Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Something that will interest the N gauge people. Extra pickups and from my experience I actually think they are better than the OEM ones.

Available from DCC Concepts in Perth @ $29.95 for a packet of 50.

They do the job very well and I was surprised with the low co-efficient of friction, run the wheels and they will spin for a couple of seconds.

You have pick up from the axle and wheel.

My one question to DCC Concepts when are the OO gauge ones coming?

Martin

·
Dogsbody
1,387 Posts
I can't tell from the pictures, but I wonder if it would be possible to put two on an axle , one for each wheel, with an insulating washer, on OO guage axles ?

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE My one question to DCC Concepts when are the OO gauge ones coming?

Seconded. Pick ups have to be one of the most important issues for me in railway modelling.

David

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

I have tried, no joy the OO axle's are too big in diameter but the minute they become available I will let you know as I have 50+ coaches that have lights that are getting this fit out. Not looking forward to that little exercise.

Martin

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
*** Hello Bob

I'd just noticed Martins Post - I remember him buying them but wasn't aware he was playing around with N scale at the moment! Very surprised to see the post as I'd just finished doing some custom programming of sound for his Bachmann OO scale 9F!

No, the axle diameter is different - the N scale pickups are designed for N only - the standard N axle is 1.5mm diameter, the spring, which is 0.1mm Phosphor bronze, has a 1.8mm ID so its an easy sliding fit that never loses contact but adds absolutley no friction either.

A dead easy install as you can see, and also OK for added loco pickups on tender or any undriven axles - far better than any form of wiper!

The 4mm/OO/HO scale ones will be of a larger internal diameter to match the 2mm diameter axles, but the same length - longer is not needed, (and for some N, very slightly shorter may be better but its not critical at all)

I'm pleased he posted it as I have been so distracted with other things that I forgot to announce they had arrived some time ago!

The Larger ones for OO/HO will be about 3~4 weeks. Price may vary for the OO ones as the N springs were bought at the very start of the exchange rate collapse...

Richard

·
Registered
407 Posts
this must be one of the simplest and yet most important and exciting products for any gauge - exactly as someone else said - pick is critical for smooth operation esp as the size and weight & wheel/rail contact area gets smaller/lighter in the smaller gauges.

i have some questions:-

how do u get the spring onto the axle?

does the spring touch the inside of the wheel as well as being in contact with the axle to collect current?

do some axle/wheels need to be changed - ie- if the wheel rims are insulated from the axle or the axle is plastic?

are some wheel/axle sets made with a metal axle with metal thru to one wheel on one side only and then a plastic wheel with metal rim on other side of axle (to avoid a short circuit)?

sorry for the maybe obvious q's but im still learning about some of this stuff!.

i might have to buy some of these!

·
Registered
407 Posts
QUOTE (BobB @ 1 Mar 2009, 12:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I can't tell from the pictures, but I wonder if it would be possible to put two on an axle , one for each wheel, with an insulating washer, on OO guage axles ?

brilliant idea, even for n gauge - as long as the axle is plastic and the spring just makes contact with the inside surfaces of the wheels!.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
*** The spring contacts only the axle. To get it to work you need to have one wheel live to axle, one insulated. This is very common in wheels in all scales, especially on coaches.

If the wheels are both insulated, then you need to either replace the wheelsets or make one wheel live to the axle - this can be via small etched discs available from someone like Bill bedford, or conductive silver paint or conductive epoxy from us and other suppliers.

db ice 3 - It will work only with metal axles. As above it needs one wheel live to that axle. To add it, you remove one wheel, slip it on and replace the wheel. There is a tail on each spring to make adding the wire easy.

In his images I think Martin actually cut the tails too short, as they should be of such a length that the wire can be out of sight totally - however his red wire at least makes it clear :).

Richard

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 1 Mar 2009, 17:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'd just noticed Martins Post - I remember him buying them but wasn't aware he was playing around with N scale at the moment!

I'm pleased he posted it as I have been so distracted with other things that I forgot to announce they had arrived some time ago!

Hi Richard.

This is exactly what I have been looking for. You may recall I bought some 'Flickerfree' lights from you some time ago but I have not installed them yet as I was trying, unsuccessfully, to find the right materials to make the pickups from. Please drop me a PM so that we can arrange payment/shipping etc.

·
Registered
407 Posts
hi richard, can u tell me if minitrix axles (on their current ice3 model & accompanying extra carriages) have an axle that the wheel comes off easily and if their axle is live to one wheel? i cant tell and i dont wanna break a wheel off an axle trying to remove it! lol.

thx. how wud i order these from you? ... by telephone?

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
*** Minitrix usually do have them this way from memory. Wheels usually pop out easily by flexing the frame a little - thats how theyare put there in the first place :)

You can easily check by using a meter - switch it to ohms or if it has one to the setting for continuity test. Place one probe on the wheel and one on the axle. If it reads zero or close to it that wheel is live.

If you are not in a mad hurry I will be supplying these to a couple of UK stores as soon as orders are confirmed.... if you want now can also supply direct if U email me at the email address in my signature at the bottom of this reply to confirm details.

Richard

1 - 11 of 11 Posts