Model Railway Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys just taken delivery of a new Midland mainline hst along with 2 second coaches, 1 buffet coach and 1 first class to go along with the coach you get with the hst power cars.

I must say the difference between the new Midland Mainline one over the GNER rake is fantastic.

The detail on the midland mainline hst is fantastic. And the price was bad either. I paid £119.00 for the lot. Now all I have to do is get the power car dcc'd to run alongside my GNER one.

I'll get some picture of it in the next few days.

I had to make a sacrifice for it though in the shape of my 2 Dapol Virgin Voyagers. Which isn't great loss I guess I'll wait and get the farish one when it comes out as the latest pictures of it with the delner coupling that will actually work with a new virgin thunderbird that I have heard that farish are thinking of re-designing to make it utilise the coupling as it should do in real life.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well after closer inspection I have noticed a couple of scratches on the coach that came with the 2 power cars. I wouldn't care it came direct from Bachmann.

So I took a trip back to the model shop this morning and they were very apologetic and phoned bachmann straight away and they are sending it back.

Oh well I hope the scrutineers at bachmann check the replacement one before sending it back. I wouldn't care this is the first loco I have had to send back it must have been the examiners break when that coach went through eh? lol.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well 3 weeks later and still no sight of the replacement pack as I had to send both the power and dummy unit as well as the coach that comes in the pack.

The official word is that they were busy fixing other things on the list first them would get round to looking at my hst.
Why not just send a replacement pack it would mean I would have my hst up as I didn't even have it 24hrs and never even got to run it.

I must admit it is frustrating if something goes wrong and things have to go back to bachmann as it seems to take forever to get the items back...

·
Registered
264 Posts
[quote name='harkins77' date='1 Nov 2007, 17:59' post='3

I must admit it is frustrating if something goes wrong and things have to go back to bachmann as it seems to take forever to get the items back...
[/quote]

No, you do not have to send it back to Bachmann or any other manufacturer. Consumer law states that the seller is responsible for replacing the item or refunding your money in the event of a problem.

In the last month, I have returned a Hornby Steamer (Battle of Britain) after I noticed that there was a gap in the boiler. This was refunded as there was not a replacement.
From the same shop, I purchased a Bachmann class 47. The first one had a warped wheel set. This was returned and replaced. The second one had a LED out on one of the headlights. This was replaced with a third that is (fingers crossed) still working o.k.
I had also purchased four Vi-train class 37's. One was two months old and kept losing its drive shaft. This was refunded as I did not want a replacement.
I also returned a Hornby class 08 as it squealed like a stuck pig. This was from a High street Hobby shop. It was refunded.
I would go straight back to the shop you bought it from and ask for a refund.

Alan

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HI Alan,

Thanks for the reply, I had specially ordered it from Bachmann as the shop did not have the loco pack in stock,

It is not the shops fault but Bachmanns as all they have to do is take a look at the coach that came in the pack and then send a new one in replacement but they seem to be dragging their feet.

I understand that there maybe other persons who send things back and i am in a queue but for something so easy why do they not organise the returns in easy-medium-hard fix places so they can get the easy fix problems like mines done so they don't upset the customer.

I mean it does make sense...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hi,

Ordering direct from Bachmann or Hornby for that matter, whether it is by internet or phone, means they are 'THE SHOP' in accordance with consumer law. The fact that they are the manufacturers as well is irrelevant.
You were, and are, entitled to a new replacement not a repair, as the items were like it on arrival.
If it was me, I would phone them to-day, explain that I have rejected the set in accordance with my consumer rights and request that they send a new unit by return.

Alan

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (alanb @ 2 Nov 2007, 12:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi,

Ordering direct from Bachmann or Hornby for that matter, whether it is by internet or phone, means they are 'THE SHOP' in accordance with consumer law. The fact that they are the manufacturers as well is irrelevant.
You were, and are, entitled to a new replacement not a repair, as the items were like it on arrival.
If it was me, I would phone them to-day, explain that I have rejected the set in accordance with my consumer rights and request that they send a new unit by return.
Alan

Yes I know that Alan but Bachmann have to see the fault before it is replaced and the problem I am having is that they are taking so long before getting to look at the one I have sent back before issuing me with a new one. I have no doubt they are going to give me a new one it is just the time it is taking to get that new one.

Even if I went to the shop I got it from they would have to order it from bachmann and it would take just as long to arrive.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yep, see your point.

It would be bad enough if it was a shop causing a problem, but it is something else when it is the manufacturer. It does not give other people much confidence to buy their products.
I am assuming that you cannot get this item from another source, otherwise you could ask for a refund.

An excellent example of how it should be done, was when I returned two duff decoders to Hattons. They did not have any stock at the time, but instead of saying 'WAIT', by return of post I received a credit card refund for the full amount. This enabled me to source one from another supplier as I needed it urgently. Suffice to say that as soon as Hattons had stock, I ordered my others from them. Good service pays.

A bad example (not trains) I recently experienced was by a large national shop chain. I had purchased a television over their net shop, but exactly two months later it bust.
I was happy to send it for repair, as I had used the same contractor before and received a repair in 4 days. After two weeks, and no sign of the T.V. as they were 'awaiting parts', I phoned the stores consumer service line. After 5 days of trying to get some action, they finally told me that they had been told that the part was on 'long order' (I think they meant that it was on a slow boat from China), and that the manufacturer would not authorise a replacement.
At this point, I wrote to the managing director of the store in London explaining that there was a 'consumer law' that gave me more rights than their '28 days' for replacement.
The upshot was that as they could not replace the same model as they had no stock, I was given a brand new telly of a different make.

The moral of the story is that the government gave us our rights in consumer law, but it is up to us to fight for it and not let the big boys get away with i

Sorry about that, but I think you get my meaning. I do hope you get to enjoy the use of your new model in the not too distant future.

Alan

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Bachmann reply this this issue thus:

QUOTE (Public Relations Dept. @ Bachmann Europe Plc.)Firstly can we make it clear that this item was not ordered direct from Bachmann. We only sell to the model trade (and they must have shop premises) and we do not operate any on-line shopping facility. It would appear that the dealer concerned did not have this item in stock and therefore ordered this item especially for the customer.

The item concerned was received here from the dealer in Cleveland on the 22nd October and was despatched back to them on Monday 5 November.

Our Service Department to whom the item was returned under warranty, deal with all items in strict rotation from receipt. The customer should now have received a replacement via his dealer.

I trust this clears up any misunderstanding about how this item was ordered.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (Doug @ 6 Nov 2007, 15:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Bachmann reply this this issue thus:

Hi there can I first make an apology as where bachmann have stated that I bought it direct from them I wrote down the wrong thing saying that I had bought the item direct from them and I should have written that the dealer got the item from Bachmann and I apologise if this has caused any offence. It was NOT meant to damage Bachmann's reputation it was through frustration.

Doug if you have a contact at Bachmann could you please send my apologies regarding this and for it to be the end of the matter.

With regards to the item itself it has just arrived today and it is as first stated in my first post an excellent loco with very nice details.

I will continue to buy Bachmann Farish items as I find that they are very well made and I hope they go on to create many other fine models for the british market. And I hope that they do not take my comments to heart and I again apologise for my comments and I hope they continue to do a first class job.

Regards

Mr. Harkins.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I've deleted a post that didn't help anything at all and a couple of replies to the post.

As the situation is resolved, I'm closing the topic too.

Remember that the service and customer support centres of most model companies are there to help the end user. I have had and have heard of others who have had good response from Bachmann and Hornby.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.