Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
In depth idiot
8,267 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 4 Nov 2007, 10:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As an eastern region modeller, this kind of coaching set is of interest to me. The difficulty for me is that they are always marketed under their original names - Jubilee set, Coronation set and so on. That's fine if you are working in their original introductory time frame, in this case the mid 30s but what happened to these sets subsequently? In my case I am wondering what happened in the 50s. I presume that they were probably still in service but what trains were they part of and what colours did they run in?
In brief, they were dispersed around three BR regions, ER, NER, ScR, and never ran again in the original formations. As already mentioned the underframe valances and end fairings were removed, and once repainted they carried the standard BR liveries, typically lasting to the early 1960's.

Some notes I have gleaned from various sources. On Colour Rail BRE1136 a Coronation twin can be seen in summer 1949, recognisable by the two tone blue amid (grubby) teak. A Coronation open first twin was used regularly in the Talisman service (E1713/4E). An article by David Lowther states that the Silver Jubilee set was split with the twin first and triplet third going to Scotland and initially used on the summer Fife Coast Express, the triplet restaurant going to NER and used on the principal Newcastle to KX services until withdrawal in 1961.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.