Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just about to move on to DCC -- my layout is end to end with a 3 platform terminal station at one end, fiddle uard at the other. There is a 3 road Motive Power Depot (Loco's and DMU's) and a part double track/single track mainlne approaching the terminal. There is a also a short coal siding (3 wagon length) as well as a loco holding siding adjacent to the station Overall length of the layout is approx 18 feet

I am looking at using either the Dynamis or the NCE PowerCab.

I have seen that both appear to be good and reasonably priced starter systems with add ons available, but I have read that the Dynamis does not read CVs -- is this the case as it says it has programming

I note the PowerCcb is wired and comes with a Power Panel (does this have to be fixed to something) whereas the Dynamis is a wireless handheld so in theat respect they are different

Any other info on the diffferences and benefits of one or the other for the type of layout I have would be helpful.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did read the User Reviews but noticed that the Dynamis was only First Impressions and didnt give a view on how it performed in use

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
Phil,

It's going to be down to personnal choice.

Can you get to any of the shows or stores that have all of these on display, where abouts are you?
It really is the only way to know for sure what they are capable of.

In answer to your question the Dynamis CAN'T read CV's!! It WILL program them though.
You are going to need the pro box to be able to read back the CV's when it's released....who knows what that will cost!

You really need to know how the systems feel when actually using them, this is VERY important and means more than any review!

·
Registered
166 Posts
QUOTE (PhilRMK @ 13 Jan 2008, 14:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am just about to move on to DCC -- my layout is end to end with a 3 platform terminal station at one end, fiddle uard at the other. There is a 3 road Motive Power Depot (Loco's and DMU's) and a part double track/single track mainlne approaching the terminal. There is a also a short coal siding (3 wagon length) as well as a loco holding siding adjacent to the station Overall length of the layout is approx 18 feet

I am looking at using either the Dynamis or the NCE PowerCab.

I have seen that both appear to be good and reasonably priced starter systems with add ons available, but I have read that the Dynamis does not read CVs -- is this the case as it says it has programming

I note the PowerCcb is wired and comes with a Power Panel (does this have to be fixed to something) whereas the Dynamis is a wireless handheld so in theat respect they are different

Any other info on the diffferences and benefits of one or the other for the type of layout I have would be helpful.

Personally I think it is essential to be able to read CV's - so the NCE.

The NCE is walk around whereas the Dynamis is a fixed control point.

Most important - go to a retailer where you can try them BOTH.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
QUOTE Personally I think it is essential to be able to read CV's - so the NCE.
Agreed. The Dynamis in it's current form doesn't interest me too much for it's limitations. Add the Dynamis Pro box and it is a Fine system.

QUOTE The NCE is walk around whereas the Dynamis is a fixed control point.
The Dynamis is IR wireless, giving walk about too.

QUOTE Most important - go to a retailer where you can try them BOTH.
If that is possible, it would be great. Not many retailers have demo units of all the DCC devices they sell.

I've said this for a few years in a row at the same time of year: Every year we have new products announced. Most new items solve to a certain degree the problems encountered by older generation systems. This year, the Dynamis Pro looks interesting - A wireless subset of the EcoS. Also, we see the new Wireless Roco MultiMAUS - looking very interesting. If you were after a new DCC device now. Wait until the German Toy Far to see what is coming out this year and perhaps pick up a second hand controller to use until the one you want is available. You can pick up a good DCC controller for under 60 Euros on eBay.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have seen a few different ones on eBay -- although there are a lot of Hornby Select on there as well !!!

I am in Milton Keynes -- dont know of any nearby stockists etc where I can go and see them

It looks like from what has been said that the PowerCab edges out the Dynamis - just

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
Phil!!!

It's your lucky day!!

Digitrains attend many exhibitions like this one:-

23 February - Milton Keynes MRS 2008

Give Chris a ring at Digitrains tell him what you are looking at and if he could bring them with him, he will be able to demo all of the controllers on the exhibition layout that they use.
They normally have a sound chipped loco on the stand as well so you can get a good feel for the function control!

DIGITRAINS WEB SITE + CONTACT INFO

HTH

·
Registered
29 Posts
QUOTE (wiggy25 @ 13 Jan 2008, 16:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Phil!!!

It's your lucky day!!

