Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly I would like to say that I have been looking at and reading the site for just over 3 weeks now and I must say that it is extremely instructional but perhaps just a bit too technical for me at times!

I am a complete model train novice so please do have patience with me. I bought my son a Hornby DCC set at Christmas but he is desperate for a system that also has sound.

I wonder if you knowledgeable people could answer any of the following:-

Is it possible to use Hornby loco fitted with a Hornby DCC chip with a Bachmann EZ controller?

Conversely can you use a Bachmann DCC loco with the Hornby Select system and if so would the Bachmann class 20's sound system work with the select?

Finally can you mix Bachmann and Hornby track together?

Many thanks in advance for your comments and remember please be gentle with me!!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi Steve
In answer to your question the reply is - Yes they can be mixed and matched (Or at least they should be able to be mixed!). Some problems with the new Hornby decoder is causing a ripple through the DCC world at the moment, but this will be resolved and there shouldn't be any issues with what your asking anyway.

·
Registered
763 Posts
You ought to be able to do this. It's what's supposed to happen

If you can't , then there is a problem ....

Using a Hornby loco and Hornby decoder on Bachmann EZ should be fine.

Running a Bachmann sound equipped loco on the Select is a little more uncertain. It seems there is some kind of glitch/signal distortion with the first Select units that means some decoders are struggling to read the signal. Other decoders can cope fine (This is a bug which I'm sure will be sorted out pretty quickly)

Also one of the magazines reported that they couldn't get all the function controls working on their Select unit . Since you need lots on functions to work everything on a sound decoder, lets hope this was a one off duff unit

But in principle there should be no problem

1 - 3 of 3 Posts