Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The test etch for a new LNER silver jubilee kit arrived on my bench last night. and i was up most of the night putting it together.

This kit already has a long story behind it even though it has never been released to the public. it started life as an O Gauge kit. the drawings were then purchased by someone else and reduced to 4mm.

It was tweaked to account for the reduction (not as easy as it sounds) and a test etch was produced of the corridor third. This etch was then sent to someone for test building and was eagerly awaited buy the owner. unfortunatly he had to wait 2 years before finally giving up on the chap and had him return it. last week it arrived back at base and yesterday it found its way onto my bench.

having written all that i now find that photobucket is down for maintanance and i cant upload the pictures. so you will have to wait in anticipation untill later.

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts

There are 1 or 2 issues with the test. firstly the holes for bolting the body to the chassis are too small for the 8BA bolts.
There are supports for the skirt that are a complete waste of time. the skirt supports itself perfectly well. these will be removed before the final production.
The articulation unit i think needs revising. or at least we need to get the instructions from the chap who did the O gauge model.

If all goes well it should be ready for warley.

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not much chance of a finished train buy warley, but this model will be on display. I do design work for the company that is marketing it and i will correct the artwork for this model. once the corrections are made new photo tool will be produced and the kit will go on sale very soon.

It will be announced at warley. We will start by making a triplet early in the new year (if not before) then the kit will go into production. if the triplet works then evrything else will. its only variations on a theme, I want a train for myself but its not necessary to test build an entire train. also it would take up a huge ammount of space in the display cases. a kitchine triplet will give people the idea of what it looks like and also give us a chance to make sure the tables work. (this model has proven the corridor partitions).

There are only minor corrections to make to this model, but there are lots of them.

Once the jubilee is in production the design will be altered to make a coranation but thats probably going to be the middle of next year.

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Thankyou for your sugestion. concider it done.

The coaches survived the war but they were destined to never again run in formation. they also lost their underframe skirt. the first class coaches didnt have many seats and so they were the first to go.

There will be another etch that will contain the trussing that will be sold as an optional extra if you want to make them in their later form. tha artwork for this is also done but as with the coaches themselves it all needs a little tweaking. it will probably be tackled around easter next year.

Our main aim at the moment is to get them into production and start to make back some of the investment that went into buying the artwork in the first place.

Peter

Sorry forgot to say, they ran in maroon after the war. some still with the stainless steel window surrounds and some were painted over.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
just a quick update. we ordered a second test etch of the all third pictured earlier in this thread despite its errors so we could have a twin on show at warley and also to test the articulation system. the etch arrived yesterday morning and i put it together last night. it looks fanbtastic and it runs like a dream.

Next step is to order an etch of windows and make sure they fit.

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
No new pictures, but I can tell you that the drawings for the kitchine triplet and the roof went off to the etchers about 1pm yesterday. We should have some brass back in about a week. I really dont know when its going to be done. I have decided to take a break from railways and my job from dec 19th untill jan 7th. If it arrives in time then it will be done. But it may just have to wait untill january.

I have done lots of modifications to the etches that should make the kit even simpler to build. I have also removed alot fo the unnecessary stuff that was needed in O gauge but not in 4mm.

The third twin was completed especially for Warly and was on show and attracted conciderable interest. we have also had an offer from a magazine to review it.

I dont handle the price and marketing side of things (sorry)

It will not be suitable for first radius curves.

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Just a quick update. The etches for the kitchine triplet are waiting for mee to return to work after christmas. likely to be the 8th as my girlfriend returns home on the 7th. But BAA have a strike planned for the 7th so it could be a bit later than that!

The etches I am told look fantastic but i havent actually seen them in person yet.

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
hello Martin

i mentioned on my bench thread (http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2059&st=105) that for various reasons i am no longer working for that company. and i have absoloutly no intention of even trying to go back.

I continued correcting them and sent off the designs for 2 of the coaches because i wanted a set for myself.

Unfortunatly the etching company sent the bill to the old company and then all hell broke loose!!

anyway the bottom line is that all the drawings are corrected and ready to go but the only plase there is a complete set of corrected drawings is on my desktop pc and on my backup disc and i have absoloutly no intention of ever handing them over. i could have argued that the enormous ammount of corrections that i had done made them a different design but frankly whats the point (there were several thousand alterations and i dont think a single part was to the origional design). i have no doubt that that particular rumor mill is in full swing but frankly i dont really care.

The sheer number of alteration involved for someone else to correct those drawings to make it into a working model i feel is prohibitively expensive unless someone is doing it for free (as i was for myself) so effectivly the model is dead and i cant see any further progress happenning on it in the near future.

BUT - i still want a set for myself.

So this is my current plan, firstly i am getting married in a few weeks and evrything is on hold before then. i have been doing allot of thinking about how i would have designed it and am pretty confident that i can get a working model fairly easily and and it would be designed from scratch. I would hold ALL rights to the drawings. (i would then be free to sell them to whoever i liked-possibly under my own label, this is something i have been thinking about for some time and even have a draft website ready!!).
The only drawback is i dont have bogies for it but there are so many aftermarket people selling Gresley bogies (247, MJT, Comet etc..) that i really cant see this being a problem. at some point i may concider trying to make some masters but i think for now at least the skils involved are beyond me.
It would also be significantly cheaper than the old model was going to be.

My only regret with this project is that when i split with the company i didnt instantly start again from scratch as it would have saved a huge ammount of time and fuss. I am very bitter about the split with the company as many of the coaches that were featured on my bench thread i was offered an offensivly low sum of money for (i turned it down) and so i have very little to show for the last 2 years work. I am determined not to let this happen again and so i have set a limit of 50% of my work being on comissions so if it all goes belly up again i wont be left with nothing.

i also have a few other drawings that i own all of the rights to.

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
QUOTE if you do go ahead put me down for a complete set and I can source the bogies else where.

i will definatly go ahead with my project as its the only concieveable way that i am going to get a set for myself. One area of the origional model that i was really not happy with was the articulation. i may incorporate holes with the correct spacing for the MJT articulation system.

QUOTE Best of luck with your wedding.

Thankyou very much martin. just about 40 days to go now!!

Peter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.