Digitrains attend many exhibitions like this one:-

23 February - Milton Keynes MRS 2008

Thanks for that -- Do you know where in Milton Keynes it is held

Just checked my diary though and I am away then -- for that weekend -- typical

·
Registered
697 Posts
The PowerCab seems to be universally liked.
Although it's a very capable system in it's own right, I can't help feeling that it's aimed at getting you to upgrade to a full ProCab set up in due course. The upgrade can be done very easily. They've built just enough limitations into the system to make an upgrade very tempting.

Dynamis with the Pro Box (Dynamis Pro) is aimed at a much lower price point than the ProCab.
It's a much better proposition than the entry level Dynamis alone.
The selling points are the user interface (large screen, loco naming and easy to operate function control) and wireless operation.
It'll be interesting to see where developments take this system in future. A computer control package maybe one possibility?

Doug mentioned the new MultiMaus Pro. It looks very interesting.
I'd like to see if a couple of MultiMaus's limitations have been addressed fully. e.g. now it does consists, how many locos?

In any event, I'd say these are the three you need to look at, unless something new is announced shortly.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Oakydoke @ 14 Jan 2008, 20:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The PowerCab seems to be universally liked.
Although it's a very capable system in it's own right, I can't help feeling that it's aimed at getting you to upgrade to a full ProCab set up in due course. The upgrade can be done very easily. They've built just enough limitations into the system to make an upgrade very tempting.

Dynamis with the Pro Box (Dynamis Pro) is aimed at a much lower price point than the ProCab.
The selling points are the user interface (large screen, loco naming and easy to operate function control) and wireless operation.
It'll be interesting to see where developments take this system in future. A computer control package maybe one possibility?

***Yes, of course they'd like that, as do Dynamis with the Pro Box, however....

Isn't the real difference that with the PowerCab you have ALL functions with no exceptions and simply a lower power handling than the full system, but with the dynamis you MUST upgrade to get some important features.

Both are good systems in their own right, both are very different too. Its a very personal choice once the key facts are understood.

I really think that a simple cost comparison is a bad way to go anyway.... if you add the cost of decoders to whatever system you choose, the total cost difference becomes only a small proportion of the total, so to me anyway, getting the important features is the descision point... as its always more expensive to have to replace the system to get them when the "lack" is fully realised.

Kind regards

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (Oakydoke @ 14 Jan 2008, 11:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The PowerCab seems to be universally liked.

Doug mentioned the new MultiMaus Pro. It looks very interesting.
I'd like to see if a couple of MultiMaus's limitations have been addressed fully. e.g. now it does consists, how many locos?

In any event, I'd say these are the three you need to look at, unless something new is announced shortly.

Thanks for your views on this - I havent looked at the MultiMaus Pro yet

I note you say it is aimed at a much lower price point than the PowerCab, but I havent seen a price yet for the Dynamis Pro -- is there one?

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
There is no price for the Dynamis Pro as it isn't released yet!

The Dynamis is £80, does have limitations until you buy the Pro-box at what ever that will cost.
In my opinion it is really important to be able to read CV's others will no doubt say it's not important

The PowerCab is £89, is fully featured the only upgrade will be more power or PC interface(there is a USB PC interface being launched soon)

Having played with the all of these systems I would put them in this order:-

1. NCE PowerCab: (Positives)Value for money, fully spec'd, full support, proven system (Negs) 2amps to track, No PC interface as yet.
2. Hornby Elite:- (Positives) Dual control, 4amps to track fully spec'd built in PC interface, easy upgrades, Alpha numeric display (Negs) Function controls, NOT a walkabout cab.
3. Digitrax Zephyr:- (Positives)Almost real loco control with throttle lever and brake control, Digitrax system, full upgrades, full support, you can use a basic DC control on the jump port, 3amps to track, proven system (negatives) A little bit plasticy, not as intuitive as some of the others, again not a walk about cab.
4. Bachmann Dynamis:- (Positives) Cheap, good build, IR control, based on ESU system, Alpha numeric display (Negs) Can't read CV's without pro box, 2.5amps to track, Joystick control(just me, I can't get on with it!)

Please remember this is my own opinion and not complete by any means, I have owned all of these systems (apart from the Dynamis) only for a few months, but at least I was able to play about at my leisure, the wife put her foot down, so I couldn't try any more!
I have had the PowerCab while trying all of these other units and it's the one I still have left all the others have been sold, this may tell you something!
Other users will have their own opinions and the order above will be completely different, as will their reasons!

Ask yourself, do I want a cab control or console based control, what is the maximum I can afford right now, if you can afford £300 just for a control system then buy the best controller for your money, if the £300 needs to buy a control system and decoders/locos then buy the best decoders and a cheaper controller!
I was always told that any controller should be able to control any decoder (exceptions noted) the easier and more user friendly it is the better your experience will be.
The decoder is the part that does all of the work though and makes the biggest difference to how the motor(loco) will run, so make sure you get good decoders preferably with the goof-proof warranty, if you connect it wrong it gets replaced free of charge!

HTH

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Oakydoke @ 14 Jan 2008, 22:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Doug mentioned the new MultiMaus Pro. It looks very interesting.
It can now read CV's and does consists with at least two locos. It is also wireless as opposed to Infra red control.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 15 Jan 2008, 08:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It can now read CV's and does consists with at least two locos. It is also wireless as opposed to Infra red control.

***Yes, it does look like they have got it quite right this time feature wise, but in a whole different price league I think. Not at all bad value at all with radio though, although it'd take a lot more "plusses" for Roco to wean me off NCE and ECOS.

Richard

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (wiggy25 @ 14 Jan 2008, 22:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Having played with the all of these systems I would put them in this order:-

1. NCE PowerCab: (Positives)Value for money, fully spec'd, full support, proven system (Negs) 2amps to track, No PC interface as yet.
2. Hornby Elite:- (Positives) Dual control, 4amps to track fully spec'd built in PC interface, easy upgrades, Alpha numeric display (Negs) Function controls, NOT a walkabout cab.
3. Digitrax Zephyr:- (Positives)Almost real loco control with throttle lever and brake control, Digitrax system, full upgrades, full support, you can use a basic DC control on the jump port, 3amps to track, proven system (negatives) A little bit plasticy, not as intuitive as some of the others, again not a walk about cab.
4. Bachmann Dynamis:- (Positives) Cheap, good build, IR control, based on ESU system, Alpha numeric display (Negs) Can't read CV's without pro box, 2.5amps to track, Joystick control(just me, I can't get on with it!)

Please remember this is my own opinion and not complete by any means, I have owned all of these systems (apart from the Dynamis) only for a few months, but at least I was able to play about at my leisure, the wife put her foot down, so I couldn't try any more!
I have had the PowerCab while trying all of these other units and it's the one I still have left all the others have been sold, this may tell you something!
Other users will have their own opinions and the order above will be completely different, as will their reasons!

Ask yourself, do I want a cab control or console based control, what is the maximum I can afford right now, if you can afford £300 just for a control system then buy the best controller for your money, if the £300 needs to buy a control system and decoders/locos then buy the best decoders and a cheaper controller!
I was always told that any controller should be able to control any decoder (exceptions noted) the easier and more user friendly it is the better your experience will be.
The decoder is the part that does all of the work though and makes the biggest difference to how the motor(loco) will run, so make sure you get good decoders preferably with the goof-proof warranty, if you connect it wrong it gets replaced free of charge!

HTH

Intersteing to see your views on the above systems and that the Hornby Elite rates 2nd of the ones you have tried, as many people criticise them

Cost will be an issue -- oh how we all wish it wasn't --- so I will be looking to get decent decoders and probably a slightly less expensive controller which has add ons available when future funds permit

·
Registered
57 Posts
Personaly I like the NCE Powercab, I use the Lenz 100 on a friends layout and thats to clunky, I have tried the Bachmann at Warley and found it a bit fiddly with the joystick. The powercab has buttons and a thumb wheel which gives excellent control. The only down side is that you can only recall 2 loco from memory where as the Bachmann is 40 loco's. You can get a booster for the powercab for £50 that gives more amps. I run three loco's at once, 2 with sound on a 10x6' layout and had no probs.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I tried both at Warley and went for the NCE purely because I prefer the roller for controlling speed to the Dynamis joystick. Both systems are upgradeable to full DCC systems. I was very tempted by the wire free walkabout of Dynamis but as I was likely to do a lot of shunting I went for the control roller.
Digitrains had both on their stand and I was able, and encouraged, to play with both and ask searching questions which they competently answered.
I've been very happy with it and to be honest I would recommend either from what I've seen, as I mentioned my decision came down to a fairly minor preference. Bachmann add ons and parts will be more widely available though due to their dealer network.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Another thing is the CV programming and reading, I didn't consider this an issue as I use a PC based programmer because having it all laid out on screen makes it much easier. SPROGDCC £50 extra but very versatile and will program any decoder going.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts