mind my own business and nobody has ever bothered me.
I have only had trouble twice. once was on st pancras (before the rebuild) when the security buard didnt even want to listen to what i was trying to say, he just wanted me off the station.
the other occasion was on the underground. on one of my pictures i forgot to disable the flash. now i expected to be told off for this but nothing prepared mee for the spanish inquisition that insued!!

By best moment of iron curtain rail was at southampton. i was at university there throughout the build up of the wars in afghanistan and the second gulf war. i often used to stand on the main platform taking pictures and the station staff were used to mee and i never had any problems they were good as gold. one day though one of them came up to mee and informed mee that there was a military train comming through and asked me not to take any pictures.
This kind member of the station staff had just unwittingly given me enough time to leg out of the station and along the path to a bridge that was out of sight and was also a really good spot to take some decent pictures!

Peter

·
Registered
89 Posts
As a retired railwayman who still has his British Rail ID card, I do feel that IN SOME cases the station staff today go over the top, but not always, they should be approched with courtesy BEFORE anyone starts taking photos, I would say 8 out of ten are ok about it.
I started my railway career on "the loco" in 1957 and I finished (retired) on the railway at the end of British Rail as Station Supervisor at Paddington station. So I do have some understandings for the thoughts of the modern day station staff.
But you can sign as many petitions as you like, it is purely down to the person in charge at a particular station whether or not they let you take photos on their companys premises.

But please dont let race creep in to things, in any form, we can do without that sort of thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts