Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The test etch for a new LNER silver jubilee kit arrived on my bench last night. and i was up most of the night putting it together.

This kit already has a long story behind it even though it has never been released to the public. it started life as an O Gauge kit. the drawings were then purchased by someone else and reduced to 4mm.

It was tweaked to account for the reduction (not as easy as it sounds) and a test etch was produced of the corridor third. This etch was then sent to someone for test building and was eagerly awaited buy the owner. unfortunatly he had to wait 2 years before finally giving up on the chap and had him return it. last week it arrived back at base and yesterday it found its way onto my bench.

having written all that i now find that photobucket is down for maintanance and i cant upload the pictures. so you will have to wait in anticipation untill later.

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts

There are 1 or 2 issues with the test. firstly the holes for bolting the body to the chassis are too small for the 8BA bolts.
There are supports for the skirt that are a complete waste of time. the skirt supports itself perfectly well. these will be removed before the final production.
The articulation unit i think needs revising. or at least we need to get the instructions from the chap who did the O gauge model.

If all goes well it should be ready for warley.

Peter

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Looks good Peter, I hope you were careful with the solder!!

Regards

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 2 Nov 2007, 13:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes i was very carefull. and i was soldering fullly clothed this time!

Well that's good to know.

Regards

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Looking real good Peter. Is this something you're marketing yourself? I look forward to seeing the finished train at Warley

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not much chance of a finished train buy warley, but this model will be on display. I do design work for the company that is marketing it and i will correct the artwork for this model. once the corrections are made new photo tool will be produced and the kit will go on sale very soon.

It will be announced at warley. We will start by making a triplet early in the new year (if not before) then the kit will go into production. if the triplet works then evrything else will. its only variations on a theme, I want a train for myself but its not necessary to test build an entire train. also it would take up a huge ammount of space in the display cases. a kitchine triplet will give people the idea of what it looks like and also give us a chance to make sure the tables work. (this model has proven the corridor partitions).

There are only minor corrections to make to this model, but there are lots of them.

Once the jubilee is in production the design will be altered to make a coranation but thats probably going to be the middle of next year.

Peter

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
As an eastern region modeller, this kind of coaching set is of interest to me. The difficulty for me is that they are always marketed under their original names - Jubilee set, Coronation set and so on. That's fine if you are working in their original introductory time frame, in this case the mid 30s but what happened to these sets subsequently? In my case I am wondering what happened in the 50s. I presume that they were probably still in service but what trains were they part of and what colours did they run in?

I think it would be a great marketing + if the website blurb that accompanies the kits could say a little about the whole lifetime of the stock and not just the beginning. Then maybe people like me would pluck up the courage to buy a kit and try carriage building for the first time and get some variety into our Hornby / Bachmann rakes of coaches.

David

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Thankyou for your sugestion. concider it done.

The coaches survived the war but they were destined to never again run in formation. they also lost their underframe skirt. the first class coaches didnt have many seats and so they were the first to go.

There will be another etch that will contain the trussing that will be sold as an optional extra if you want to make them in their later form. tha artwork for this is also done but as with the coaches themselves it all needs a little tweaking. it will probably be tackled around easter next year.

Our main aim at the moment is to get them into production and start to make back some of the investment that went into buying the artwork in the first place.

Peter

Sorry forgot to say, they ran in maroon after the war. some still with the stainless steel window surrounds and some were painted over.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE Thankyou for your sugestion. concider it done.

I look forward to reading it. I am sure you will remember to provide a URL for us all to have a look at once the units go into production.

QUOTE There will be another etch that will contain the trussing that will be sold as an optional extra if you want to make them in their later form. tha artwork for this is also done but as with the coaches themselves it all needs a little tweaking. it will probably be tackled around easter next year.

That's the stuff I'd want. I agree with your reasons for the delay. To stay in business you need to make money.

David

·
Registered
73 Posts
Peter,

From what I've seen of your posts you are as much an enthusiast as an industry worker. As long as its on your bench and you are enjoying it then its a valid bench post in my eyes!

Once again, thanks for sharing your progress.

Alex

·
In depth idiot
7,677 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 4 Nov 2007, 10:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As an eastern region modeller, this kind of coaching set is of interest to me. The difficulty for me is that they are always marketed under their original names - Jubilee set, Coronation set and so on. That's fine if you are working in their original introductory time frame, in this case the mid 30s but what happened to these sets subsequently? In my case I am wondering what happened in the 50s. I presume that they were probably still in service but what trains were they part of and what colours did they run in?
In brief, they were dispersed around three BR regions, ER, NER, ScR, and never ran again in the original formations. As already mentioned the underframe valances and end fairings were removed, and once repainted they carried the standard BR liveries, typically lasting to the early 1960's.

Some notes I have gleaned from various sources. On Colour Rail BRE1136 a Coronation twin can be seen in summer 1949, recognisable by the two tone blue amid (grubby) teak. A Coronation open first twin was used regularly in the Talisman service (E1713/4E). An article by David Lowther states that the Silver Jubilee set was split with the twin first and triplet third going to Scotland and initially used on the summer Fife Coast Express, the triplet restaurant going to NER and used on the principal Newcastle to KX services until withdrawal in 1961.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE In brief, they were dispersed around three BR regions, ER, NER, ScR, and never ran again in the original formations

That would suit me quite well as I don't have the room for a full set.

Thanks for the information.

David

·
Registered
7 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 5 Nov 2007, 18:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That would suit me quite well as I don't have the room for a full set.

Thanks for the information.

David

Tony Wright did an article for the Modeller circa 1990 late 80's for Leighford i believe about a pair of the Coronation twins. IIRC the under frame is a nearly std affair. i think it was the twin first because it should of had the extra door added as a safety measure in the fiftys.

for what its worth Peter i'm interested in a set and will hunt you out at warley, what stand will you be on?

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
just a quick update. we ordered a second test etch of the all third pictured earlier in this thread despite its errors so we could have a twin on show at warley and also to test the articulation system. the etch arrived yesterday morning and i put it together last night. it looks fanbtastic and it runs like a dream.

Next step is to order an etch of windows and make sure they fit.

Peter

·
Registered
763 Posts
Hasty summary of Harris, LNER Coaches, on post war use:

Silver Jubilee : twin first/triplet third sent to ScR 1948, and used as the Fife Coast Express until late 50s , withdrawn 1962
Restaurant car triplet used on a KX/Newcastle service 1948-61

Coronation sets - vehicles mainly used on ECML services, but also on the Master Cutler, and other things including a Manchester/Cleethorpes train . Two twin first articulates regularly used in the Talisman KX/Edinburgh until 1963/4, with the third twin first as spare.

Most of the vehicles off the W.Riding Limited used in a post war KX/Leeds service named the West Riding

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE Hasty summary of Harris, LNER Coaches, on post war use:

Sounds like a useful book. Is it still in print? Maybe I could find a copy at Warley?

Thanks for the info.

David

1 - 20 of 30 Posts