Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
I travelled on the existing line between Nice & Marseilles two months ago on a TGV back to Gare De Lyon, and there didn't seem to be much space for a new line, but it was quite slow, but very picturesque. There's a new station in Monaco replacing the 1869 one, which has been built underground to free up the land previously used by the railway for development.

However if you look up above the towns between Nice & Menton you can see the motorway perched on a succession of bridges between tunnels bored through the rock. Money didn't seem to be a problem for those, but I suppose in these financially challenged times even the French have to think twice on rail projects.

Keith

·
Registered
999 Posts
I did know the type at the time, but can best describe it as the double decker TGV that operate out of Gare De Lyon.. We were on the top deck for the best view.

TGV's achieve their speed on specially laid dedicated new lines so once off those lines they have no particular advantage over other trains.

Pendolinos on the other hand use the APT tilting train technology to achieve higher speeds over existing lines. The Italians, Swiss and us use tilting trains.

Keith.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.