Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hornby have modified the point switching arrangements for 2006 and appear to have reverted back to the former style used in the Triang Hornby days of having a switch lever at the side of the point.

I wonder if this is down to the move to DCC and the fact that manual point switching may in future take place with 15V constantly running through the track.

By having a lever at the side of the point it reduces the chances of little fingers shorting the circuit by touching both rails at the same time when point switching.

I happened to be browsing an online store and noticed that it claimed that the "new style" Hornby points were now in stock. This has arroused my curiousity. There is no mention of this change in the 2006 catalogue although the point images are different to 2005. The point motor makes reference to being suitable for the new model Hornby points.

This is something to look out for when planning your layout.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
763 Posts
That is a bit sneaky of them. I wonder if the others will follow suit as aren't they all from the same source? The bachmann set track certainly is. Its all stamped made in Austria.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
The Bachmann track indeed used the moulds Hornby left at Roco! Hornby production is, however, now all in China. I wondered if Roco's troubles were going to affect Bachmann's track production.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Bachmann track even has the Hornby R numbers on the back!

Apparently Hornby produced new moulds for the China track when production moved to China. Has anybody actually seen the new points yet?

They have only just arrived into the UK.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
You're up late Gary! We have had no news or sight of the new points and I must confess my radar didn't pick upo on this. I'll ask some questions and see if I can get some answers.

You're right about the "R" numbers, dead giveaway!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts