Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new set the hornby pendolino. Now two things it does not like points at low speeds an jumps track, an at full speed it seems slow its an express train? Any ideas or will it bed in-in time

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Check the back to back distance of the wheels on the Pendolino. Should be 14.5mm from memory. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Also check that the points are flat and smooth with nothing sticking up to derail your trains. Get a small wagon and run it over the points by hand to see how it goes.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I recently bought one of those, and I ran it in with the Hornby chip as supplied, and the Select.

Hornby chips are notorious for reducing the speed of the engines because they do not want it to exceed the 1/2 amp of the decoder.

I use a Prodigy controller with a Lenz chip, and the top speed is brilliant.

They are sensitive to some points. It constantly derailed on a Hornby double curved point, but when I changed it for a standard set track point it whizzed over it at top speed.

If you have one particular point that it does not like, change it with a spare (if you have one) this usually works, or make sure the point is totally flat - pin it down.

I have had it bombing down a slope then into a number 2 curve (three quarters around a circle, across a point, and then a No 2 curve sharp right into a tunnel. No problem.

Alanb

·
Registered
47 Posts
slow like i put my eurostar on with 8 coaches at max an was quick the pendlino is about 3 quaters the speed on full with no coaches, an the points are standard i will change them maybe the same with the decoader. alanb what lenz chip is in yours an the model off the controller thanks

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I use a Lenz Gold in mine and it goes fast. However due to the poor current pick up it will either go very fast or stutter along. If I remove the traction tyres it has good current pick up but treads water and doesn't move at all with the wheels spinning wildly. My current compromise is to have smaller traction tyres on it so that it can get some current and move.

·
Trainee pensioner
212 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
There are two ways of adding a different decoder.

I removed the three screws from the circuit board (having removed the decoder). Turning it over carefully so as not to remove the plugs (all black wires), you will see the brass coloured connector lugs. With a fine soldering iron carefully touch the iron and solder to each lug until the solder runs. ensure there is no overrun onto adjacent lugs.
Cut the 8 pin plug off your decoder, and remove a tiny piece of insulation, and prime each wire end with solder. Now carefully solder each wire colour for colour as it is in the decoder plug. Remember you are upside down.

This method leaves the decoder and plug in one piece in case you want to restore it later.

The easy quick method is to cut the wires on the existing decoder half way along , remove the 8 pin plug from the new decoder, strip and tin both sets of wire ends, and solder together wire colour to wire colour, using shrink tube to insulate. You will be left with a green and purple wire which are not needed.

I found that after fitting my Lenz decoder L10331 the usual growl on the motor at slow speed disappeared.

This was also found by at least four other people who changed decoders after this was reported by myself and another person on the Hornby Forum.

Decoders used were Lenz, Digitrax, and TCS.

This discussion can be read on the Hornby Forum - DCC section - View all discussions - Smooth Pendolino

For information, I use a Prodigy Advance 2 controller.

AlanB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts